Long time coming

tis eye

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
For a while I've been thinking on and off about a Harley, so I've chopped in the S1000XR today for a 2003 Street Glide, i have the 650GS as a daily ride so the XR wasn't really getting used... never ridden a Harley and i've bought this one unseen but from a dealer i have bought from before so no worries there, it'll be an interesting "getting to know each other" few days when she arrives next Friday - very excited! :beerjug:

Attachments

• 60b8b7d9ebc90.jpg
    60b8b7d9ebc90.jpg
    256.7 KB · Views: 485
The rear brake will feature heavily in your future :rob Nice looking bike :thumb

Check the history for updated cam chain tensioners…..

Enjoy. But I believe it's a Super Glide, not a Street Glide. Street Glide is the big ugly one with the touring frame, bags and heavy bat wing fairing on the bars.

I thought the Super Glides came with Mag wheels rather than spokes. May be wrong, but the spokes look better anyway.

The rear brake will feature heavily in your future :rob Nice looking bike :thumb

What he said...Plan ahead for Stopping.
Like, days ahead!! :blast
And I'm speaking as the owner of (among others) a Street Bob that shares the same Brake Set Up as yours.
Laughingly enough though, someone thought mine needed ABS!!:nenau:D

What he said...Plan ahead for Stopping.
Like, days ahead!! :blast
And I'm speaking as the owner of (among others) a Street Bob that shares the same Brake Set Up as yours.
Laughingly enough though, someone thought mine needed ABS!!:nenau:D

You might want to get that brake checked out……on my 2016(ish) Street Bob the front brake was plenty good enough.

You might want to get that brake checked out……on my 2016(ish) Street Bob the front brake was plenty good enough.
It’s a new Caliper with new Pads and fresh Fluid.
It performs just like my 2011 one did when I bought it new.
I’m obviously exaggerating the “Planning days ahead” part, but they’re pretty poor nevertheless.
Of course, that has to be weighed against the fact that I mostly ride a GSA, the Brakes of which I’ve yet to find a match for on a Bike

It’s a new Caliper with new Pads and fresh Fluid.
It performs just like my 2011 one did when I bought it new.
I’m obviously exaggerating the “Planning days ahead” part, but they’re pretty poor nevertheless.
Of course, that has to be weighed against the fact that I mostly ride a GSA, the Brakes of which I’ve yet to find a match for on a Bike

…....I could get the ABS kicking in with two fingers.

…....I could get the ABS kicking in with two fingers.

Hmmmm, mine is way below par if that's the case.
Don't get me wrong, the Brakes work and the Bike went through the MOT with no Issues.
I've never found Single Front Disc HD's to be at all confidence inspiring in the Brake Dept, especially in Pack Riding.
I've spent more on Brake Upgrades over the years than anything else I think.

Cheers all, i'm really looking forward to getting on it! I'm sure the brake are going to be as bad as the comments but that'll be part of the charm i'm sure and yes @adm1 it's a super glide (corrected) :beerjug: with a 29 inside leg what are the chances of me getting both feet down.... and i might have to do some exercises to get it in the garage :weights

Hmmmm, mine is way below par if that's the case.
Don't get me wrong, the Brakes work and the Bike went through the MOT with no Issues.
I've never found Single Front Disc HD's to be at all confidence inspiring in the Brake Dept, especially in Pack Riding.
I've spent more on Brake Upgrades over the years than anything else I think.
The front brake on my 2020 Street Bob is fine. No concerns at all. The rear brake is a different story... but, according to some, a change to EBC sintered pads improves matters. I haven't bothered yet because the front, with ABS, does the job

with a 29 inside leg what are the chances of me getting both feet down.... and i might have to do some exercises to get it in the garage :weights

You will be absolutely fine. Both feet fully flat, no issue. You'll be able to do the famous Harley duck walk!

You will also be surprised how easy it is to get in the garage.

The front brake on my 2020 Street Bob is fine. No concerns at all. The rear brake is a different story... but, according to some, a change to EBC sintered pads improves matters. I haven't bothered yet because the front, with ABS, does the job

EBC Sintered are in the Front as we speak.
It may be that they need to Bed In a while longer though, the Bike doesn't get much use.
Buying my first GSA a good few years back has really made having a "Mixed Stable" a bit pointless!

Cheers - It's next Friday - but still very excited!! - and there are endless farkles for said bike that i need to consider too... :blast

Harley brakes have always been a black art,over the years I have fitted all sorts of caliper/disc combinations on every thing from my '78 Shovel,Road King,twin cam Dyna,etc.
Braided brake lines and Dot5 fluid was always used,after resealing and thoroughly purging the system of dot4,combined with steel discs and the latest calipers worked best, Stainless drilled discs were the craze in the early 80's along with expensive Billet alloy calipers,these weren't alot better in my experience.
My 06 Road King ran stock parts with good braided lines and Dot 5 fuid,and stock pads and was the best stopping Harley I had,and that is a heavy bike.
If I had got a GS 20 yrs ago it would have saved me a fortune,fantastic brakes as they are.Harleys first front brake was fitted for 1928 models,so they should be getting it sorted any time soon !

It’s today !! Half day at work then I’m on “Harleyday” this afternoon to take delivery and wave goodbye to the XR… Can you feel the excitement 😎

Back
Top Bottom