Ferry or Eurotunnel? - travel to Santander

Status
Not open for further replies.
Riding for two days in possible miserable conditions and the tedium of motorways, arriving knackered or resting for 26 hours (or whatever it is) arriving refreshed ready for Spains finest. I've done both several times, there is IMO no competition. Maybe I have been unlucky with the weather in France

If your mates find it boring on the ferry, meet them there thats what I would do.

And what if there’s a Force 9 blowing for 30 hours of the entire ferry crossing ?
You may not arrive rested….
Swings and roundabouts,innit…..

And what if there’s a Force 9 blowing for 30 hours of the entire ferry crossing ?

I would expect that force 9 to affect your ride down the west coast of France as well

Whatever :nenau Personally I would never ride down to the Picos even if it was half the price, my choice:thumb

You may not arrive rested….…..

At least the cafes and restaurant will be quieter and you won’t have to queue , you can enjoy a restful meal
You may have the cinema to yourself too

The cost is fairly similar whether you go by ferry or bike. It may depend on what sort of hotel you like and what sort of restaurant. Equally, it might depend on whether you travel during school holidays, which it appears you will be.

Poole to Cherbourg and back will cost £135 for rider and bike

Portsmouth to Santander and back, £687

£550 buys decent hotels, meals and consumables and gives you the pleasure of riding your new 1250 GSA. I know what I'd do.

Another option is ride south and ferry back after you have been riding for a month.

At least the cafes and restaurant will be quieter and you won’t have to queue , you can enjoy a restful meal

So long as the bar is open. Old habits die hard. :D

You can take the man out of the Navy...........

Just recently back from the Portsmouth to Santander trip and return on board the Galicia.

It’s a two night sailing down and one night on the return.

There’s not much to do except eat and drink but it does save on the long route down through France unless you want to tour a bit on the way down.

Cost wise, there probably isn’t much in it

Never experienced anything like that on the Portsmouth/Santander/Bilbao routes, Im sure it happens. Now the Steam Packet to IoM that's a different kettle of fish altogether, on our first foray to the TT in 2007 (I think) I enjoyed an eventful crossing, which my food was only spoilt slightly by the steaming piles of puke and the white powder they put on it.

for me Newhaven Dieppe, not a long ferry, cuts out a bit of riding both to get to the port and in France, plus its a cheap ferry always ridden down never taken the Santander ferry although this year in the heat I wish I had

for me Newhaven Dieppe, not a long ferry, cuts out a bit of riding both to get to the port and in France, plus its a cheap ferry always ridden down never taken the Santander ferry although this year in the heat I wish I had

one thing that still works well on the Pont Aven is the air con (as does the heating using the same vents, needed to dry my Goretex suit on the return journey)

happy days - I did the Economie crossing to Bilbao in Sept 2019 in a heavy storm. The MV Baie de Seine does not plough through the big waves like Pont Aven etc. so most people retired to their cabins looking poorly. The self serve restaurant and bars were empty so no queues.

Listen to these chaps ... Ferry straight to Santander .. you don't want 2 days or riding through France just to get to the start point .. IMHO.:)

Unless you really really want to ride through France, ferry to Santander every time. We treated ourselves to an upgrade to commodore class last time (big birthdays, an inheritance to spend plus £200 discount so fuck it). It was soooo worth it. Sod France with it speed limits, random opening hours, weird filling stations, toll roads, and patchily really crap food. Do it in proper style. You wouldn’t regret it.

I used to get off the train in Coquelles at about 5:30 PM and ride through the night and be in Spain for about 08:00 hrs, couple of lay-by sleeps or petrol station sleeps...Harley riding is easier though.

If money was no object, I would have used the private jet or the helicopter.

Portsmouth to St Malo… western route, in Spain for tea time… nice easy 500 mile day….

Which will be cheaper next summer?

You can near enough work it out today:

A. Find out today’s prices for a return crossing next year.

1. Uk to Spain and back by boat.

2. UK to France and back by train.

That gives you the crossing costs.

B. Add to price A1 the cost(s) involved getting from your house to the ferry’s UK departure point and the cost(s) involved in you getting back from the ferry’s UK arrival point back to your home.

C. Add to price A2 the cost(s)involved to get you from home to the Chunnel and back.

D. Then add to A2, the cost(s) involved getting yourself from Calais to Spain and back by road.

Now, how anal do you want to be about the costs(s)? Obviously fuel is a consideration, so use today’s fuel price and assume that your bike will use a litre of fuel every 10 miles, which is a pretty good rule of thumb. Use Google maps to give you the distances. Add in the price of hotels and meals. Hotel prices vary, anything from a Formula 1 and living on CuppaSoup, to nights in the George Cinque, with room service. You’ll know which you’ll prefer. Remember that you’ll be coming back, too. If you want to you can factor going by motorway (which has an additional cost) or by non-motorway roads, which don’t; you’ll know if you avoid motorways like the plague or worship them. Now you can get to use Dr Jung’s Anal Mirror; maybe add tyre wear, mileage depreciation, your inside leg measurement, possible boredom factor and anything else you fancy *.

When you have finished with your water cooled abacus, let us know, please.

* There are bods on this website that record stuff like this on a spreadsheet, probably with different tabs and in different colours. They love it.

PS For information on Dr Jung’s Anal Mirror, read The House of God by Samuel Shem. As the book advises, never use it in bright sun.

You missed

Calculate the depreciation of the bike per mile travelled and add to the overland option + tyre wear

It all adds up

You missed

Calculate the depreciation of the bike per mile travelled and add to the overland option + tyre wear

It all adds up

Also include why you bought a bike in the first place. To ride, or to stick it on the ferry?

This is getting a little surreal: here’s one to consider too. If riding through France, there is more likelihood of getting a fly in your eye than whilst at sea on the ferry (fewer flies at sea, see) factor in the cost of eye wash or more drastic medical intervention. Also the additional use of visor cleaner while on the road may be significant and could be the straw that breaks the camels back.
It all adds up.
Alan R

Thanks for all replies. I think I will take the Ferry to Santander and then will drive to Portugal (Final destination). On the way back possibly will do the same.
Any one able to provide a discount on the Ferry. I’ll be travelling in high season. It needs to be members who joined before 16 November 2021.
Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom