Bonneville suspension mods.

AdrianS

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Has anyone modified the standard Triumph suspension on the liquid cooled Triumph twins?
Just wondering about fitting progressive front springs first and then possible rear suspension units. TEC bits are cheapish but mixed reports regarding quality.
Any experience?

Yes, I've a 2017 T120, I replaced the rear shocks with IKON items. Fitted progressive rate front springs, can't remember what make, either IKON or Hagon. These mods made a good improvement, particularly the rear end.
Stu Fillingham does a video on replacing the Bonneville front springs.

Yep, Hagons at the back and Wilbers up front after 10K on original components.

Wilbers slightly harsh compared to OEM and quite a bit of fiddling to get the Hagons right, but a big improvement on previously.

Attachments

• IMG_0244.jpeg
    IMG_0244.jpeg
    143.8 KB · Views: 217
My bike is a 2020 Speed Twin.
Was thinking of progressive front springs as a lot of the roads where I live are shite and was hoping to smooth out the ride.
Improvements are very subjective and I’ve seen reports of fantastic improvements when someone has spent a fortune probably because they need to justify the money spent! Always good to get more rational opinions!

I’ve read good things about YSS shocks. My experience of Hagon was they’re good value and look nicely made, after sales service was good when the first unit I fitted failed after only a few miles. It’s hard to say what improvement they might offer as I was replacing a well worn shock. I did fit a Hyperpro shock to my Tracer 900 and that was a big improvement and good value. I can’t see what the difference would be between Ohlins (expensive) and Hagon (cheap) fork springs.

I put hagon shocks on my 2011 bonneville, night and day against the standard ones.
Have since replaced them with bitubo items, which are better again.
I put cartridge emulators in the forks(can’t remember the brand), made a massive difference, less dive under braking, more stable at speed.

Hi, I have an older air cooled Bonnie, but I guess the suspension is similar. It had Ohlins rear shocks when I bought it and progressive front fork springs too. I thought the ride was lumpy and unsettled so too it to MCT, the suspension Guru:bow. He whipped off the rear shocks and re-set something internally and adjusted the 'sag' on the bike, he also said they need servicing and he can make adjustments to them then to make them more compliant. re the front forks, he was very disparaging about progressive springs and thought they were too soft and better oil was also required. So moral of the tale, maybe go to to get it assessed before spending loads of dosh which may or may not help! Cheers:beerjug:John B

Hi, I have an older air cooled Bonnie, but I guess the suspension is similar. It had Ohlins rear shocks when I bought it and progressive front fork springs too. I thought the ride was lumpy and unsettled so too it to MCT, the suspension Guru:bow. He whipped off the rear shocks and re-set something internally and adjusted the 'sag' on the bike, he also said they need servicing and he can make adjustments to them then to make them more compliant. re the front forks, he was very disparaging about progressive springs and thought they were too soft and better oil was also required. So moral of the tale, maybe go to to get it assessed before spending loads of dosh which may or may not help! Cheers:beerjug:John B
That’s probably the best advice.
I’m no racer but the roads where I live are dreadful and poorly surfaced which makes the bike very bouncy.

Regarding the arguments for and against progressive fork springs vs linear rate, I read that where road conditions are consistent then linear are best as they work better with a damper that inherently has linear characteristics. However, in the real world where we sometimes ride on great tarmac, in Spain for example, but usually on very variable quality stuff, like in the UK, progressive springs work better for most folk most of of the time. I’m sure there are other opinions!

Regarding the arguments for and against progressive fork springs vs linear rate, I read that where road conditions are consistent then linear are best as they work better with a damper that inherently has linear characteristics. However, in the real world where we sometimes ride on great tarmac, in Spain for example, but usually on very variable quality stuff, like in the UK, progressive springs work better for most folk most of of the time. I’m sure there are other opinions!

I agree, the front progressives work well for me.

I did mine did the full TEC front and fitted Ikon rear shocks must admit it did really make a good improvement over stock much more compliant in corners and so much less harsh over bumps, I would not buy the TEC Reae shocks as there are some really bad reports on them !!
Rob

Back
Top Bottom