Heated Grips

GrahamWebb

Reaction score
How hot are the heated grips supposed to get on a 2010 GSA? I used mine for the first time yesterday riding to work and back as was wearing thin summer gloves and although they got warmish and stopped my hands going numb they could have done with being a bit hotter. Are they somehow linked to ambient temps as I cant help thinking they wouldn't be much use in proper cold weather if they are only that warm.

How hot are the heated grips supposed to get on a 2010 GSA? I used mine for the first time yesterday riding to work and back as was wearing thin summer gloves and although they got warmish and stopped my hands going numb they could have done with being a bit hotter. Are they somehow linked to ambient temps as I cant help thinking they wouldn't be much use in proper cold weather if they are only that warm.

There was an issue with the first load of WC GSs but a 2010 model they should get to unbearable level of hot on full power

Mine has two settings one dot and two dots and both and just warmish with 2 being slightly warmer.

I've no idea in terms of Degrees C, but on a day like yesterday, the 2 Dot Setting is great at speed but has to be turned down or off pretty quickly when sat in Traffic or bimbling around at Village Speeds.

So why do you think mine are not that hot, it was about 8c going to work and about 13c coming home, I turned them on when my hands started to feel cold. They warmed up a bit but never hot, i stopped at the level crossing near home and pulled off a glove and tried them, just a bit warm not hot. Better than nothing but I think they should be hotter.

So why do you think mine are not that hot, it was about 8c going to work and about 13c coming home, I turned them on when my hands started to feel cold. They warmed up a bit but never hot, i stopped at the level crossing near home and pulled off a glove and tried them, just a bit warm not hot. Better than nothing but I think they should be hotter.

Sorry Graham, I've no idea really.
I don't see why they would only operate at a low level.
I would have thought that they would either work or not, being a Continuous Wire Element on each side.
I'm sure someone far more knowledgeable than me will spring up at some point though....

Hexhead and LC

1 dot defcon 2 very hot

2 dots defcon 1 melt flesh

there are without doubt the hottest grips ive ever come accross :)

position 1 - too hot round town - too cold on a run
position 2 - far too hot round town, and a cross between often too hot under 50 mph and ineffective above 80mph

if you read the hand book its says position 2 is for rapid warm up NOT continued use
if you ride covering the brakes then the lever freezes your fingers, especially when above 60mph
the hand guards cause wind disturbance bringing cold air on you hands (that said for the std one's), some GSA get a slightly different design on the hand-guard - not sure if that helps or makes it worse
a heated seat would be a better choice, keeping core temp up so warm blood reaches extremities - only took BM 19 years to work that out as an option ???
2018 bikes get 5 settings, its much the same too cold or too hot

they wear so might have either after-market grips on std heater or non standard heater elements and grips

position 1 at 20 to 30 mile per hour for 20 mins ride and it helps otherwise it doesn't really

Yep, maintaining a decent core temp is key. I wear a Keiss jacket with kidney, chest, arm and collar warming panels and I am very rarely cold, even at the extremities. I wear BMW 2 in 1 gloves all year, and I'm one of those riders that covers the break constantly. A hot brew and making sure you are fed also goes along way to keeping warm on a bike. I used to commute all year round on a bike, 165 miles each way and learnt that frequent stops, no more than a hour riding, really helps to keep warm. Heated grips are ok,and they certainly help, but maintaining a decent core temp is the key to keeping warm now the weather is changing.

I have ridden to work before on bright February days, about 50 miles of a and b roads through the South Downs and Surrey Hills. Have had my leathers white with the frost from freezing fog before and got to work with numb hands and can barely walk. ;)

I was hoping the heated grips will help with that. The bike came with some cheap fake grip puppies so will try taking those off and see if I can move the hand guards around a bit so they block the wind more.

I have ridden to work before on bright February days, about 50 miles of a and b roads through the South Downs and Surrey Hills. Have had my leathers white with the frost from freezing fog before and got to work with numb hands and can barely walk. ;)

I was hoping the heated grips will help with that. The bike came with some cheap fake grip puppies so will try taking those off and see if I can move the hand guards around a bit so they block the wind more.
Getting rid of the grip puppies will certainly help - maybe you should have mentioned that bit before

I have a theory about hand guards - My hands suffer badly from the cold due to once having had a ild case of frost bite ( frost nip) and I have always had hand guards until I got the street fighter. I was concerned that my hands would get too cold without guards but actually they have been warmer

So maybe the guards create a "pocket" of cold air that your hands sit in but for certain I have not had to use the heated grips as much to be comfortable

Mine are pretty poor.

With summer gloves and can ride around with them on 1 or 2 dots and they are warmish
The throttle grip gets warmer than the clutch side.
as it gets colder and i wear my winter gloves they are useless, i cant feel the heat through the thicker gloves so just don't use them.

I've never had heated grips on any other bike, so don't know how they should be to be honest, but I'm not impressed.
i bought bigger wind/hand guards to keep my hands warmer which has helped a little.

Its odd some people say that they get uncomfortably hot and others not that hot at all. I have stopped after a run and taken my gloves off and gripped them and they are just a bit warm and not hot.

Just checked mine, and on the hottest setting, I cannot hold them with my bare hands. On tick over they were just warm - hold the revs at 2000 rpm and they get much hotter!

never noticed a change due to revs or bat volts

I think if you cover the brakes (like you need to if you want to stay alive longer term), it encourages air turbulence that makes the inside soft part of your fingers get colder than on a conventional bike - I came to the conclusion its likely intentional as you get less sweaty in the summer than you might anticipate

my right grip was 25% hotter than the left one, when I moved to the TC safer throttle over brake lever set up rather than the deadly restrict brake movement on the 2004 to 2008 bikes, the TC ones are far closer balanced but still 10% hotter on the right.

on the K1300 same idea right significant hotter - heated seat same issue to cold above 60 and then burn your bum on pos 2 until you get to 80mph and its not enough

my 5 or 7 setting other BM (forget which) has this on both the grips and the seat and its still all wrong - it needs speed sensitivity built in to the grunt they feed them, - and the right is still hotter than the left ! - but now 6 hours of menu hunting to make a change

No - it gets to a temp and maintains doesn't care where its going

the need for grip puppies is because BM oddly use smaller diameter grips than other bike manufacturers, (I not talking wear just thinner)

a GS is about 3mm diameter less than Japanese bikes and causes some mild exacerbation of carpel tunnel issues in your forearm (the effect is because its some 8cm to small)
a K1300 is even thinner again about 4mm less and its causes wrist strain and terrible discomfort - I had to use grip puppies on the 1300 oddly they get hot much the same - which was a surprise

this appalling and totally unnecessary mega design flaw gets worse with the terrible suspension of modern ESA bike's that jiggle the rider rather than operate the suspension - in particular if its got the pathetic fly-by wire throttle - riding a GS1200LC over std shocking British B roads means you have to fight to maintain a steady throttle setting, again in part due to the wrong selection of spring pressure - and carpel tunnel goes insane - the stupid thing is the S1000RR had a spring in its fake throttle grip housing that's about the one of the original air cooled GS - yet some lunatic at build put a pathetic one on the GS LC's, when you already had cruise to relieve strain on long trips - and thus never needed the wrong spring pressure...

its something like

.............. diameter circumference
Japanese 35.0mm 110.2mm
R1200GS 32.5mm 102.3mm
K1300..... 31.5mm . 99.2mm

Back
Top Bottom