3500 miles on my V85

tyclyd

Gary
UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Successful mini road trip concluded. Just over 3500 miles, average of just under 60mpg on the D roads and route nationale. Only one fully dry day and ended up basing myself in Auvergne-Rhône-Alpes… whilst some may meditate, some play sports… for me 6 - 7 hours of riding, just focused on the road, just me, the bike, and the trip – it’s my inner zen provider.

Interesting start to the journey in as much with only two bikes in the carriage, I shared my breakfast with another rider and his wife, the sort of simple gesture we would all do on a long road trip… they were travelling to Italy in 20 hours on an 1200 Triumph Scrambler (via the Péage so pretty hardcore on an naked twin)… bit later the same day I had an IG post and an invite to stay in an Italian villa… turns out the bloke was the film director (if you’re a 60s kid you will know him) Peter Richardson with his wife… so now have an open invitation and free digs in an Italian villa.

Overall, the Guzzi performed faultlessly… no punctures, no oil (unlike my R1150GSA (which would have used at least a litre)), nothing fell off or broke… but it true Italian style after 3 days of torrential rain the right hand switchgear and screen wobbled and worked intermittently but after a dry out and squirt of contact cleaner we were back in action… three days back in my warm workshop we are now both in denial that anything ever happened…

Things I learnt.

• Spending a lot of money in the spring on Klim Bandlands Pro 3 Jacket and Trousers was not “an unnecessary extravagance” as Mary called it… not a drop of water got in via the Gortex Pro.
• That despite the Badlands, water will still track in via a Buff and the Pinlock on my Arai X4 is useless.
• Waterproof gloves are not…
• ‘Tenting’ is for the young or foolish – Ibis Budget all the way between £43- £47 a night with breakfast.
• I am very good at making cheese rolls under the cover of a table out of site of the owners of said Ibis Budget.
• Petrol is subsidised in France.
• Drink is subsidised in France.
• Food has gone up in price a lot… eating out is expensive but you can cobble together a hot meal in the bedroom of again… an Ibis Budget.
• The Cols shut early... even in September lots of snow at higher altitudes and the temperature fluctuates from 1 to abut 17 degrees.
• Popping exhausts and overrevving in tunnels is funny no matter your age.
• Michelin Anakee Adventure tyres are good in the wet but square off quickly.

Sure, there is more to say, and you can follow my musings and past trips @tyclyd.com. the days went in a heartbeat and although it was nice to be home and out of the rain… I do it all again tomorrow if I could.

Attachments

• IMG_3933.jpg
    IMG_3933.jpg
    161 KB · Views: 344
  • ngfnh.jpg
    ngfnh.jpg
    117.4 KB · Views: 342
  • Save the day.jpg
    Save the day.jpg
    124.8 KB · Views: 341
  • dvdfvd.jpg
    dvdfvd.jpg
    59.3 KB · Views: 340
Good write up Gary, I am 100% in agreement with your bullet points above. For me, and I suspect for you too, solo is the best way to travel. It’s good to meet like minded people on the way, but solo gives you so much freedom. I did a 2300 mile tour of Germany back in June and hotels are the best way especially at my age!

Mike

I know what you mean about the electronics. I toured a very wet Germany and Czech Republic with a mate who had an Aprilia Shiver. Every morning it became a guessing game around which particular item wouldn't be working. Mileometer, fuel gauge, speedo... but the bike always started and ran faultlessly....it just required guesswork in some areas. It's every Italian bike's prerogative. :D

(unlike my R1150GSA (which would have used at least a litre)), ?

why ?

Because they all do that sir!
Just about every R1150GS that I knew or owned like to sip a drop of oil, I always took a litre bottle when I was touring.

(unlike my R1150GSA (which would have used at least a litre)), ?

why ?

It just does, it’s got about 160,000 on the clock if not a bit more, is 20 years old and likes to sip a little 20W50 now and then

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for sharing - and inspiring!

Yes, there's no telling whom one may meet, when engaged in conversation with strangers......it's how the world used to work!

(I'm going to talk to the person sitting next to me at Principality Stadium on 5th November, regardless of the colour of their jersey...LOL!)

Safe travels...

Because they all do that sir!
Just about every R1150GS that I knew or owned like to sip a drop of oil, I always took a litre bottle when I was touring.

They do
I did about 1100 miles around Ireland in Sept and put in 4-500ml in mine with 67,000 on it and my T700 doesn't use any, ever

Nice write up, Gary....glad to hear the V85TT dried out the same as mine did - I've had no further problems but may take the switch apart and add some Dielectric silicone grease.

Back
Top Bottom