Oloron Ste Marie, Pyrénées-Atlantiques - Le Central Hotel (was de France)

wessie

Reaction score
I was asked to provide an update on this hotel, which has changed names https://goo.gl/maps/mDB77bUsAjBpRH178 - it still showed as Hotel de France on streetview when I was there but I did see the google car in the area and the new Le Central branding is now showing from the one side https://goo.gl/maps/KAnKZU1dGZt8gDMh8

Renovations are still underway and it will be quite big once the rooms in the annexe and outbuildings are finished. They were a friendly bunch and it was a popular bar with locals. A decent range of beers including a Weissbier on draught!

They have me a family suite which had 2 bedrooms. Bunks in one room, double in the other. Separate toilet and shower which is good for a family. The room was of an okay standard based on where they are aiming in the market. Breakfast was pretty good but charged extra.

Parking is a surface level car park.

No food on the evening I was there but not a problem as a decent Italian next door or a short walk into the town. Not a lot open on a Monday evening so I went back to the Central bar for a few beers then the Italian and had a very nice pizza. Oloron has the look of a place that was once quite swish with a park and bandstand. All a bit run down now. It's a great place to stay if you want to head east over D918 via Col Marie Blanque and then Aubisque, Tourmalet etc. I ended up in Vielha after 220 miles of passes. You are also near the Iraty National Park and I did a loop there before arriving in Oloron. The D18 and D19 from Larrau are great to St Jean, then loop back to Oloron over the D918 Col d'Osquish.

I've stayed in Oloron Saint Marie on 2 occasions both times at the same hotel the Astrolabe, it's quirky and comfortable and reasonably priced from memory with rooms themed to countries of the world, on one occasion we gatecrashed a party at a restaurant where a celebrated chef was cooking, they prepared a table and served us a great 3 course meal :okay
It's a pleasant enough town and is within good striking distance of the rather good Col de la Pierre Saint Martin :thumby:

Back
Top Bottom