K1100LT Blinking red light needs sorting after de-ABS

Deleted account 231211001

Reaction score
Over the last few weeks I removed everything from the old girl.....sensors, hoses, the lot. Brakes are fab now with refreshed calipers, new pads and a set of custom made braided lines and a full system bleed with new fluid.
BUT.

Apart from taking the whole fairing off and removing the complete instrument cluster to pop one smegging bulb out to stop the red warning triangle from driving me to distractions, is there a "cut here" type short cut that I can do that will take minutes rather than a couple of hours?

Cheers

Mungrel

Is it an ABS version ?? If so you should have 2 Red flashing bulbs

Non ABS There as a bulb monitor fitted to these bikes, It should go out once both brake levers are activated

Also I recall something about the tail lamp was a higher wattage (Maybe)

You can get the instrument cluster out fairly easily with the inner pockets and the cover panels off

Is it an ABS version ?? If so you should have 2 Red flashing bulbs

Non ABS There as a bulb monitor fitted to these bikes, It should go out once both brake levers are activated

Also I recall something about the tail lamp was a higher wattage (Maybe)

You can get the instrument cluster out fairly easily with the inner pockets and the cover panels off

It's a 1992 Mark one with the separate ABS pumps. All removed and binned.
I've just put a later model instrument cluster on the bike after the original rev counter stuck at 3k rpm in the hot weather. But the original did have the two lights, one blinked and one stayed on: the later ( 1996 I think)just has the one red lamp with the triangle in it,

No way on God's green earth can I get the instruments off without taking the whole fairing off......and believe me i tried for hours. There are four socket screws buried deep in the back of the cluster that can only be accessed with the fairing off. I've tried with the screen and motor assembly off but with my big paws and short 5mm allen keys it's easier to disassemble the front of the
bike.

lift up the back of the tank and get into the relay box and pull the blue one IF you have not already done so ?

has it still got the Electronics box in the tail piece ??

If so Unplug and seal up the plug

That should cure it

lift up the back of the tank and get into the relay box and pull the blue one IF you have not already done so ?

has it still got the Electronics box in the tail piece ??

If so Unplug and seal up the plug

That should cure it

Both blue relays removed as part of the de-ABS work already. I'm wondering if I'vemissed something,

There's no electronics box int the tailpiece?? Just the space where the tools and the odd spider skellington live :) But I'll have another look in daylight

With ABS 1 there was a control box in the K100 versions

I never worked on a K1100 with ABS 1 that I can recall I am pretty sure would have the same ABS 1 control module Edit it Does (LINKY)

Maybe down by the battery in the K1100??

https://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/sh...89V2-BMW-K_1100_LT_0526,_0536_&diagId=34_0650

Yep, all removed and in the parts bin :) Still got the blinking red light though. What else would cause the warning lamp to flash if not ABS? Any ideas? The fuel light is yellow and goes out fine when there's a refuel...All lights are working and theres no issues with the side stand switch. I'm thinking remove the damned fairing and be done with it by removing that pesky bulb after all :-(

I had a K75 with ABS1 which I removed. The ABS ECU, the relays and the modulators were all taken off, no bulbs needed to be removed. Have you definitely taken the ECU out?

I had a K75 with ABS1 which I removed. The ABS ECU, the relays and the modulators were all taken off, no bulbs needed to be removed. Have you definitely taken the ECU out?

After doubting myself I thought I'd better check. Yep, the ECU unit is most definitely out. Theres a vertical gap behind the battery which you may just be able to make out behind the silver Motronic unit that sits on top of the battery. The big bog-off multi connector that used to clip into the ECU is now wedged into the spare space. I took the pic with the ignition on and you can see the red triangle warning light by the green neutral light.

So: if the ECU is missing and the wiring is all disconnected......is there a ghost in the machine having a laugh at my expense? Or is there a ctrl-alt-del type reset function somewhere I might not know about? ( Or is it plan A : Remove the whole fairing to take the binnacle off and pop the bulb out? ...I alreay put some insuting tape over the red light but it still bleeds out into the high beam and neutral lamp spaces and gets on my chest hairs)

Attachments

• K1100LT.jpg
    K1100LT.jpg
    56.3 KB · Views: 98
Sussed it

There was crud on the bulbs in the tail light!

Yes, something as simple as replacing the stop light and the tail light with nice new ones, then cleaning everything up and treating with ACF 50 and presto! No more red traingle warning light on the BMU!

Except now the old bint has started playing up again with just the offside indicators :mad:

Oh, the joys of running a 30 year old bike

Back
Top Bottom