Ferry or Eurotunnel? - travel to Santander

Status
Not open for further replies.

Deus

Reaction score
Hi, I’m planning to travel to Santander or Bilbao in the summer 2023 on my new 1250GSA.
Departing end of July and returning end of August. I would like to know what will be cheaper? Getting the eurotunnel in Folkestone and then riding across France to get to Spain (possible 2 nights) or getting the ferry from Portsmouth to Santander or Bilbao?
Thanks

you need to get a price from Brittany Ferries then get your calculator out - a return crossing for me, Plymouth to Santander 24 Sept out, return 4 October is £485. For me, the ferry is cheaper assuming 2 overnights crossing France, motorway tolls and fuel. Plus the fatigue of blatting through France autumn weather means it is not just a financial decision.

I booked 3 months ago, you will pay more due to booking later and going in the school holidays, so your sums might not work out the same.

Once you know the ferry cost, go to Viamichelin and it will estimate the cost of a journey using toll roads or avoiding tolls. It will also estimate the time for each journey. Add in the cost of hotels of the class you would use. Compare costs with the ferry, plus other factors relevant to you.

If you decide on the Ferry drop me a pm for 10% off as I’m a club voyager member.

Which will be cheaper next summer?

You can near enough work it out today:

A. Find out today’s prices for a return crossing next year.

1. Uk to Spain and back by boat.

2. UK to France and back by train.

That gives you the crossing costs.

B. Add to price A1 the cost(s) involved getting from your house to the ferry’s UK departure point and the cost(s) involved in you getting back from the ferry’s UK arrival point back to your home.

C. Add to price A2 the cost(s)involved to get you from home to the Chunnel and back.

D. Then add to A2, the cost(s) involved getting yourself from Calais to Spain and back by road.

Now, how anal do you want to be about the costs(s)? Obviously fuel is a consideration, so use today’s fuel price and assume that your bike will use a litre of fuel every 10 miles, which is a pretty good rule of thumb. Use Google maps to give you the distances. Add in the price of hotels and meals. Hotel prices vary, anything from a Formula 1 and living on CuppaSoup, to nights in the George Cinque, with room service. You’ll know which you’ll prefer. Remember that you’ll be coming back, too. If you want to you can factor going by motorway (which has an additional cost) or by non-motorway roads, which don’t; you’ll know if you avoid motorways like the plague or worship them. Now you can get to use Dr Jung’s Anal Mirror; maybe add tyre wear, mileage depreciation, your inside leg measurement, possible boredom factor and anything else you fancy *.

When you have finished with your water cooled abacus, let us know, please.

* There are bods on this website that record stuff like this on a spreadsheet, probably with different tabs and in different colours. They love it.

PS For information on Dr Jung’s Anal Mirror, read The House of God by Samuel Shem. As the book advises, never use it in bright sun.

Which will be cheaper next summer?

You can near enough work it out today:

A. Find out today’s prices for a return crossing next year.

1. Uk to Spain and back by boat.

2. UK to France and back by train.

That gives you the crossing costs.

B. Add to price A1 the cost(s) involved getting from your house to the ferry’s UK departure point and the cost(s) involved in you getting back from the ferry’s UK arrival point back to your home.

C. Add to price A2 the cost(s)involved to get you from home to the Chunnel and back.

D. Then add to A2, the cost(s) involved getting yourself from Calais to Spain and back by road.

Now, how anal do you want to be about the costs(s)? Obviously fuel is a consideration, so use today’s fuel price and assume that your bike will use a litre of fuel every 10 miles, which is a pretty good rule of thumb. Use Google maps to give you the distances. in the price of hotels and meals. Hotel prices vary, anything from a Formula 1 and living on CuppaSoup, to nights in the George Cinque, with room service. You’ll know which you’ll prefer. Remember that you’ll be coming back, too. If you want to be really anal, you can factor going by motorway (which has an additional cost) or by non-motorway roads, which don’t. To these, add tyre wear, mileage depreciation, your inside leg measurement, possible boredom factor and anything else you fancy.

When you have finished with your water cooled abacus, let us know, please.

Bloody hell i have headache reading that never mind working it out.;)

I often do ports-Caen or to St Malo and ride down and get the ferry back from Santander, it’s not about the cost but what’s more enjoyable, saving £100 additional wear on consumables it’s all nonsense your on holiday make it enjoyable.

Have done this a few time in the past, because my mates are cost conscious. Older and wiser now. As said you are on holiday unless the difference is hundred's find what makes it enjoyable. Been on a wet motorway freezing mile after mile. You soon realise saving money was a bad idea

You are going on a brand new 1250GSA that costs something like £15,500 ???

You are planning to be away for a month.

And yet you are counting the pennies for the travelling there and back part.

I often do ports-Caen or to St Malo and ride down and get the ferry back from Santander, it’s not about the cost but what’s more enjoyable, saving £100 additional wear on consumables it’s all nonsense your on holiday make it enjoyable.

This is what I do (or via the tunnel). I enjoy the journey and it looks like the OP has plenty of time…

Not forgetting, if you happen to travel from November or if dates overlap.

The official website of the European Union is europa.eu. The EU has confirmed that British citizens will be eligible for ETIAS when it is launched in November 2023. This means that UK nationals will not need a visa for short stays in Europe after Brexit but an ETIAS visa waiver will be required.

Not forgetting, if you happen to travel from November or if dates overlap.

The official website of the European Union is europa.eu. The EU has confirmed that British citizens will be eligible for ETIAS when it is launched in November 2023. This means that UK nationals will not need a visa for short stays in Europe after Brexit but an ETIAS visa waiver will be required.

First time I have heard about this, more bloody Brexit bull$hit, and for the record, no, I do not blame the EU, it’s UKs fault!

I liked your first version better ;)

I liked your first version better ;)

Well spotted Mr. W.

For those that missed it I had simply added something along the lines of "I won't be bothering to reply".

But of course I had replied so I deleted that bit as I thought the pedantic folk on the forum may pick up on that and I could be in serious trouble.

My riding buddies can't handle the boredom of sitting on a boat for a day and a night........ Like a teenage girl with no phone signal, they are soon climbing the walls.

I have no issue with it, I find it quite peaceful and relaxing.

YMMV.

Nearer £20k at current prices

Riding for two days in possible miserable conditions and the tedium of motorways, arriving knackered or resting for 26 hours (or whatever it is) arriving refreshed ready for Spains finest. I've done both several times, there is IMO no competition. Maybe I have been unlucky with the weather in France

If your mates find it boring on the ferry, meet them there thats what I would do.

Bods need to be reminded that the OP’s question is about the relative costs between a ferry crossing to Spain, versus a Chunnel crossing and a subsequent two night ride across France to Spain. In other words, which method is the more expensive for him and his spanking new GSA? It is not about whether he should or shouldn’t.

Hi, I’m planning to travel to Santander or Bilbao in the summer 2023 on my new 1250GSA.
Departing end of July and returning end of August. I would like to know what will be cheaper? Getting the eurotunnel in Folkestone and then riding across France to get to Spain (possible 2 nights) or getting the ferry from Portsmouth to Santander or Bilbao?
Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom