1997 Evo Dyna tech questions

Jon T

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Hi All,
I’m new to this section, but I’ve recently bought a mildly bobbed Dyna-Conv and I’m having trouble getting answers to my technical questions, which mostly centre around mods done to the bike in its 25 years..

Is there anyone here with a working knowledge of late Evo engined Dynas? If not, where would be a good place to seek advice on things like electrics and running gear?

TIA…

Cheers, Jon

Ask up…. See what we can do….

Or, we can hook you up with a decent shop near Birmingham.

Okay, thanks.
The current things that are perplexing me are -

I want to fit an upper belt guard, but with the aftermarket billet rear pulley, there’s not enough axial clearance for the rear mount and hardware to fit - it would clash with the pulley mounting bolts. All I can think is that the flange on the pulley is thicker than the original one, but that seems odd?

Also, I want to get rid of the horrid T bars that are fitted and fit regular XR bars. The bars are aftermarket & internally wired, so I bought new switchgear to save wrestling them out and probably buggering them up. The problem is, there is no connector visible to unplug the old ones & fit the new. Whereabouts should I find the plugs for the handlebar switchgear - is it within the frame tube, or has some PO cut the loom about?

Is the shop you’re talking about Thunder Road?

Cheers, Jon

Ref the connector for HB switch gear - as you sit on the bike - look at the frame on the right hand side in front of the petrol tank - donyiu have a cluster of wires there? Maybe going into a grommet?

Cant help on aftermarket pulley - could be anything…..

Ref the connector for HB switch gear - as you sit on the bike - look at the frame on the right hand side in front of the petrol tank - donyiu have a cluster of wires there? Maybe going into a grommet?

Hmmm… mu switch looms come out of the LH side of the frame & go to the bars without a connector block. Disappointing…

I used to put pictures on here using Photobucket, but they have taken their ball home. What’s the best way these days?

Hmmm… mu switch looms come out of the LH side of the frame & go to the bars without a connector block. Disappointing…

I used to put pictures on here using Photobucket, but they have taken their ball home. What’s the best way these days?

Sounds like someone has lopped off the connectors - it shouldn't be difficult to either reinstate them, or simply splice into the existing joint site.

This link may assist ............. https://www.hdforums.com/forum/dyna-glide-models/68079-how-to-do-handlebar-internal-wiring.html

Yeah, this is with the tank off. Mine is a bit different to that in the video - the loom exits out of the left hand side of the frame spine. I can’t believe there are connectors within the frame, so someone has spliced the wire, removing the original connectors. Shame. As you say, it shouldn’t be too technically difficult to reinstate connectors, just a bit of a faff identifying the bits I need and finding a supply etc.

Ah well, this is what we do for fun, after all. I think I’ll have to take the pulley off and counterbore the holes or fit some thinner washers
, to make space for the belt guard hardware. To my eyes, it doesn’t look right without one.

Ah well, this is what we do for fun, after all. I think I’ll have to take the pulley off and counterbore the holes or fit some thinner washers, to make space for the belt guard hardware. To my eyes, it doesn’t look right without one.

I always ran my Dyna Wideglide minus the upper & lower belt guards so that road debris found its way in there it wouldn't get jammed in the belt ;)

I always ran my Dyna Wideglide minus the upper & lower belt guards so that road debris found its way in there it wouldn't get jammed in the belt ;)

There is utility in this...No belt guards on any of my Buells, my HD`s had them because I couldn`t be arsed to remove them...But the belts on the proper HD`s are good, better than the Buell belts...Which is weird, because most full fat HD`s don`t have any real power unless you start tarting them up a bit...

Quick update on the rear belt drive - I bought a new, stock rear pulley at an attractive price, and went to change it over on Friday. Turns out my bike is running 32/61 gearing and a 1 1/8” Sportster belt, although still on the 1 1/2” drive pulley. The drop from the 70 tooth standard rear pulley explains the super-long legged feel to the bike, and I guess the slimmer belt was required to fit a 150 section rear tyre?

Anywho, I put it back together while I consider my options. It may be a case of if it isn’t broken, don’t fix it…

How we getting on?

Any pictures?

Ref above - Chain conversion?

Back
Top Bottom