An impertinent question.

Bear

Reaction score
I'm wondering what my next, and probably last, motorcycle will be. I keep thinking that the simplicity of a Himalayan appeals but I'm 6'6" with a 36" inseam. Is there anyone my build running a Himalayan and if so, how comfortable is it over a full day's ride?

Last edited:
My mate who is 6' 3" has one and loves it, but only used for afternoon bimbles.
I tried it and I'm 6' 4" with 33 " inside leg. I didn't feel that it would be comfortable for me. The shorter legs mean longer back and more bent over than sat up!

The only way to find out if a motorcycle suits YOU, is to ride one on an extended test, not 20 minutes down the road and back.

Bods rave about the Himalayan and the Scram. I rode both. If I wanted a bike to ride for an hour, only on a Sunday, along every twisty road in a 30 mile radius of home, I’d maybe chose the Scram. But I don’t, so I (at six foot) chose the Himalayan. Even then, the Himalayan is a state of mind. Can YOU (not me, not the bloke next door or the reviewer on YouTube) live with 25 horse power, all day every day? Can YOU live without the huge panniers and top box? Can YOU live without all the bling?

Bods rave about the water cooled engine of the GS. I think it’s a horrible engine but the same engine in the RT works, in my opinion, really well. If I read and believed every opinion on this site, I’d have bought the GS version and been banging on Hilltop’s door.

I'm wondering what my next, and probably last, motorcycle will be. I keep thinking that the simplicity of a Himalayan appeals but I'm 6'6" with a 36" inseam. Is there anyone my build running a Himalayan and if so, how comfortable is it over a full day's ride?
I think a well sorted twin cam GSA from 2010-2012 might be a better option for a big chap like yourself. Easy bike to work on if inclined, relatively simple bike and a lot more characterful than the WC bikes.

I see RE Meteor is the top selling bike this year....

b28cba722e152fd5b45796d19d1a9ba7.jpg

Royal Enfield Meteor 350

Much cheaper than say, the equivalent Triumph.

I wonder how many are bought:

A. As a second bike.

B. By those “I go out on Sunday for an hour, to feel alive” merchants, who have discovered that you don’t need huge panniers and to go to Hilltop to do the same thing.

C. By those for whom insurance and running costs are becoming a joke.

D. By those who have swallowed the whole retro ‘Cruiser cool’ image but don’t want to (or can’t) spank thousands on a Harley or similar.

E. By those for whom the effort of lifting their motorbike onto and off its centre stand (or even up off its side stand) was all a bit too much.

F. By those, short of leg, who (despite their aspirations) have finally accepted that buying a bike that was too tall for them, was not the greatest idea they have had this year.

Much cheaper than say, the equivalent Triumph.

I wonder how many are bought:

A. As a second bike.

B. By those “I go out on Sunday for an hour, to feel alive” merchants, who have discovered that you don’t need huge panniers and to go to Hilltop to do the same thing.

C. By those for whom insurance and running costs are becoming a joke.

D. By those who have swallowed the whole retro ‘Cruiser cool’ image but don’t want to (or can’t) spank thousands on a Harley or similar.

E. By those for whom the effort of lifting their motorbike onto and off its centre stand (or even up off its side stand) was all a bit too much.

F. By those, short of leg, who (despite their aspirations) have finally accepted that buying a bike that was too tall for them, was not the greatest idea they have had this year.
I think ....
G: I remember when bikes were bikes and looked like this, I'll get some rock n roll in the ear pods and cruise round the old haunts, a 350 won't kill me surely

Thanks for the advice gentlemen. At my height most motorcycles are somewhat cramped but my last two (both hexhead GSs) were improved by lowering the footpegs. Whether anything suitable for the Himalayan is available is something to search for if a test ride shows promise. How long I'd need to ride for to mke a decision is yet to be seen but if my local dealer isn't keen on the idea of 200 miles (a reasonable if not exceptional day's ride) then it suggests he's not serious about selling bikes. How I'll take to 25 bhp after 110 is another matter: overtaking would certainly need recalibrating.

Back
Top Bottom