din socket under the seat

ilkleymoron

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
I do not know anything about vehicle electrics.

I do not understand what canbus does and this is my first ever BMW.

I have undertaken a search but it did not answer the question.

I take it the socket under the seat is only good for plugging the optimate in to charge the battery and that at 5a, it is no good buying a lead to run heated clothing?

And that the fuse for that socket cannot be uprated to say 15a or 20a to run heated clothing because it will mess everything up?

The best way to run heated clothing is by a direct feed from the battery or by a hex device or PDM 60?

thanks
i moron

I run mine straight off the battery with an inline fuse, plain and simple.

I run my heated vest off it with no problems. Off the top of my head, it only draws around 2 amps on full power and the socket is rated to 5 amps, so plenty to spare before it trips out.
If you want to charge the bikes battery through it, you will need a can bus comparable charger.

As said, no problem to run a heated vest or gloves (but why??) but if you want to run a small compressor or two sets of heated clothing then direct connection with a fuse or via an extra socket directly wired with fuse.
Or, if you want to be flash and do other things then you can use a hex device or extra fuse box.

I take it the socket under the seat is only good for plugging the optimate in to charge the battery and that at 5a, it is no good buying a lead to run heated clothing?

It will trip out at over 5 Amps, so providing the heated clothing you use doesn't exceed this you'll be OK. As others have said, some heated clothing will be OK, but some will draw more current than the socket can cope with. For example I have an old Widder heated jacket, this has sleeves that can be attached via two press studs on each shoulder. If I have both sleeves attached it trips the socket, if I detach one sleeve it works fine. You cannot uprate the current provided by the Can Bus to this socket.

Just try it, if it doesn't work then connect it to the battery via a suitable fuse (7.5A should be more than enough).

On a previous bike I've used a PDM60 to provide power to an additional socket for running heated clothing or an air compressor, amongst other things, but it is an expensive way of doing it.

There are no fuses for the accessory socket, it trips out above 5A draw through the software setting on the bike. Been this way since the Hexheads, it was crap then and its still crap now.

My 2019 GSA had no accessory socket underseat and the previous owner had swapped the cockpit DIN socket for a twin USB and lost the original socket. I bought a small flip-covered DIN socket online for £8, made a discrete under seat frame triangular bracket for the RH side (similar to the expensive ones sold online) from stainless steel, shotblasted then painted black and wired it with a 10A inline fuse to the jump start terminal under the battery panel. I can now run my airman pump (or heated clothing) without risk of tripping anything out and being stuck with a puncture at the roadside.

thanks

on my tiger i just had the heat clothing lead straight to the battery and the optimate cable

i bike all year so its the full monty, jumper, trousers glove and socks - the draw is high so i will just keep it simple and go direct

i have a pdm on my kawasaki - which is simple to wire up but i didn't fancy breaking into wires on an electical system i don't really know

Back
Top Bottom