Different versions of the nav6

zx9landie

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Hi all,
I'm looking to buy a nav 6.
I've been offered a 2020 nav 6+ another nav 6 that's been described as the latest 'for the ride' version.
Can anyone tell me the difference please ?
They are the same price 2nd hand.
Thanks in advance

the latest version is also described as 'revised'. It was meant to address known issues with Nav6 like 'ghosting' which render the unit useless. advrider.com has a long thread detailing the many 'original' Nav6 units that have suffered ghosting, and been returned to Garmin. The replacement unit is 'refurbished'.
The newer 'revised' units are also suffering issues. I returned mine to place of purchase (dealer) as it suffered ghosting after 8months. I insisted on, and received, a full refund.
I have installed the Garmin Zumo XT.
I wouldn't recommend buying a Nav6. The Zumo XT is a superior unit.
Another alternative is using a phone with the quadlock antivibration mount.

Can anyone tell me the difference please ?

Nothing, they'll both fail...

Well, that's what happened to me.

There's loads of info out there on these navs suffering screen issues.

4 originals and 2 Make Life a Ride versions, now on a Zumo XT. The 2 later ones were brand new BMW boxed, the 3 earlier replacements were white boxed refurbs.

Here's a snip of an email trail between Garmin and me - 2 in December alone...

Save your money and buy a Zumo, better screen, wi fi updates and more internal memory too.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2022-10-04 073734.png
    Screenshot 2022-10-04 073734.png
    111.9 KB · Views: 170
there are also plenty units that are fine.

My current MLAR version is faultless.

There are also plenty that are not, but many do not post on forums. I have had two fail, including a new "revised version" and replaced one on one of our fleet bikes. Have gone XT now. If you really want a Nav, go for the Nav V, they seem to be pretty faultless

As are my friends Nav6 units (mostly) after a screen cleaning.

My BMW parts dealer says its not "if" they fail, its "when" and advised me to go Zumo XT instead.

I don't regret following his advice, not least for the big difference in price and better features. YMMV.

My ‘Make life a ride’ latest version Navigator VI was fine….. until it went wrong. I told BMW I wasn’t interested in a replacement, despite the device being well within its warranty period. BMW tried their best to make me have a replacement but, with patience, I won out in the end, receiving a full refund.

How can you tell what version nav6 you have? Mine was on the bike when I bought it and just says BMW Motorrad Navigator v1 on the screen, and the label in the battery area.

Al.

Attachments

• ABB488C2-DE9A-4D82-8723-FE4244205278.jpg
    ABB488C2-DE9A-4D82-8723-FE4244205278.jpg
    243.4 KB · Views: 134
When it boots up, if it shows the Lifes a Ride logo, then it is the latest one, if not, its the original one

zx9landie, check your messages you should have two from me in your Inbox.

Back
Top Bottom