Disgusting treatment of bikers on the Brittany Ferries ferry

Status
Not open for further replies.

harley-metisse

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Hi all, I have been on European trips for 25+ years and nearly all of them have been using Brittany Ferries - and every trip prior to Covid, that is to say 2020, has been excellent.
BUT, and there is a big but here, this summer I think us "bikers" have simply been mistreated and taken for mugs !!
We went down to Spain, and back from Santander, last month and we were stuck down on deck, in the bowels of the ship. As was usual, we were all told to go down to our deck when we docked, but we were then kept there for nearly 90 minutes, in the stifling heat with no offer of bottles of water in all our heavy protective clothing.
Terrible treatment, but at least we thought when we eventually got off the ship - great, but no, we then had a huge queue for the two passport check huts.......
On the way back, it was even worse, we were still put down on deck 2 but placed near a pair of huge fan motors, and yes, they started them up and we had to stay near our bikes for 25 minutes with those roaring away. Last off again and long queues at the passport check booths.
And what is it with making motorcycles ride on and turn around etc, then turn around again when docked to get off, car and lorry drivers don't have to do that.
On reflection, it isn't as if we travel for free, 4 motorcycles take up the deck space of just one car and I bet that car didn't have to pay the collective total of £1650 that us 4 solo riders had to pay.
No, they certainly did not !!
I am not one to complain, in fact like most people, I shy away from doing anything like that, but this trip I felt like, as a motorcyclist, I simply wasn't wanted on their ferry, so I emailed them on my return and guess what, the automatic email reply I received said I will need to wait 35 days for a reply ??
If it wasn't for the fact that I happen to live in Cornwall, I would use the Channel tunnel every time.
Rant over.
Anyone else pi**ed of with Brittany Ferries ?

======

Cut from a thread about the time of departure of a ferry from a Spanish port.

Last edited by a moderator:
Last time I sailed to Santander from Portsmouth we chose to ride home through France to the tunnel instead of returning by ferry.

The previous years return journey by sea from Northern Spain was a drag and then we got held up in Portsmouth for hours trying to disembark and get through customs, last on/off the ferry being motorcyclists. Thankfully we were all pretty local to Portsmouth so no lengthy onward journeys but we won't be rushing back to use the ferry any time soon when there is a tunnel.

This is my post to Mark H Trip report from last week.

We got back ok albeit getting through customs at around 17;50 ish after the delay to the ferry in the pissing down rain. Had a word with the guy who was directing the traffic from the boat to the border control as to why they let the cars, vans and motorhomes through first when it is torrential rain and guy's on the bikes are getting soaked whilst sitting in the que with no shelter? (Gripe over)

TA Steve

We went down to Spain, and back from Santander, last month and we were stuck down on deck, in the bowels of the ship. As was usual, we were all told to go down to our deck when we docked, but we were then kept there for nearly 90 minutes, in the stifling heat with no offer of bottles of water in all our heavy protective clothing.

It’s the thought of a vehicle fire during that 90min the scares me.

To be fare this has been my first trip to spain & I was dreading the ferry, but it must have been beginner's look as I didn't have any hold ups.
I was surprised at how few bikes there wear, I was expecting loads we went on at Portsmouth deck 5 around twenty bikes.
At santander we got called down to the bikes & with in around 25 minutes I was out of the port. A couple at my first hotel told me it took them 90 minutes to get out the port ,also there return ferry had been put back to 11.30 pm.
Let's hope I'm as lucky on Sunday

We got back ok albeit getting through customs at around 17;50 ish after the delay to the ferry in the pissing down rain. Had a word with the guy who was directing the traffic from the boat to the border control as to why they let the cars, vans and motorhomes through first when it is torrential rain and guy's on the bikes are getting soaked whilst sitting in the que with no shelter? (Gripe over)

TA Steve

I was on the same boat. I wrote to BF, posting the letter Saturday morning. Email reply on Tuesday! They have now sent me 2x vouchers for meals on board, £30 each voucher. They are also refunding 25% of the homeward costs as that journey was delayed by over 3 hours. Nothing for the 2h45mins delay on the first leg.

I also complained about the port infrastructure and they gave a Gallic shrug and said, "not our fault."

The 3 hour ride home in that rain was one of the nastiest bike rides I have had for some time. If the ferry had docked at 11am as scheduled, we would have missed the storm.

TA Steve

A few years ago it was peeing down at Santander whilst waiting for the ferry
We were ushered to an open sided shed which you could hold a 100 bikes to avoid the rain
What happened to you guys ?

