Fall ride in West Virginia

Clifton

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
After enjoying the almost professional quality trip postings of all over the world here I'm almost embarrassed to even share my little 3-day ride a couple counties away.

23, 24, and 25 Sept.
Five of us, Jim and Bob on KTM 690 Enduros, Dave and Jeff on DR650's, myself on a Tenere' 700, began by leaving Friday from Preston County WV to ride south a few Counties to Pendleton County where we stayed the night in a "modest" motel in Brandywine. There is a nice little National campground nearby but it doesn't take reservations, first come basis only. We were concerned it might be filled so decided to book rooms at the "Brandywine Motel-Foxes Pizza-Trailer Court". We did check out the campground and in hind site should have camped because it is nice with water and hot showers and was only 1/3 occupied. And the $20 cost per site would only be $10 with our Senior Passes. https://www.fs.usda.gov/recarea/gwj/recarea/?recid=73617

This was on the way up to Spruce Knob Friday which at 4,800' is the highest point in WV.

Hunters tend to vent their frustration on road signs.

The ride to Brandywine took most of the beautiful day which was sunny and 60-65 (18c) degrees. After checking in to our rooms we decided to have "Foxes Pizza" for dinner before partaking in beverages.

Saturday was another beautiful day and we spent it riding local roads in Pendleton and Grant Counties.

After stopping for that last pic I rushed after my buddies but coming to a T intersection they weren't around? After waiting a few minutes I went left (as it turned out they had turned right).

I eventually came to a paved road and while pulled over to remove the heated jacket liner and snap a pic here they came from the right.

We had no set route we simply would take lefts and rights from one road to the next road that looked interesting.

Lunch break at this convenience store near Big Bend National campground.

Yours truly in the suit with hi-viz.

Back on the road we had only gone maybe 6 miles when we came on a distillery on Rt 220 north of Franklin, needless to say we stopped. There were only two people working the cider and bourbon tasting room but they were drop dead gorgeous young ladies, one with black hair the other a redhead. I wish I'd had thought to take pics of the place, and them! I was more interested in them (and their 3 bourbons which offered by the brunette) so I chatted with her while sampling all three, which were surprisingly tasty and smooth. They are all aged 4 years and the corn is grown on the farm next door. There's a 100 proof, cask strength 117 proof, and 117 proof aged in sherry casks, I bought a bottle of 117 proof for sipping over ice that evening and a bottle finished in sherry casks. Bob, and Jeff eventually left the redhead after sampling her ciders to sample bourbon and they both bought the same as I did. I shifted to the redhead but didn't have enough room in my panniers for cider.

Back on the bikes and feeling wonderful, we meandered back to Brandywine mostly on gravel roads such as:

Just south of Brandywine is Sugar Grove which had a Naval Base (it was closed around 8 years back). Given that WV doesn't border the Atlantic it always seemed an odd location but supposedly it had something to do with submarine communication. It's a fairly large complex with over 90 houses and many other structures all securely fenced in. My understanding is someone purchased the whole works for 12 million dollars but somehow the deal fell through and the latest is some other federal agency plans to use it.

Saturday dinner at the only restaurant in Brandywine.

We all went with the $21 "special" which was 1 pound of shrimp, a 12 ounce rib eye, and baked potato. My dog Sophie is still feasting on the leftovers I brought home.

Dave needed to be back Sunday by 1:00 so we took a more direct route on pavement at a faster pace so I didn't stop to take any pics Sunday.

Looks like whoever did that room's electrical installation had beaten you to most of the whiskey. :jager :D

Thank you and yes the weather was nice. We did get into strong wind and heavy rain for about 20 miles on the return but otherwise it couldn't have been much nicer. I guess I didn't take any pics of us on paved roads but we were on a lot of them as well, barely 2 lane wide up and down the hills through forests and small farms, seldom seeing another vehicle.

Yes seems like most of the motels we stay in are old, with old wiring and an insufficient number of receptacles. But $50 a night is reasonable around here for today's prices.

Great photos of your part of the world Clifton which given the opportunity we all would travel :thumby:

It’s interesting that I have just picked up the book, ‘Zen and the art of motorcycle maintenance’, for the umpteenth time. I read about the US hinterland away from the freeways which your pictures describe - perfectly!

Looks like a weekend of bliss, and that special with a tot or two would round off a perfect evening.

Thank you G&T. Most tourist/riders like to hit the the western States (and I do too) but the Appalachians in the mid Atlantic part of the US (eastern Ohio, WV, eastern Tennessee, western North Carolina, north Georgia, western Virginia and Maryland) is arguably as good of riding as it gets here. Lots of curvy, hilly roads with very little traffic. Of course I've heard of "Zen and the art of motorcycle maintenance" but have not read it, but if you enjoy it enough to have read it multiple times I need to get that book.

It was John. It doesn't get much better than riding a motorcycle, good friends, and good bourbon!

Lovely ride Clifton and brings me back to riding the Blue Ridge Parkway in 2010 as part of a coast-to-coast ride. You are very lucky to have all of that on your doorstep and to have the Smoky Mountains of Tennessee within a days ride too.

I like a good bourbon too and am sipping on a Makers Mark as I type here, but of late I have gotten into sherry cask matured Irish whiskies which I find really suit my pallette, so I think I'd love a shot of that Swilled Dog bourbon.
:thumb2

Thank you Aidan, it was nice and of course made better by being with friends.

Cheers, Maker's is probably my "go-to" bottle when I want a smooth, affordable bourbon. Whisky (whiskey?) selection is not great here but I'll look for Irish that's been aged in sherry casks. RE Swilled Dog, the lovely lady said due to archaic ABC regulations they can only sell their bourbon in West Virginia but they are permitted to export their ciders to other States.
If I ever visit Ireland I'll be sure to pack a bottle of Swilled Dog for you. :)

Hi Clifton
Unbelievably we stayed at the Brandy Wine motel on 22nd September, the day before you arrived, as we rode the MABDR north to south. The riding round there is superb both tarmac and trail.
I’m sure we went on some of the same routes, including the track with the cattle on it. We had dinner in the restaurant - nice to eat some vegetables 😄.
Next morning we went over to Franklin and were treated to a free breakfast by the locals - Southern hospitality. We rejoined the MABDR by riding the Dickenson Mountain road and on to Sugar Grove

What a coincidence, gspod! I assume you are here in the US, where from? Yes my 13th image was Dickenson Mountain road.

What a coincidence, gspod! I assume you are here in the US, where from? Yes my 13th image was Dickenson Mountain road.

Over from the UK riding the Americas. In Houston at the moment, looking to cross over into Mexico on Wednesday morning.

"Ere, Dermot, where's your daily ride report and YouTube channel????

Hope you're having a great time in the Americas. Judging by Clifton's pictures, it's a great place to be.

Thanks Tufty
Will do a RR at some stage.

What a great ride you’re doing gspod, enjoy! And share a few pics with us as you go.

Back
Top Bottom