How long?! Trying to book a service.

Colin_S

Reaction score
Rang my local dealer to book a service and as usual didn't get through to the service department. The operator asked why I was calling and said she'd have someone ring me back and also mentioned they were looking at dates in December now. That's over 2 months away. Is it just my dealer or is this a common theme?

No call back yet 24 hours later either...

Rang my local dealer to book a service and as usual didn't get through to the service department. The operator asked why I was calling and said she'd have someone ring me back and also mentioned they were looking at dates in December now. That's over 2 months away. Is it just my dealer or is this a common theme?

Common theme, and not just bikes / BMW.

A friend of mine needs some work done on her car ( breakdown) , earliest the dealer can fit it into the workshop is 17th Oct !

Had to wait a month for my service back in July too
Thats for BMW in my case

At most garages whether it be a service or MOT, you need to book at least 1 month in advance. Contrary to most peoples opinions, they get booked up fast - especially around April & September due to it being new reg season. Everyone in a vehicle from the last 3 years is at least getting a service, and potentially an MOT too.

I guess the driveshaft works are not helping with workshop backlogs but over two months does seem excessive. I'll report back with the actual wait when I do get a date booked.... if they ever ring back.

My BMW car needed a recall. Phoned the dealer in Tuesday, appointment on Thursday, took 3 hours.

Staff shortage, not an uncommon complaint at UK dealers.

Booked mine in last friday for 6th October - no problem.

My mate bought a new R1250GS in June, after a couple of weeks he tried to book it in for its 600 mile service and the BMW dealership he bought it from quoted 3 months and told him that “they didn’t advise him increasing the mileage before the 600 mile service is done as it could affect the warranty”. After a bit of arguing with 2 BMW dealerships, they offered to squeeze him in 3 weeks later by which time his mileage was just over 1000 miles. He was not best pleased but they did tell him his warranty shouldn’t be affected!

My mate bought a new R1250GS in June, after a couple of weeks he tried to book it in for its 600 mile service and the BMW dealership he bought it from quoted 3 months and told him that “they didn’t advise him increasing the mileage before the 600 mile service is done as it could affect the warranty”. After a bit of arguing with 2 BMW dealerships, they offered to squeeze him in 3 weeks later by which time his mileage was just over 1000 miles. He was not best pleased but they did tell him his warranty shouldn’t be affected!

This happened to me with my last GS and I just went to a very reputable independent BMW servicing place.

its the same with kawasaki -

i just booked my running in service before i picked the bike up last saturday and adjusted work so i could get the runing in miles sorted before rather than make an appointment when its got 550 miles and i cannot use it for several weeks

why you need one in this day and age is beyond me, wife's new car - keep below a specified rev for 1000 miles then increase steadily, next service at 19000 or one year - no running in service required - why not with bikes? - modern oils/technology shouldn't be really necessary.

Just to update the thread, it's now two weeks since leaving a message with the dealer's operator asking for a call back from the service department and about ten days since I completed a service request online on the dealers website as belt and braces and I've still not had any contact from them. So, Arden's of Tunbridge Wells obviously doesn't need my money which is now going to a highly recommended independent instead who can fit me in next week.

I did toy with taking a ride to the dealership to try booking it in in person but after reading the thread on the failed shock absorber who was given a similar lead time of December to get the bike in at the same dealer I decided that I'll support a local business instead and save probably over £100 in the process.

I recently traded my GS for an XR at Bahnstormer in Alton. The GS was in for warranty work (replacement of Engine casings due to paint faults) and was dropped off on Sept 3rd . . . it's still there in many pieces i n their workshop! Having bought the XR while the GS was being worked on, I now need a running in service for the XR - November 25th was the earliest I could get yesterday . . . Waiting times are definitely not improving at the moment.

Provided you take your bike your or car to a vat registered dealer/garage/repairer and they use genuine parts and service it according to manufacturers spec it will not affect your warranty. Anyone who tells you different is a mugging you off

Provided you take your bike your or car to a vat registered dealer/garage/repairer and they use genuine parts and service it according to manufacturers spec it will not affect your warranty. Anyone who tells you different is a mugging you off

No there not, but an independent trying to raise / discuss a oem warranty claim may there work cut out so to speak, unlike a factory main dealer

My GSA broke down on me and it was with the dealer for two weeks before they could diagnose the cause . Then a further month till the faults and parts were fitted; parts availability not the issue . ‘Workshop time’ , lack of , being a big problem together with ‘technician’ absence. Result no motorcycling mid summer for me.
It’s a common story everywhere , and also involves another motorcycle make here .

Then , to ‘throw more spanners into the works’ , BMW issue a recall for every GS/GSA since 2013 !!!

Then , to ‘throw more spanners into the works’ , BMW issue a recall for every GS/GSA since 2013 !!!
My understanding is that it isn’t a recall ie they won’t be chasing all GS/GSA bikes via VOSA or DVLA or other such registers. The work is stated as a product enhancement and will be only undertaken on bikes that pass through dealership workshops. Bikes serviced or otherwise, independently won’t be done and I’m sure BMW will not be worried in the slightest.
Alan R

No they did not!

They started a technical campaign, which is a million miles away from a recall. and can be done at any time,

I recently traded my GS for an XR at Bahnstormer in Alton. The GS was in for warranty work (replacement of Engine casings due to paint faults) and was dropped off on Sept 3rd . . . it's still there in many pieces i n their workshop! Having bought the XR while the GS was being worked on, I now need a running in service for the XR - November 25th was the earliest I could get yesterday . . . Waiting times are definitely not improving at the moment.

My 1250 is in at another dealer for new crankcase and barrels due to corrosion at the end of this month they say a week to complete and lending me a courtesy bike ,let's hope the work is done quicker than yours !I would certainly not be happy if an engine was sitting around partially assembled .

Back
Top Bottom