T.C. build quality.

Tommy Gunn

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
I have a late (2013) T.C. GSA which I have just washed and given her 6 monthly double polish.
Considering that she's 9 years old in a couple of days and the type of use she's had over that period (long trips all over Europe, Canada and U.S.A.) she's in remarkably good condition. Almost no rust, paintwork still looking good and all round pretty chipper.
I know I shouldn't be, given how much she cost, but I'm very pleased with the build quality. :thumby:

Agreed. For some reason once BMW started producing the LC models, build quality took a definite nose dive.

My 2010 is in tidy shape too, albeit only just on 20k miles.
The PO obviously cared for it well.
Like all my Bikes, I lather it in ACF50 and wash it once a year...

My 2012 (black frame) was rather tatty a couple of years back. Stripped and sent off to be powder coated, looks lovely now.

My new (2019) 1250 however, is off back to the dealers in 10 days for a new rear end and the left cylinder and crankcase due to rust. Caught it just in warranty too.

My 13 plate TC is still in good condition 50K ish miles
Gets a wash off , the pink muckoff , then drenched in GT 85 - seems to work well no corrosion :thumb2

Attachments

• FFBB7D24-2C68-4AE0-BB41-C106405A7543.jpg
    FFBB7D24-2C68-4AE0-BB41-C106405A7543.jpg
    236.9 KB · Views: 273
across all BMW bike's usually the original silver shaft housing and bevel look like new forever, and the later grey ones turns to dust - its just an indicator of the move from last for a few years - to lease it and bin it in 3 years philosophy

Built down to a price, not the quality motorcycles that they used to be. The build quality seemed drop off when the old air heads ceased production.

On my 2008/9 Hexhead I had to touch up my subframe paint under the seat mounting fittings where rust had started and also where my boots had rubbed off some paint. The rear brake pedal lever was rusty where the powder coat had split and flaked. The rest of the bike was still mint after 13 years of all-year riding (apart from grubby chromed exhaust headers.)

I hope my 2019 GSA I bought as it’s replacement fares just as well with regular washing and the odd bit of TLC as and when called for.

I've changed my mind, I think the Build Quality just might be questionable!
My FD Oil Seal (and possibly Bearing) has just failed at 20K.
Is this the norm for these Rufty Tufty, Go Anywhere, World Beating Machines, or am I just lucky? :nenau:mad:

I've changed my mind, I think the Build Quality just might be questionable!
My FD Oil Seal (and possibly Bearing) has just failed at 20K.
Is this the norm for these Rufty Tufty, Go Anywhere, World Beating Machines, or am I just lucky? :nenau:mad:

Mikeyboy is your man for FD repairs.

Back
Top Bottom