Harley Lithium Battery

Doc

Let's Av It
UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Are they worth the investment or just stick with the normal battery ?

Cheers

Lithium batteries are a PITA certainly on Ducati

You need a different sort of charger to keep them topped up and its something to do with cranking amps ( I dont know much about electrical stuff) that makes them a bit more fragile

People fit them to save weight but I would suggest that on a Harley a few ounces on a battery wont make much difference

Others may have a different opinion and greater knowledge than me

Everything I have read/heard about them has persuaded me to leave them well alone.

Why Doc?? TO be trendy to tell folks you have a lithium battery?

Tech has improved a lot But they are not a good battery that will provide good continuous Cold Crank Amps

My mate had a harley and he dumped the Lithium after three months

If he did not get the motor spinning quick enough and catch it on the first go ?

The lithium did not have the capacity of the Odyssey which would spin it over half a dozen shots of the starter button

I know a few guys over here had them on their "Bobber" and "Scrambler" Airheads and replaced them fairly soon after

If they sat or they didn't get the motor to fire up first or second time the Lithium just did not seem to have the puff to spin the motor a 3rd time

"PLUS" If it develops a Fault Lithium fires are somewhat awesome to watch

Me trendy def not. And i generally dont talk about batteries.
I was just curious about them and thought i would ask. Now i know and wont bother.

Stock OEM Harley battery is the best…

I have a Lithium Battery on my 2012 Dyna, but I wouldn't have forked out the £200 + it cost if I'd had to buy it myself (it came with the Bike).
I usually opt for MotoBatt....

Thanks lads. Original it is.

To Lithium of Not - is it the 21st Century oil thread...

Some very negative views on here. Quite different to my experience - I posted this to a recent airhead Lithium thread:
I've used Shorai and Shido lithium-ion batteries on various motorbikes for well over a decade and, for me, the benefits far outweigh any potential drawbacks and the high cost.
Just do your research, don't rely on hearsay. Laptops, power tools, starter batteries, electric cars - each uses a different type of Lithium ion battery with different chracteristics. New tech needs new working methods.
eg I've had no cold start issues whatsoever - once I learned that they need to be 'woken up' first if left overnight in a freezing cold garage...(turn the headlight on for 30 seconds before pressing the starter, big whoop).
They also need to avoid overcharging so a suitablly large capacity is essential - although most now incorporate a battery management system to negate this issue. And they also don't like voltage spikes so a modern reg rectifier (eg MOSFET) is a good idea. (As is a dedicated Lithium charger if charging via the mains - although it's not essential).
And I've not caught fire either - Lithium starter batteries are Lithium Iron Phosphate - not the type used in electric cars or airplanes. Used properly they're no more of a fire risk than Ni-Cad batteries - and you don't hear people going on about those any more do you?
BTW a Shido 51913 is a good fit in the battery tray of an r100gs ...it saves nearly 7 kg - a whole stone... Blimey!

For info

I just do as the collective says.

Some very negative views on here. Quite different to my experience - I posted this to a recent airhead Lithium thread:
I've used Shorai and Shido lithium-ion batteries on various motorbikes for well over a decade and, for me, the benefits far outweigh any potential drawbacks and the high cost……. blah-blah-blah…
BTW a Shido 51913 is a good fit in the battery tray of an r100gs ...it saves nearly 7 kg - a whole stone... Blimey!

For info

So they’re expensive….have a list of drawbacks that you quote….and the only benefit you quote (weight saving) means diddly squat on a Harley? Interesting logic.

DEKA makes (made?) HD batteries; last one I bought was much cheaper than from HD (but that was in Australia!).

I say "made?" because they don't seem to list any HD more recent than 2019 (under "Power Sport" tab).

A

Motobatt are a crock of shit, used them on a few bikes, didn`t last how they should have, never again, crock of shit....OEM is a good choice as has been suggested.

I can`t remember what I used to put on, but it matters not in this climate, batteries last for ever....

Back
Top Bottom