V85TT Travel

OnHellas

Still trying.
UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
The lure of the V85TT is getting stronger and stronger although I haven’t ridden one yet. I’m away for another week and then I MUST get a test ride.
If it rides half as good as it looks I’m going to have to give it a go.

So, the Travel version. Looks nice in the gray for this year but what are the panniers and other extra bits over standard like?
Or is a standard bike better with the addition of some Bumot panniers from Cliff and team at The Adventure Bike Shop?

I won’t be going around the world on this one but short trips, a week or two, one up with lightweight camping gear maybe on the cards.

Thought please.

Welcome to the fold! I've had my V85TT about 15 months I think, and done almost 9,000 miles in that time. It's now coming up to 20k miles. Mines a 19 plate and one of the first in the country.

Great bike. My go-to bike if I'm not carrying a pillion, or trying to keep up with some of my quicker mates (GS gets the job in those instances). Servicing is so easy, valve clearances and oil/filter change in a couple of hours. Gearbox oil, bevel drive oil and air filter every 2 years. Air filter's a bugger but at least it's only every 2nd year...

My brother rode mine, liked it so much he swapped his Tiger 1050 for a new V85 Centenario, and he's still loving his.

So... my opinion for you.... Buy standard and buy the bits. Here's why:

* The Travel windscreen ain't great (I tried one and went back to standard for summer, and a Givi Airflow for long winter motorway rides) in my opinion, I got loads of buffetting (I'm 6'1").

* You'll get better panniers I think, buying aftermarket. I only use mine solo, as the GF prefers the GS. So I just sold my panniers to my Brother. They did work well, and stayed waterproof, plus the Guzzi panniers carried my laptop easier than the Varios on the GS! They did seem a bit flimsy tho... I don't know what aftermarket panniers work well with the exhaust... When I was with Nathan Millward, he was buying Bumot IIRC

* The Travel also has an extra on the console for attaching your phone. As I have a Nav6 on my GS, I bought a 4-button cradle and swap the Nav6 to the V85, so I don't need the MMI (or whatever Guzzi call it) App on the console...

Great bike. Plenty of performance when solo and obeying the speed limits. Lacks (of course it's only an 850 with 80bhp) the grunt/torque a bit if you're used to bigger bikes... Handling on the twisties is fab, especially at speed-limit speeds...

All in all I am delighted with the V85.

IMO the only reasons to buy the Travel are, (1) you like the colour or (2) you get a fab deal!

Remember the Caponord front mudguard and Pyramid Fender extender to save the front of the engine! Engine bars are a worthwhile extra too... I'm not sure if the centre stand is still an "extra"?

Attachments

• windermere 26 feb 2022.jpg
    windermere 26 feb 2022.jpg
    246 KB · Views: 352
Thanks for the info.

I’m 6’2” so good to hear that the touring screen might not be so good.
The panniers did look a bit flimsy in some of the video reviews I’ve seen.
I don’t want to plug my phone in to the bike so I don’t need that bit.

The difference in price leaves a chunk to add the bits I’d like, decent panniers, engine bars and heated grips, herd wire my TomTom and I’ll be good to go.
Thanks for the reminder on the front mudguard and fender extender.

My last long term bike was an F800GS so the power output is familiar. I had various for a few years and liked the concept but in reality the Jesse metal boxes I changed to were far superior in construction and use so Bumot could be the way forward for the TT.

I hope I like it when I ride one….or I could just order one and get on with it.

In the US, if you want panniers at all, the base V85TT is not worth it. The Adventure model which includes pannier mounts and aluminum top load panniers with rear box is only $1200 more. Mounts and all 3 boxes would cost far more than that through aftermarket. I far prefer top load panniers so I didn't even consider a Travel with the side load plastic bags. If Guzzi doesn't offer the Adventure configuration in the UK I'd do as Martin suggests and get a base V85TT then add Bumot panniers and Givi shield.

Great little bike. I agree with MartinK.
The standard is probably the one to go for. I’ve added Burmot panniers which are great and same width as the bars.
The dealer advised me against the phone connection thingy as some have had reliability issues and there is a new version in the pipeline. Plus I prefer black (Nero Etna).
I am struggling with wind noise so a new screen is next though definitely not the Travel one. It is renowned for not doing the job.
On the test ride, ignore the ‘revs flashing dashlights’ and enjoy!

I’ve had one since June 2019. 21,000 miles. Mine was pre any adventure or travel options but I added the Adv panniers top box and more. I’ve since sold the panniers and bought Bumot which are loads better - bigger, stronger and stronger fittings and better locks.

Don’t bother with the MIA comms module thing. I got one, it’s rubbish apart from some of the live data and ride review stuff. It’s a pita to connect with flakey Bluetooth.

