Mull Of Kintyre

Onahi

The Equalizer
UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Anyone ridden there ? Apparently its accessible by car, just short of the Lighthouse. But the roads have been described as Horrendous. :nenau

The Mull of Kintyre is a large place, a beautiful place, where's the problem?

:beerjug:

Yes, rode down there a couple of years ago. Apart from the Covid weirdness it’s a nice area. Campbeltown was great. The road to the MoK is very small but easily rideable even in the pudding rain and thick fog when were there. Couldn’t see a thing. Got to the gate at the end and took a foggy pic and rode back to the cafe in Campbeltown to dry out and warm up. The road down the east side of Kintyre is better - more interesting - than the upgraded west coast road.

Yes, rode down there a couple of years ago. Apart from the Covid weirdness it’s a nice area. Campbeltown was great. The road to the MoK is very small but easily rideable even in the pudding rain and thick fog when were there. Couldn’t see a thing. Got to the gate at the end and took a foggy pic and rode back to the cafe in Campbeltown to dry out and warm up. The road down the east side of Kintyre is better - more interesting - than the upgraded west coast road.
Cheers. I'd read through the reviews on trip advisor. Some were saying that road to the lighthouse was so scary they turned around ! There's a memorial to the 1994 Chinook crash there too. OK. Sounds like a plan.
Thanks again .

Yes, rode down there in March. It can get very windy. The west coast road is quite dull but I would still rather do a loop than ride the same road and double back (I hate doubling back). Yes the lighthouse road is narrow, undulating and the surface is variable but it’s fine, just watch out for oncoming. The road to the lighthouse (after you’ve parked up) is steep and whether you walk down there will depend on how energetic you’re feeling. You can easily see Ireland across the water from there.

To the east side of the southern point, you have the old lifeboat house at Dunaverty’s rock, and there’s a beach partway between that sometimes has seals on it.

Springbank distillery in Campbeltown is well worth a stop if you like a wee dram.

The ride back up the east coast road is nice and undulating. We stopped partway up and managed to find the small cottage and beach from the Mull of Kintyre video which is something of an early childhood memory for me.

There is a less circuitous route during spring and summer by taking the ferry from Ardrossan but that stops in September.

dee324f3b6e2c776df5ad9667439d758.jpg

ef47f3beedfab71b05bbd06b6c01c094.jpg

9db3ac2c23799015893667aa10cdfed7.jpg

Fantastic. Exactly what I was looking for. Thank you all for your contributions.
I also have fond memories of the house from my childhood. My father is a scouse! So I will look forward to this.

Fantastic. Exactly what I was looking for. Thank you all for your contributions.
I also have fond memories of the house from my childhood. My father is a scouse! So I will look forward to this.

If you fancy going to it, it’s maybe 1km on foot. PM me and I can help with details of where to park, and send you a map of how to find it.

If you fancy going to it, it’s maybe 1km on foot. PM me and I can help with details of where to park, and send you a map of how to find it.

thank you.
That is appreciated:thumb2

Hostel in Campbelltown. https://campbeltownbackpackers.co.uk/perch/core/runway/start.php

The ride out to the Mull is several miles of single track road. There's a car park at the end and you have to walk down to the lighthouse. That's a descent of several hundred feet ... and back up again. In bike gear. It might be possible to ride the bike around the gate at the top which would make things a little easier.

Why not combine the trip with a visit to Islay and then back via the Claonaig ferry to Arran?

Why not combine the trip with a visit to Islay and then back via the Claonaig ferry to Arran?

Looking into this:thumb2

I did read one review where they opened the gate and drove down to the lighthouse?

Back
Top Bottom