Tell me all about it……

Kritou

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
I’m just using the “free” membership at the moment but before upgrading to Silver I had a few questions - but the contact email address for plebs does not appear to work with my mail server - perhaps one of you gentlemen can help?

1. Am I right in thinking that MRA can be run in it’s entirety on an iPhone/iPad (iPhone 6S Plus iPsd Air 4G) combination as I do not have a Mac, PC or standalone SatNav?

2. Using the above devices is there any limit (apart from memory) on how much OSM mapping can be downloaded?

3. Am I correct in thinking that the routing engine is web based, and if so, is it third party and whose?

4. Is it the case that an internet connection is only required for route creation and modification?

5. What are the benefits of Gold over Silver membership?

Thanks in advance

1. Yes, though to navigate, I guess you’ll need to use your iPhone.

2. I am not sure that I understand the question. You cannot load third party maps into MyRoute. You can though download the MyRoute map into the Navigation app on your iPhone. For example, I have the whole of MyRoute’s maps Europe installed on my iPhone.

3. It is web based. I have no idea. Is it important to know?

4. If you download and install the maps into the Navigation app on your phone, the app will function perfectly well (ie. you can create a route and run it) off line or with no internet connection. However, you do need an internet connection in order to bring a route you have created in MyRoute’s ‘Route lab’ across into the Navigation app on your phone.

See also: https://www.ukgser.com/forums/showthread.php/588574-Struggling-to-get-it-to-work-in-Europe

5. I have gold membership. I have no idea what the advantages over silver are, or indeed that MyRoute offered a silver level. I guess the MyRoute homepage explains the advantages?

Thanks for the responses Wapping

In spite of the overview you had previously posted, perusing the website and watching the You Tube webinar last night I still have to get my head fully round their various products. However, as I understand it, there should be just one app sometime next year that encompasses the route planning and navigation apps

When you say you have the MRA Europe maps on your iPhone do you mean the OSM ones?

Yes, the particular routing engine is important. You may recall that Pocket Earth used Mapquest for many years but after a PE/MQ squabble they refused to recognise any new (European?) OSM data when creating routes - which made PE almost unusable in some regions for route planning. PE is now using a much better and faster third party engine

Anyway, on last night’s webinar it was confirmed (as you had suggested) that not only was the routing coming in house but on device! I find this quite amazing as to my knowledge no navigation app has been able to build a routing engine to run independent of the web on a smartphone/tablet - though I could be wrong

It seems to me that the Gold membership gives the option to run Google, Here and Garmin mapping on your phone so I will stick with Silver if I do upgrade from the Free membership as I don’t have a standalone SatNav

Hello again.

As I see it, there are currently three separate MyRoute products:

1. MyRoute’s cloud based Route Lab, which is generally used on a PC or decent sized tablet or phone for creating routes and holding them in a library. It is quite powerful software and offers some nice touches, forcexampke being able to use Google’s street view. It cannot though be used for navigation. It can though create GPX files to be sent to say, a phone, a GPS device, Google maps or indeed just about anything that can deal with a GPX file. It can also display a routes on a variety of maps, for example the popular Michelin map. This is available as a free and as a paid for gold version. Gold turns on the very nice additions.

2. MyRoute’s separate Navigation app, which is - as its name suggests - used on phones for navigation. You can also create and amend routes in it. This is a paid subscription app.

3. The MyRoute app, which is free. It is a sort of halfway house between Route Lab and Navigation. I have never found much use for it.

As I understand it, in 2023 MyRoute will combine RouteLab and Navigation into one single entity. Existing gold level users of Navigation will, I think, get this for free. New users will pay.

When you say you have the MRA Europe maps on your iPhone do you mean the OSM ones?

Yes

It seems to me that the Gold membership gives the option to run Google, Here and Garmin mapping on your phone so I will stick with Silver if I do upgrade from the Free membership as I don’t have a standalone SatNav

Gold has several very useful additional tools over the free version. You do not need a GPS device to benefit from them. I have a Garmin gps device and the gold version but, for my last trip to Spa and back, I only used my phone for navigation, using the MyRoute’s Navigation app, running routes that I had created originally in Route Lab. My gps device sat in my car’s glovebox, unused.

I had though used several of Route Lab’s gold functions when creating the route’s originally. For example, using the street view function to look at a cafe I wanted to stop at and, more importantly, looking at a couple of unnamed roads, just to make sure they were not cart tracks. I also used it to superimpose one route on top of another, just to see which one I preferred.

Back
Top Bottom