Durston X-Mid 2 Solid

Udders

A Needy Twat
UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Anyone pre ordered one? :nenau
I’m very tempted but nearly £180 in shipping and import duties is sort of putting me off!
They do look to be very roomy and extremely lightweight. The pack size is certainly excellent. I think one could be very good for multi day mountain walks in Scotland or the Lake District. I have a good set of walking poles that I use and take anyway so may work well. It’s just those extra charges! :blast
https://www.kaviso.com/collections/durston-gear

Get it bought, the £/$ isn't going to get better any time soon, that I can see.

Get it bought, the £/$ isn't going to get better any time soon, that I can see.

The seed is sewn ... he'll get one!
As the nights grow longer and the fantasies stronger, he will give in after one too many.

Been there, done it & have a drawer full of unworn T-shirts.

The seed is sewn ... he'll get one!
As the nights grow longer and the fantasies stronger, he will give in after one too many.

Been there, done it & have a drawer full of unworn T-shirts.

I did. Ordered one Tuesday afternoon as soon as they came back into stock. :thumb2 Should be here on Friday. :thumb2

Will you be using treking poles or have you ordered Durstons?

Will you be using treking poles or have you ordered Durstons?

I already have a nice pair of trekking poles so I’ll be using them. :thumb2
I sort of thought it defeated the object of getting a trekking pole tent if I bought poles for it so I didn’t. :thumb2

I already have a nice pair of trekking poles so I’ll be using them. :thumb2
I sort of thought it defeated the object of getting a trekking pole tent if I bought poles for it so I didn’t. :thumb2

Mmm, unless you're on the bike.

Two days to get from Columbus, Ohio to my parents house. Not bad! :thumb2

Attachments

• IMG_3514.jpg
    IMG_3514.jpg
    243.4 KB · Views: 161
Speedy things, aeroplanes…… and much quicker than the £2 fishing flies, that the bod in the pub is ranting on about.

Out of interest, is there an advantage of this tarp type tent, over say a good quality tarp from Hilleberg?

Thank you.

I hadn’t looked at the pictures fully enough and had missed the inner tent.

Built in ground sheet, insect proof, pre-set geometry..

Correct. Not as light as just a tarp obvs because it’s a tent but a fair bit lighter than the Hilleberg Rogen I have. The X Mid, fully packed is 1135g as opposed to 1.8kgs of the Rogen. Not a massive difference I know but if you’re carrying it on your back for 3 or 4 days it can make quite a difference. I will still use the Rogen though for an overnight walk if the weather is going to be particularly crap.
I use walking poles when I’m out and about anyway so I may as well make use of them to hold a lightweight tent up. :thumb2
Oh and the pack size is considerably smaller than a tent with poles. Another bonus when you have to carry everything you need for a few days.

All good points, Udders.

I looked at some independent reviews and they seem well made. They would be good for anyone wanting to save space and weight on a motorcycle, especially if they expected good weather for the duration of their trip.

Well, that was blooming easy! :thumb2
Peg out both corners of one the short ends, get one of the long end pegs in as square as you can to them then peg out the last corner one where it can only go. Sorted! :thumb2
Open one of the doors, locate the hole where the tip of the pole goes and adjust it up so it’s tight then do the same one the other side and that’s it. :thumb2
There are two pre fitted guy lines up on the top by the pole tips if it gets particularly blowy plus plenty of other peg out points and loops for extra guy lines if needed. :thumb2
The two halves of the doors can clip together at the bottom to stop the zips accidentally opening in the wind. I like it! :D Obviously not tried it up a hill yet but will next week up in Scotland. I’ll let anyone know how it performs good or bad.

Attachments

• IMG_1676.jpg
    IMG_1676.jpg
    247.4 KB · Views: 131
  • IMG_1677.jpg
    IMG_1677.jpg
    252.6 KB · Views: 130
  • IMG_1682.jpg
    IMG_1682.jpg
    246.7 KB · Views: 132
  • IMG_1680.jpg
    IMG_1680.jpg
    248.8 KB · Views: 129
The vestibules are fairly big too. Plenty good enough for a good size rucksack and big enough to cook in if needed. :thumb2
This is the two person version and it’s also called a “ solid “ because it has material on the inner tent doors up to about half the height. They also do a version the same size with complete mesh inner doors.
They also do a smaller 1 person version with both mesh and half mesh inners.
And a total weight of 1135g!

Attachments

• IMG_1679.jpg
    IMG_1679.jpg
    247 KB · Views: 109
  • IMG_1681.jpg
    IMG_1681.jpg
    249.7 KB · Views: 109
  • IMG_1683.jpg
    IMG_1683.jpg
    248.7 KB · Views: 108
I have a Terra Nova Superlite Voyager that weighs 1.4kg all in.
It's a semi geo 3 pole affair with mainly solid interior. It took an absolute beasting for 3 days on the North Uist Machair as the Atlantic storm raged.
I'm surprised it survived, I doubt your Boy Scout shelter would.

I'm just not getting this new trend for selling an incomplete tent?

A Scarp Tarptent would be more up my street, but have an Akto.

I was looking at my tents the other day and I have 8.
The Staika is currently a £1000 per night Penthouse after a single evening in weather so flat calm the guys are still knotted up from new.

I bought one of those long handled titanium sporks the other day that reaches to the bottom of a Wayfarer - Not too sure why as I never touch that shite.

It's a disease I tell ye ... :rob

Back
Top Bottom