Diagnosis please…

Bubb

Dogsbody
UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
My R80st (g/s hybrid) was running great……. Until today.

after about 15 minutes normal running, she started to misfire, and this gradually got worse until she stopped running altogether. After a while she started again and got me the final mile or so to work.

After finishing work, she again fired up straight away, and ran fine for about 15 minutes again. Then the same symptoms… popping, and banging, until not running anymore.

Got her home and into the garage.

I’m thinking maybe the coils are on the way out…..

She does have electronic ignition, not old bean can….. so could it be that rather than the coil?

Thanks for all help received.

I had similar symptoms with an 1150GS and it turned out to be splits in a rubber pipe inside the tank linking the pump to the filter. I am not sufficiently well-acquainted with your model to know how the fuel delivery system compares but something to consider.

Hops

Thanks, but the r80 is old style, carbs, no fuel injection or fuel pump.

Bubb

Could be coils but is it running out of fuel? Fuel tank vent blocked? If you could open the tank cap when it was starting to die and see if it recovers?

Bin riding.

Not fuel starvation ….. fuel cap vent fine, and tank was full.

Definitely feels like an electrical issue rather than carbs. It was running fine before I went on holiday for two weeks. Seems like the old girl just feels neglected and is sulking !

Bin riding.

Not fuel starvation ….. fuel cap vent fine, and tank was full.

Definitely feels like an electrical issue rather than carbs. It was running fine before I went on holiday for two weeks. Seems like the old girl just feels neglected and is sulking !
I may well have a spare coil if you want to give it a try. Let me know what type you have fitted and I’ll have a rummage.

If you have the grey bodied coil I’d start there. If you have one of these I’d look at fuel

fd61486776a0490261e306a0e28bc169.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Scooter Paul.

Thanks for the offer. I have the coil type as shown in Nins picture. Might get time to check the wires etc to and from the coil to make sure it’s not that.
I’m sure it’s not a fuel problem.

If you ride nice and Easy and "gently" squeeze the throttle to speed up does it do the banging and farting?

If it does I would definitely look to the coil If its an Aftermarket Ignition system ?

If its a standard BM one in a Beancan ? Hall Effect sensor!

Mike boy

Ignition system is a Motorworks one… Siemens I think….. but fitted a few years ago

Dr Farkoff…… I replaced the original system when the Hall effect sensor failed.
Replaced with a Motorworks electronic system. (I think it’s a Siemens… but no markings on it that I can see)

Thanks for the interest.

Bubb

Ignition system is a Motorworks one… Siemens I think….. but fitted a few years ago

Replaced with a Motorworks electronic system. (I think it’s a Siemens… but no markings on it that I can see)

I wonder if it was the Red Centre kit they used to supply

IF you can ride gently and it "behaves" But Misbehaves as soon as you lean on the throttle I would suspect the Coil pack

They usually fail under load (as per 1150 and 1200 Twin Spark!)

Mike boy

Thanks for the interest.

Bubb
The Siemens kit is prone to faulty amplifier modules.
Replacement units are not available as yet.
Might be an idea to run the bike till it stops(breaks down)
Then swap the module for the old original one to see if it will restart with that fitted.
The ign won’t have any advance/retard with the oem module but it’s a quick test to see if the seimens unit is duff.
We are now fitting the wedge tail systems,I’ve probably removed 1/2 dozen faulty seimens kits and replaced with the wedge tail.

We are now fitting the wedge tail systems,I’ve probably removed 1/2 dozen faulty seimens kits and replaced with the wedge tail.

As an aside, just fitted the Wedgetail myself, can really recommend it for built in resilience (has two sensors) and really excellent build quality.

Probably the ignition system as you say…..but if it isn’t have you taken the fuel cock off in living memory. The gauze filter could be blocked due to a rusty tank bought on by long bought of non uses and e10 condensation. Any debris in the float bowls?

OnF

Fuel filters are okay. Fuel flows fine.
I’m of the opinion that mikeyboy has diagnosed it correctly ( from far away) and that it’s the Siemens ignition unit.
Going to try the newest update available, and fit a wedge tail unit. I’ve heard very good things about them, and if Mikey rates them, then that’s good enough for me.

I can’t do any work on the bike for a while, but will update once work has been done as to what the actual problem was.

Thanks all for the suggestions/help….. this place is great

Well I managed to get some time to sort this little problem.

The result is: mikeyboy was correct….. it was the Siemens electronic ignition that was getting hot and dying. Okay once cooled down.

So, wedgetail ignition fitted (a very very easy job, read the instructions, watched a YouTube video, and all done ….even the timing is simplified with this system…takes about 2 minutes to set timing). Bike now runs fine.

Back
Top Bottom