Where does the gearbox vent to on a Paralever Airhead?

Clifton

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Trying to determine why gear oil in in my paralever housing.

There's a bolt that holds the earth strap to the gearbox and holds the speedo drive in place. That has a little hole going through the centre of it.

Someone more knowledgeable than me may be able to help, but it could be that your output seal is failing?

Could be worth checking the oil level of the gearbox. When full, it should be just before it starts dripping out of the filler hole on the side of the gearbox.

Trying to determine why gear oil in in my paralever housing.
Have you looked inside the rubber bellows between the gearbox and the paralever housing? If there's oil in there, it can only be from the box. The angle of the paralever would preclude anything else.

No oil at all around the speedometer cable, a little oil in the boot next to the gearbox but he lower boot to the final drive was full of oil. I'd say Nin and Paul are right, unfortunately. Is replacing it difficult? Besides the new seal itself are there any other new parts to have on hand?

To replace the gearbox output seal you will need the correct flange removal tool.
Don’t be tempted to try and lever or press it off against the alloy casing.
The seals currently available seem to be of poor quality,I’ve reverted to using earlier mono/twin shock ones.
Also be aware,on a para,a small amount of sealant should be used at 12oclock on the seal/housing as there is a small notch out of the casing to allow the swing arm to vent on earlier mono/twin shock bikes.
The bevel input pinion seal also requires a special tool to undo the “castle “ nut into which the seal fits.
It’s a good idea to also replace the compression ring which the seal lip runs on as these wear and/or can corrode.
Hope this helps but without the correct tools you are going to struggle.

Thank you Mike. Let me ask this, can I get to where I can see the seal (not actually replace it) w/o the flange removal tool? Just wondering if the mechanic who had the gearbox out a few years ago may have not sealed the notch? Could a novice like me do that? If it's not that I better find someone who knows what they're doing.

It appears the seal needs to be removed to seal the notch so I'll look for a mechanic.

Back
Top Bottom