Tank bag advice

S8DOW

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Hi, I am presently on my second GS after a couple of RTs however due to the loss of litres with the change in luggage capacity, I am looking for a good tank bag.
At the moment the SW Motech Pro range look pretty good however I would like some opinions and advice please.
Cheers
Shaun :nenau

LoneRider do ‘in my eyes’ a fantastic tank bag, or if you don’t mind not having the regular tank bag look, a Kriega tank harness and either the US5 or US10 (bigger packs can be attached)

Personally I find the BMW GS LC bag pretty reliable. Mine is the smaller option - works a treat, waterproof still after 5 years touring use.

Personally I find the BMW GS LC bag pretty reliable. Mine is the smaller option - works a treat, waterproof still after 5 years touring use.
I use the larger version. Eight and a half years and sixty five thousand miles, still going strong and completely waterproof.
Yes, it's looking a bit second hand, but it lives on the bike as a tool chest.
The only negative is the yellowing of the plastic on the map pocket which is not waterproof, not a problem as I haven't used it in a long time.

What size capacity do you need, and what 'stuff' do you need to carry on a regular basis? I tried one and didn't get along with it. I found it impeded my riding position (i'm not the tallest of Chaps at 5' 9") and getting on/off the Bike.

I use a Handle bar bag which is enough for a Bottle of Water, disc lock, charging cables & visor wipes. For anything more i have a 42 litre top box, or a 15 Litre rucksack if for small/light things.

I use an old SW Motec “City” tankbag on my GSA. It’s not the biggest or deepest but it carries my odds and sods that I need close to hand when travelling or commuting and it doesn’t get in the way. It’s also quick and easy to detach and reattach when fuelling.

Thanks very much for your responses so far. There’s plenty to research. I tour so it’s mostly tools, puncture kit, chargers etc.
cheers
Shaun

I have used BMW branded tank bags since I got my 1150gs in 2003 ,then one on my 2011 R1200GSA tc BUT the GSA tank bag I bought in 2014 for my then new GSA LC and has been on 3 bikes has now decided that it doesn't like the very soft paint on the tank of 2022 model R1250GSA Triple Back so it has been retired and replaced with a Givi Tanklock bag which is larger but gets nowhere near the painted surfaces (also it was cheaper even after factoring in the price of the tank lock ring )

I have the sw motech evo city bag, and the mosko moto nomax bag. Prefer the dividers and plethora of pockets in the Nomax, and the 2L water bladder also.

I have both the small and large BMW bags which I carry camera equip and passport etc when on a tour. All up, the bag probably weighs 4kg and I wouldn't want that weight being held in place with a tank ring. Particularly as my '63 plate GS (purchased used from Lind) had a distorted filler neck, that leaked petrol before it was replaced under warranty.

I had no evidence that it was caused by a tank bag, but can't think of another reason for it to become distorted.

Once the retaining straps have been fitted, it takes just a few seconds to fit or remove.

Can't say I've noted any damage to the paintwork either.

I tour so it’s mostly tools, puncture kit, chargers etc.

For my tools, stop 'n go puncture kit, airman mini compressor etc I have a toolbox mounted inside the LH pannier frame. Its one of those Chinese knock-off copies of the Touratech items but does the job perfectly and saves weight and volume in the tank bag. They are not that expensive to buy.

The other plus is it is always on the bike wherever you ride, unlike a removable tank bag that might be removed when not touring.

The tankbag is great for the small light essentials like wallet, keys, change, phone, chargers, passport, spare batteries etc

For my tools, stop 'n go puncture kit, airman mini compressor etc I have a toolbox mounted inside the LH pannier frame. Its one of those Chinese knock-off copies of the Touratech items but does the job perfectly and saves weight and volume in the tank bag. They are not that expensive to buy.

The other plus is it is always on the bike wherever you ride, unlike a removable tank bag that might be removed when not touring.

The tankbag is great for the small light essentials like wallet, keys, change, phone, chargers, passport, spare batteries etc

Hi, I know the tool pack you’re talking about and love the idea as a friend has one fitted. Unfortunately I have Vario panniers so can’t have them fitted.
Shaun

Back
Top Bottom