puncture repair

grantmac

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
last week while in France i got a nail in my back tyre. It was fixed using a plug. Question - should i renew the tyre or will the plug do fine?

Well sir, the correct answer , is get it professionally fixed , or purchase a new tyre. These repair kits are only described as ‘temporary repairs’.
On the other hand , there are many , like myself who have continued until the tyre is worn out. At your risk sir .

Well sir, the correct answer , is get it professionally fixed , or purchase a new tyre. These repair kits are only described as ‘temporary repairs’.
On the other hand , there are many , like myself who have continued until the tyre is worn out. At your risk sir .

The perfect answer.

:thumby:

And again.....:thumb

The typical emergency plug kit like Stop 'n Go uses a small mushroom with a head diameter about 1cm or so and is held in place by compression of the tyre and air pressure.

If you have the tyre professionally plugged at a tyre shop, they do it from the inside with a big mushroom head (more like a flat disk really) of about 4cm diameter which is also properly glued in place.

I have done thousands of miles on an emergency plug with no problem, but I have always had the tyre professionally fixed afterwards.

Chances are the temporary will last but I always get mine professionally repaired / tyre changed.

Life roulette whilst riding at 70 mph to save a few quid is not my thing.

I've used stop and go plugs on many occasions, and they have been fine for the life of the tyre. If your the type of guy that checks his pressures before every ride, then you will know if its not holding air.
Of coarse any tyre thats had a nail could have damaged cords which could fail, but that would apply if you had the tyre plugged by a pro. The glue that holds his plug in place will not add any strength to the carcass, so if the tyre is going to let go it will regardless of how you have it repaired. The fact that the pro's will repair a tyre tells you that the chance of it exploding on you are very very slim, so in my mind the only difference is whether the temporary plug holds air or not.
Your other option is scrap it and fit a new tyre. If its got loads of tread left i'll gladly fit it to mine and use it up.

Stu

I've left a few Stop 'n Go plugs in for the life of the tyre with no issues.

Did the same to the N/S rear tyre on my Audi TT 3.2 when I got a nail in it, again no issues and that's a 250BHP car.

I've done both. My latest road side repair wouldn't stop leaking so I got it done professionally at Watling Tyres. I've ridden sets of tyres bald with plugs in before. No issues.

Another Stop & Go repair today and success again . So easy . There’s a large ‘ring’ around the puncture site and the hole was a reasonable size, with air gushing out . Heaven knows what caused the puncture;
2e3422f38329488cf83f3ac46949b316.jpg

Back
Top Bottom