Screen.. loads of complainants about standard and touring screens. I just find the standard screen noisy, not buffeting. Nevertheless I picked up a 2nd hand Calsci screen that is a lot quieter albeit huge.

I mostly ride with my wife on the pillion. We’ve done a couple of 4 week long trips on it, hotel based not camping. I added the Bumot pannier top bags which look good and work well for a bit of extra storage but could have managed without them. We haven’t tried two of us plus camping stuff yet. We could do it for a short trip but packing would be a bit sparse for a multi-week trip for two + tent and everything that goes with it. Solo and camping stuff would be no problem.

They are great bikes, much better than the relatively simple spec would suggest. Build quality is good although poor PDI checks at factory and dealers have let of few issuettes creep onto the market (loose fasteners mainly and overfilled final drives). Join the Facebook groups for loads of good info.

The Guzzi touring screen is not great on it's own, but add the MRA X-creen touring version and fiddle about until the noise and buffetting improves. Adjusting the blade to be almost vertical with the bottom edge as close to the screen as possible and it seems reasonably good for me at 6ft 1" tall. Just goes to show how individual the choice of screens can be.

Thanks guys. Some useful stuff there.

Bumot have always looked good although I’ve never owned them. I like dealing with Cliff at The Adventure Bike Shop.

I was wondering on the importance of the dealer PDI. I live in Kent so Colchester Kawasaki are not to far away and seem to offer some great deals. Is that because the bikes don’t get quite what they need before collection…..a cheap deal isn’t always the best deal and all that.

I use the standard screen in Summer but switch to the larger Travel screen for cooler weather. They're both noisy but the Travel is the worst. I added a cheap Amazon wind deflector to the Travel screen and just returned from a ride after fitting it and it helps quite a bit with both noise and buffeting. I don't care for the look of it though, or looking at the metal mount, so I think I'll remove it for local riding.

Thanks guys. Some useful stuff there.

Bumot have always looked good although I’ve never owned them. I like dealing with Cliff at The Adventure Bike Shop.

I was wondering on the importance of the dealer PDI. I live in Kent so Colchester Kawasaki are not to far away and seem to offer some great deals. Is that because the bikes don’t get quite what they need before collection…..a cheap deal isn’t always the best deal and all that.

Further away but you may consider Robinsons Foundry in Canterbury. I ended up there due to availability but more importantly for their customer service and workshop reputation. Fingers crossed but up to now they did a good job.

Further away but you may consider Robinsons Foundry in Canterbury. I ended up there due to availability but more importantly for their customer service and workshop reputation. Fingers crossed but up to now they did a good job.

They are my closest dealer. I live less than 10 miles from them and had a chat with them earlier this year re the TT.
(I went a different route and bought another sidecar outfit which has turned out not to be for us. The other half hates it.)

We’ve been away for a while but on our return I will go and see what the score is with availability from Robinsons.
I don’t necessarily want the cheapest deal but don’t want to end up at a dealer with a less than satisfactory reputation.

Hi Paul. Oddly I was looking at these on the Guzzzi site just today.

My thought was that for £1k extra I would rather get some decent H&B or similar panniers. OEM panniers are not always great quality and £1k is a lot to play with.

Screen - I would stick with standard or maybe cut it down a bit... but that's just me and I don't expect many to agree!

Do try one. I did and thought it bland in the extreme, with no rear brake.

Hi Paul. Oddly I was looking at these on the Guzzzi site just today.

My thought was that for £1k extra I would rather get some decent H&B or similar panniers. OEM panniers are not always great quality and £1k is a lot to play with.

Screen - I would stick with standard or maybe cut it down a bit... but that's just me and I don't expect many to agree!

That’s my general thoughts but as the OEM stuff on the Travel looks good…I know, I nearly fell for it…I thought I’d ask those that have them.

Do try one. I did and thought it bland in the extreme, with no rear brake.

I probably will, I don’t really want to make an error I’m my choice. Saying that, it’s usually bikes that are OK at test ride that I go on to really like, F800GS, XRV750, and bikes that I absolutely love immediately and have to have that turn out to not quite what I’d hoped for.

I'm on my 4th V85, so I clearly like them. I took my last one in for a service and was given a KTM 1290 sas as a loan bike. I was seduced by what is undoubtedly a fantastic bike. I kept it 7 or 8 months and decided that I actually preferred riding the V85. Sometimes less is more.
You will no doubt read from time to time that it's under powered. It is what it is, it's 76bhp but has a nice torque curve and can be ridden fairly briskly.
It's no sport, bike and will obviously find carrying a pillion and panniers full of luggage a bit of a struggle compared to a 125-160 bhp Adventure bike but, it will do it. It depends on how you want to do it. I load up fairly heavily when camping and have never felt the bike was underpowered. Yes you might have to drop a cog or two when overtaking but generally the bike has plenty of power to deliver an exhilarating ride.
It's a fabulous bike and lovely to own and ride.
As has been said the travel screen is pretty awful and does cause a lot of buffeting. I'm 5'10" but long bodied and short legged. I've found the Ermax screen to be the most effective. I've also fitted Capanord Rally handguards which also help a little.
I've also de-catted mine which cures the excessive heat from the cat in warm weather, sounds great and improves the fueling.
Go and have yourself a nice long test ride, but, be warned Guzzi's can be very addictive. I'm down to one bike at the moment and hoping to keep it that way. The thought that helps me the most is, that no matter how many bikes I have I always seem to go for the V85.

