Heated clothing. Any recommendations?

I have mixed n'matched Gerbing, Warm & Safe and BMW clothing items and controllers without anything igniting.

Just out of intrest, does the BMW kit have the same size power connector on the fly lead as the Gerbing? I know it is different to Keis.
My BMW vest came with a din plug which goes in to the bikes accessory socket and I want to hard wire it via a fly lead to the battery.

Just out of intrest, does the BMW kit have the same size power connector on the fly lead as the Gerbing? I know it is different to Keis.
My BMW vest came with a din plug which goes in to the bikes accessory socket and I want to hard wire it via a fly lead to the battery.

Either chop it off, and crimp two ring connectors ,

Or make a short female Din flylead and wire to battery

Just out of intrest, does the BMW kit have the same size power connector on the fly lead as the Gerbing?

I have the BMW vest, which came with the DIN plug connector. As implied by my post, the coaxial connectors are the same size on BMW, Gerbing and Warm n'Safe. So you can connect to power any way you like - DIN, SAE, whatever. As you say, Keis is different.

Keis for me have a jacket for winter, waistcoat for spring autumn and also their heated trousers for longer winter trips - cannot fault the gear

I have the BMW vest, which came with the DIN plug connector. As implied by my post, the coaxial connectors are the same size on BMW, Gerbing and Warm n'Safe. So you can connect to power any way you like - DIN, SAE, whatever. As you say, Keis is different.

Perfect, fly lead to order tonight :beerjug:

Just ordered the WarmNsafe stuff,

Lets see if it lives up to it's reputation

You can, I necessary, very easily buy short conversion leads. I use one that converts an Optimate flying lead (terminating in an SAE connection) to a DC barrel connection, as used on my RapidFire electric liner.

Another tip for those with a Hex ezcan or Denali Cansmart fitted to their bike, if you use one of their circuits to run your heated gear you can then control it with your heated grips, you can programme what % of power goes to the heated gear with the heated grip settings. On the GS there are only 2 settings so I've set mine to 30% and 60%, saves having to pull over and set the temp according to the conditions. Other bikes with more heated grip levels can benefit from more heat levels for the heated gear, up to 5 levels.

Another tip for those with a Hex ezcan or Denali Cansmart fitted to their bike, if you use one of their circuits to run your heated gear you can then control it with your heated grips, you can programme what % of power goes to the heated gear with the heated grip settings. On the GS there are only 2 settings so I've set mine to 30% and 60%, saves having to pull over and set the temp according to the conditions. Other bikes with more heated grip levels can benefit from more heat levels for the heated gear, up to 5 levels.

Think I looked at this when I fitted my Garbing power direct to the battery. The issue I had was, by using the cansmart you are linking the heat level to be controlled via the heated grips control. But I couldn't get my head around how this will work if you have a dual heat controller, so you connect the controller to both a heated jacket and gloves power, which all runs from the wiring in the jacket. Gloves have their own heat controllers on the wrist so must have a full power from the dual controller. So I will have a play to see if adjusting the heated grips supply impacts the power to the gloves, because I would want different settings for the jacket and gloves. Looks to me that this will only work if you have one item connected to the supply or everything connected is the same heat. But need to do some testing :) Unless someone has this setup already.

Looks to me that this will only work if you have one item connected to the supply or everything connected is the same heat.

I'm just using a jacket, if you connect heated gloves as well then that would negate the need to use the heated grips that control the heat of the jacket.

I'm just using a jacket, if you connect heated gloves as well then that would negate the need to use the heated grips that control the heat of the jacket.

That isn't my query. The lead when it comes from the battery is 12v, the dual controller you need to connect to a jacket and gloves to the jacket harness has a controller for the jacket and a straight through for the gloves connection as the controller is on the gloves cuff. So ignoring if the grips would be on, if the cansmart is reducing the amp to the lead, in my thinking, it would not allow enough amps through to run the gloves at a different level to the jacket (although the gloves draw less). At some point I'll connect a spare lead I have to the cansmart and see what happens :) Although I have a garbing ir controller which controls the jacket remotely anyway, so can't see a lot of advantage with running from the cansmart, and as you have said, I don't use the grips with the gloves anyway so a theoretical discussion :)

Back to the original post I've got the base layer from these - https://vulcansportswear.com very good and as a base layer your core and blood system gets heated then radiates through your body.

Seeing the original thread was from the 10th of Oct and the last post before we started our discussion about running from a cansmart was the 16th Oct. The thread was pretty much dead!!!

Back
Top Bottom