For the first time…..

Wapping

Reaction score
On a decent length jaunt (250 miles) in the car across France and into Belgium, using a mixture of motorway, N and D roads, I didn’t use my Garmin device at all. Instead I used my phone, running a bespoke MyRoutes’ route (created on my iPad) run through MyRoutes’ Navigation app. It ran perfectly.

I am not sure if I am amazed (I have never used my phone for navigation before) or just pleased that it worked. Either way, it has given me the confidence to do more with the phone and MyRoute in the future.

On a decent length jaunt (250 miles) in the car across France and into Belgium, using a mixture of motorway, N and D roads, I didn’t use my Garmin device at all. Instead I used my phone, running a bespoke MyRoutes’ route (created on my iPad) run through MyRoutes’ Navigation app. It ran perfectly.

I am not sure if I am amazed (I have never used my phone for navigation before) or just pleased that it worked. Either way, it has given me the confidence to do more with the phone and MyRoute in the future.

MyRoute works very well !
On our recent 11 day jaunt over the Alps and Vercors I used it the whole time following routes I had created like you, on my iPad .
I did send them to my XT but could have used my phone instead, as that was in a RAM mount and would mirror the XT if I selected the same route in the MyRoute Nav app.
I see they are merging the apps with the emergence of the Next app imminent .

Hope you had a nice chill out spa day when you arrived ? :)

Thanks.

The weather forecast for the weekend is not too encouraging.

Like you, I had the routes on my XT too, but I decided to only use my phone, just to see if it worked. It was perfect, including a significant and very fast recalculation when (due to a blocked road) I went off-route in the small streets of Rochefort.

Just as I do in BaseCamp, I took some care in creating and checking the original route, editing out any parts that I thought were just silly or unnecessary. For instance when the algorithm cut a corner in a town, using a back street, when it made more sense to drive a yard or two further to stay on the main road.

Thanks.

The weather forecast for the weekend is not too encouraging.

Like you, I had the routes on my XT too, but I decided to only use my phone, just to see if it worked. It was perfect, including a significant and very fast recalculation when (due to a blocked road) I went off-route in the small streets of Rochefort.

Just as I do in BaseCamp, I took some care in creating and checking the original route, editing out any parts that I thought were just silly or unnecessary. For instance when the algorithm cut a corner in a town, using a back street, when it made more sense to drive a yard or two further to stay on the main road.

Excellent.
It will be a godsend on the Wing where I can link my phone and use Apple Car Play, where the MyRoute app is compatible.

I've been doing this for a while via carplay. I found you still need to use plenty of shaping points as the phone app may decide to use a different route than the one you planned in myrouteapp, something I normally do for the XT but thought as it's all 1 platform they'd use the same algorithm. My other issue has been…..

==========

Edit

Fresh and separate thread started for the ‘other issue’.

Richard

For a fleeting moment i thought you were going to say you used a map! Silly me

Wet weather is part of the Spa experience! Enjoy it, what a great event to visit. Please post a few pics.

For a fleeting moment i thought you were going to say you used a map! Silly me

I assume by “you used a map” you mean a paper map, as opposed to the map shown on my phone or iPad’s screen? If so, I do have my paper maps with me too; Michelin if you are interested. I haven’t though needed to use them.

However, as my opening post and subsequent thread is about the (so far) good experience I have enjoyed using MyRoute’s Navigation app, any mention of paper maps would be all but irrelevant.

Back
Top Bottom