The payload limit for the V85 is in the same ball park as the GSA being 225kg I think. Which is just as well as me, mrsW bike gear, tools, bits and bobs, and luggage probably exceed that. We probably both need to go on a diet. But even loaded like that it still cruises on A roads at 60+ We recently went from 60 miles north of Inverness to Lancashire in a day (350 miles) cruising at 60ish mph on mostly A roads. Neither of us were particularly knackered, stiff or uncomfortable even though it was one of those 30c days.

Overtaking a long lorry or something uphill two-up from 50mph does need a big gap and a gear or two down but it’s doable, although I did have a frustrated guy on a Triumph explorer behind us for a while probably exasperated as to why I looked at overtaking said lorry a couple of times before eventually committing on a longer stretch at which point he breezed past both of us on probably a whiff of throttle where I was flat out in 3rd. It wheelies rather easily loaded up too.

Solo the bike is quicker and handles better than my ability to ride it safely. I’ve not found it’s limits yet anyway.

A quick word on Bumot. Over the years I’ve had Metal Mule, Transenduro, Holan, and Touratech metal boxes. Bumot are the best imho.

Wrinkley what did you do to enrich fueling after you deleted the catalyst?

I'm on my 4th V85, so I clearly like them. I took my last one in for a service and was given a KTM 1290 sas as a loan bike. I was seduced by what is undoubtedly a fantastic bike. I kept it 7 or 8 months and decided that I actually preferred riding the V85. Sometimes less is more.
You will no doubt read from time to time that it's under powered. It is what it is, it's 76bhp but has a nice torque curve and can be ridden fairly briskly.
It's no sport, bike and will obviously find carrying a pillion and panniers full of luggage a bit of a struggle compared to a 125-160 bhp Adventure bike but, it will do it. It depends on how you want to do it. I load up fairly heavily when camping and have never felt the bike was underpowered. Yes you might have to drop a cog or two when overtaking but generally the bike has plenty of power to deliver an exhilarating ride.
It's a fabulous bike and lovely to own and ride.
As has been said the travel screen is pretty awful and does cause a lot of buffeting. I'm 5'10" but long bodied and short legged. I've found the Ermax screen to be the most effective. I've also fitted Capanord Rally handguards which also help a little.
I've also de-catted mine which cures the excessive heat from the cat in warm weather, sounds great and improves the fueling.
Go and have yourself a nice long test ride, but, be warned Guzzi's can be very addictive. I'm down to one bike at the moment and hoping to keep it that way. The thought that helps me the most is, that no matter how many bikes I have I always seem to go for the V85.

I thought that you’d be along with some real world thoughts…as the resident V85TT addict.

The payload limit for the V85 is in the same ball park as the GSA being 225kg I think. Which is just as well as me, mrsW bike gear, tools, bits and bobs, and luggage probably exceed that. We probably both need to go on a diet. But even loaded like that it still cruises on A roads at 60+ We recently went from 60 miles north of Inverness to Lancashire in a day (350 miles) cruising at 60ish mph on mostly A roads. Neither of us were particularly knackered, stiff or uncomfortable even though it was one of those 30c days.

Overtaking a long lorry or something uphill two-up from 50mph does need a big gap and a gear or two down but it’s doable, although I did have a frustrated guy on a Triumph explorer behind us for a while probably exasperated as to why I looked at overtaking said lorry a couple of times before eventually committing on a longer stretch at which point he breezed past both of us on probably a whiff of throttle where I was flat out in 3rd. It wheelies rather easily loaded up too.

Solo the bike is quicker and handles better than my ability to ride it safely. I’ve not found it’s limits yet anyway.

A quick word on Bumot. Over the years I’ve had Metal Mule, Transenduro, Holan, and Touratech metal boxes. Bumot are the best imho.

Another real world appraiser. Thanks for that.
Your pace of riding sounds similar to mine these days. I rarely seem to head far north of 70mph and as it’s going to be just me I can’t see the ‘lack’ of power being a problem.

I was more than happy with my F800GS, even when it had a Ural sidecar bolted to it for an Americas trip. Two people, luggage, tools. It made it so it had enough power in my book.

Back
Top Bottom