A few years ago it was peeing down at Santander whilst waiting for the ferry
We were ushered to an open sided shed which you could hold a 100 bikes to avoid the rain
What happened to you guys ?

most were out in the rain at Santander - it was a filthy day there as well. Very wet ride up from Cervera de Pisuerga. I got a coffee and loitered under the very small outdoor cover until a seat came free. No offer of a shed for shelter.

Hi every one, might sound like a numpty question but when Brittany ferry's says all departures & arrivals are local time .
I take it departing from santander at 14.oo will be in spanish time (Central European summer time).
Thanks,
Ian.

In my experience it is always local time - same as arrival time is the UK time

most were out in the rain at Santander - it was a filthy day there as well. Very wet ride up from Cervera de Pisuerga. I got a coffee and loitered under the very small outdoor cover until a seat came free. No offer of a shed for shelter.

This like a garage forecourt canopy- but larger and further down the dockside
We were all sent there to shelter in the dry for a good while

This like a garage forecourt canopy- but larger and further down the dockside
We were all sent there to shelter in the dry for a good while

they are using that for the customs checks - the routing of traffic at the port has changed this year - you enter and exit the port directly off the A67 at J204 rather than entering along the quay here https://goo.gl/maps/3YAu1JUtD1XjxHoBA

Overnight boat to St Malo, an easy days ride to the Pyrenees….cheaper, easier, and riding rather then sitting around on a boat..

Return to Portsmouth on overnight Cherbourg boat…

Easy.

I priced up both routes….it’s a nice run via the western route…

Overnight boat to St Malo, an easy days ride to the Pyrenees….cheaper, easier, and riding rather then sitting around on a boat..

Easy.

Is there much difference riding v cruising in costs ?

Hi all, I have been on European trips for 25+ years and nearly all of them have been using Brittany Ferries - and every trip prior to Covid, that is to say 2020, has been excellent.
BUT, and there is a big but here, this summer I think us "bikers" have simply been mistreated and taken for mugs !!
Terrible treatment, but at least we thought when we eventually got off the ship - great, but no, we then had a huge queue for the two passport check huts.......
On the way back, it was even worse, we were still put down on deck 2 but placed near a pair of huge fan motors, and yes, they started them up and we had to stay near our bikes for 25 minutes with those roaring away. Last off again and long queues at the passport check booths.
And what is it with making motorcycles ride on and turn around etc, then turn around again when docked to get off, car and lorry drivers don't have to do that.
On reflection, it isn't as if we travel for free, 4 motorcycles take up the deck space of just one car and I bet that car didn't have to pay the collective total of £1650 that us 4 solo riders had to pay.
No, they certainly did not !!
I am not one to complain, in fact like most people, I shy away from doing anything like that, but this trip I felt like, as a motorcyclist, I simply wasn't wanted on their ferry, so I emailed them on my return and guess what, the automatic email reply I received said I will need to wait 35 days for a reply ??
If it wasn't for the fact that I happen to live in Cornwall, I would use the Channel tunnel every time.
Rant over.
Anyone else pi**ed of with Brittany Ferries ?

Leaving aside that motorcycles, unlike cars, vans and lorries, are a pain in the arse to most carriers, chiefly because they have two wheels and fall over. Have you written to the ferry company, setting out in a polite letter the problems you (as a regular and repeat customer) encountered? If not, I’d recommend that you do.

Santander ferry

Is there much difference riding v cruising in costs ?

Overnight ferry to St Malo with cabin one way is about £140

St Malo to Santander is 600 miles.So if we assume 45 mpg (some bikes will easily better this. ) then that’s about £100 at £7.50 per gallon.
Overnight hotel say £60 and you’ll probably use 1/6 of tyre wear.
New set of tyres £300 max so another £50.

Autoroute tolls £40 (ish)

So that’s about £ 250
Total £ 390

One way ferry Plymouth-Santander with cabin is £350 ish.

Bit cheaper to ferry down….

All figures approx and doesn’t include sharing cabins or staying in a Formule One.

I do not price in bike service/tyre/running costs….

And I can do St Malo - St Jean Pied Du Port in a day, so overnight not needed…

So I reckon for me to be in the Pyrenees it’s around £280 Ferry/tolls /petrol

Easy.

Tried that option twice, never again.

In exactly the same way that some bods prefer to use the Dover ferry over the Chunnel and visa-versa, some bods will favour a motorway over D roads (but some bods will never, apparently, ever even contemplate using a motorway) so it follows that some bods will favour the ferry to Spain, whilst others would prefer to ride all the way there. Some will sometimes favour a mixture of both. There is no single perfect ‘You MUST do it this way, mate’; it really is as simple as that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom