V85TT Travel

Before i stick this in the for sale section i have a brand new OE Comfort seat for a v85tt i think it was £300 ish, Bargain @ £175

Wrinkley what did you do to enrich fueling after you deleted the catalyst?

Haven't done anything, it appears to be running fine. Although I have considered and may try one of the mistral enrichers. Not sure if they're snake oil or are of some real use.

I’ve fitted the full mistral exhaust system** plus the V twin boost too enrich the fuel a tad. It runs great although I’ve never pulled a plug to check but the pinking I used to have and loads of others report has gone.

** Big bore headers, De-cat collector box and carbon end can. All dead easy to fit although I did it at around 6000 miles and 1 year old so not much time for nuts and bolts to seize. I also replaced the manifold nuts with stainless dome head nuts. Looks lots better. V twin boost is plug and play although a bit fiddly to access the electrical connector behind/below left hand side panel. Recommended for sound, weight and heat loss and in my experience better running. I suspect fuel consumption not as good it could be though.

I've considered a booster plug or Mistral thingy (similar I believe) but those devices enrich across the entire span, where needed as well as where not needed. When I remapped a Harley I was surprised it was actually a too rich under certain throttle position and RPM but was told this is the case with almost all factory tunes. The lean running was mostly at idle and light throttle. Beetle hasn't cracked the EU5 yet but is working on it. Until then, unless something else comes along I'm leaving the cat. Mine has never detonated but I can feel it's running lean at light throttle, probably some other places as well.
I should add that overall my 2021 V85 runs well with the stock map and my understanding is there is an updated map that came out in June or July (after I bought my bike) that improves the running so next time I take it to the dealer I'll have them upload the new version.

I wanted my Guzzi to sound like a Guzzi as the standard exhaust is somewhat muted. The end can on its own was a small improvement but after exchanging messages with guys at Mistral I subsequently added the rest of the system on their recommendation and promise I would get what I was after. Which is true.

I did take the bike to a local tune up guy who phoned me a few days later to say he could do a map but it would take ages and be very expensive as a result. Something about having to to a throttle position sensor reset after each change to the map with the reset taking 15mins each time. With dozens of changes it would take too long. He did mention Beetle who he knows/knows of and I think Beetle had been advising my guy via a Tune-up forum.

I subsequently found out about a plug and play mapping module thing developed by a firm in Italy. It’s marketed in the USA through Guzzitech which I think may be linked to Beetle. Basically you pay your money for an interface device to plug into the diagnostic plug on your bike and an App. These download a copy of your bike’s fuel map which you email off to the Italian company together with details of any changes you’ve made to the bike. In return you get a customised fuel map that you download to the bike. And apparently et voila perfect running. It also removes the factory set phases in the fuelling for lean running which I believe are there for noise and emission control. The device and I think 2 maps is £300 in the uk. I will be giving it a go when I’ve got a spare £300 to spend on the bike. I’m pretty sure it works on E5 bikes as well as E4 - which mine is.

Edit… the tuning module is called UpMap.
https://store.up-map.it/en/devices/879-upmap-kit-plus-moto-guzzi.html

In Europe buy from https://www.guareschimoto.it/en/prodotto/centralina-gcorse-by-upmap-kit-t800-plus-v85tt-e4-e5/

In the USA I think there’s a few places but here’s the guzzitech link https://gtmotocycles.com/products/gtm-v7-850-v85tt-e5-upmap-device

I’ve been looking at UpMap. Does it disables the closed loop operation though? I can’t determine.

No idea my assumption would be that they do disable the lambda sensors. Maybe I’m too trusting but My assumption is that these guys know what they are doing and whatever is being done is done for a reason so if lambdas are disabled it’ll be fine.

Probably so Austin, as long as it doesn't hurt MPG much. If you do go with UpMap please report your impressions.

I don't believe Guzzitech affiliates with Beetle because I know that in the past Todd dissed Beetle and his maps. Of course Todd is all about selling whatever product or service he can make $ on.

Almost certainly the wrong place to post this, but I was on the 11:20 Le Shuttle from France to UK this morning and I spotted a “71” plate V85 nicely travel stained with the Ronald McDonald paint job on the same train. He passed me later near Bracknell and I think it was Welsh, well there was a red dragon on the tank, so just wondering, was it you?

Hi

Anyone know the cost of the first service on a V85.

Thanks

Paddy

Hi

Anyone know the cost of the first service on a V85.

Thanks

Paddy

Varies a bit according to which dealer you take it to. Around £240-£250 seems common for the first annual service but I've seen anything between £180 and £340 -
(I'm the mug that got stiffed on the latter. I bought the bike when it was a month old, did the right thing and took it to the original supplying dealer when the first servce fell due - and ended up paying about £100 too much. I dropped the bike off the day before and double checked that they were going to check the valves - as specified by MG - and it appears they then charged an extra hours labour for doing this. It should have been included in the standard service cost. I've now got a copy of Guzzis recommended service times and will be revisiting the dealer to discuss...)

Varies a bit according to which dealer you take it to. Around £240-£250 seems common for the first annual service but I've seen anything between £180 and £340 -
(I'm the mug that got stiffed on the latter. I bought the bike when it was a month old, did the right thing and took it to the original supplying dealer when the first servce fell due - and ended up paying about £100 too much. I dropped the bike off the day before and double checked that they were going to check the valves - as specified by MG - and it appears they then charged an extra hours labour for doing this. It should have been included in the standard service cost. I've now got a copy of Guzzis recommended service times and will be revisiting the dealer to discuss...)

I gotta say I felt stiffed when I had my 3year/18,000 mile service (at 21,000!!) a week or so ago. £450 :eek:. 3.5 hours labour @£65/hour, all oils, all filters, brake fluid, plugs, valves and more. Obvs the "big one" as there's not much else left able to be service. The bike ran better than its ever done afterwards and I hadn't realised how clattery the valves had got, so arguably well worth it. Parts were close to £200 anyway. Then there's the sting in tail of a whole load of VAT.

Great info, many thanks.

I thought it would be a fair bit cheaper than the BM.
And it is marginally.

Cheers all.

Paddy

Just had mine done last week. It was £170 at the supplying dealer.

Almost certainly the wrong place to post this, but I was on the 11:20 Le Shuttle from France to UK this morning and I spotted a “71” plate V85 nicely travel stained with the Ronald McDonald paint job on the same train. He passed me later near Bracknell and I think it was Welsh, well there was a red dragon on the tank, so just wondering, was it you?

That was me :)

Attachments

• IMG_3933.jpg
    IMG_3933.jpg
    161 KB · Views: 152
Hi Gary, yes, that’s the Draig goch on the tank! I’m down the Swansea valley and I was driving my campervan when I saw you. Where had you been and how did the Guzzi perform? I have a Yamaha S10 but the V85 is top of my list if I decide to swap.

A quick edit here, I’ve just seen your tour report :beerjug:

Back
Top Bottom