Tour of Wales, 90 years on

These are the 'Ride Reports' that I like ... plenty of photos :thumb

:beerjug:

The following morning, after a hearty breakfast, we timed our departure to avoid the School Run. We decided to have a ride up to the Great Orme and discovered the fantastic Toll Road that twists and turns around the headland to Conwy. The tolls are suspended for the winter and we had this amazing balcony road to ourselves.

Last edited by a moderator:
We had decided to head south across country via B roads. However after a pleasant lunch in a village near Welshpool, we were diverted off our B road onto a farm track where I came to grief and had to be extracted from a hedge by Hayden! No harm done apart from a few bruises, but we elected to get onto the A483 ASAP and head south. As it turns out, this road was clear and we had a fantastic blast back through mid-Wales. I bid farewell to Hayden near Sennybridge before he set off home to Hampshire; but not before he had crossed the famous single track suspension bridge at Erwood south of Builth Wells.

A great tour; I remain in awe of these fine young men who travelled Wales in 1932, very much the early days of motorcycling (basically, bicycles with engines), with terrible roads and no safety gear.

I bet they had the time of their lives ...

Ride on, fellas. It was an honour to follow in your footsteps.

What a wonderful thing to have done, fabulous ride report with an emotional reason to follow in their footsteps.

Great read Dave
(Same headlight guard doing service 19 years later...

52429972073_c914b5dfdb_z.jpg

Couldn't find any of us at Betws y Coed)

A wonderful trip and one I will cherish for the rest of my days. Thanks for taking me along with you. Here's to the next one :beerjug:

A wonderful trip and one I will cherish for the rest of my days. Thanks for taking me along with you. Here's to the next one :beerjug:

Wouldn't have been the same without you. We'll do something similar at the Centenary ... plus a bit more in between :okay

Thanks for the Hedge Extraction too :thumb2

Wouldn't have been the same without you. We'll do something similar at the Centenary ... plus a bit more in between :okay

Thanks for the Hedge Extraction too :thumb2

I’m counting on it!!! Although, I’m still waiting for the fateful footage of said Hedge Extraction…

Retroman, Thanks for sharing your joint ride - I just wonder what those original guys would have thought of what you were wearing and what you were riding (!)
Their journey was obviously a treasured event for them judging by the map/artwork and their photos.
What a marvellous tribute you have paid to them.
And of course, Wales seemed to have given you the (rare!) perfect weather.
What smiles you have brought to many, through this post. Thank you again.

Retroman, Thanks for sharing your joint ride - I just wonder what those original guys would have thought of what you were wearing and what you were riding (!)
Their journey was obviously a treasured event for them judging by the map/artwork and their photos.
What a marvellous tribute you have paid to them.
And of course, Wales seemed to have given you the (rare!) perfect weather.
What smiles you have brought to many, through this post. Thank you again.

Thanks for those kind words, Kit! Glad you enjoyed the report.
We were VERY lucky with the weather - one downpour south of Llangollen, otherwise fine. Rare indeed in Wales, especially during October. With quiet roads it was an epic tour of a great biking country.:thumb2

Back
Top Bottom