Check Point Charlie?

DaddyPaddy

Black Ones R Fastest
UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Hi, looking to visit the Harz area again next year and would appreciate some advice re visiting CPC / Berlin.
Idea is to either overnight in the Berlin area to see a few of the sights or a longish day there and back from Harz!!

Is it worth the trip in the first place and if so anyone have any advice / recommendations / accommodation etc. for said trip TIA!!:thumby:

Berlin is a fantastic city though Checkpoint Charlie is to be avoided - horrible, tatty place where the only upshot is a Mcdonalds.
Get booked onto a walking tour of Berlin or even hire a Trabant.

It's about 3 hours by bike or train from Goslar to Berlin. I would not consider a day trip.

I did a midweek break, Easyjet flight, staying 3 nights and still did not see everything. You could have a day and half to explore if you stay 2 nights. Check into your hotel after lunch, half day and evening exploring. Full day the following day. Public transport is excellent, figure it out before arriving and get a multi-journey pass that works across underground and surface routes. There are mapping apps for a phone.

What Monsieur said, avoid Checkpoint Charlie, it really is tatty. The bus tour is very good as well and goes right out to the 1936 Olympic stadium

Berlin is a fantastic city though Checkpoint Charlie is to be avoided - horrible, tatty place where the only upshot is a Mcdonalds.
Get booked onto a walking tour of Berlin or even hire a Trabant.

Except for the museum which is very interesting and thought provoking

It’s surprising how inventive and determined people can be when they are trying to reach freedom

A guided Segway tour is pretty good too. Based at the Alexanderplatz under the transmitter mast.

I went through Checkpoint Charlie on foot in September 1984, having ridden there by motorbike from Liverpool. It was well worth the effort. I went again about four years ago. Checkpoint Charlie was now just a tourist stop. But as leadfarmer says above, the museum just alongside was well worth the visit. Fascinating. As was the DDR Museum. Did most of it on foot.

Checkpoint Charlie museum is worth visiting as is the surviving part of the wall (if in Berlin the public museums are closed on a Monday - private ones are open though) .

Loads of places of stay that are within 5 or 10 minutes U Bahn ride from the centre and you can buy cheap day tickets

Back
Top Bottom