Gaels in Mozambique.

Are you actually buying a DR650, or an example of the bike in your catalogue picture....which is a DR400 ?

hi Simon & Jim, great to meet you in Leenane. what rental agency are you using in ZA? safe riding

It’s a small firm called Wild Hogs in Johannesburg…seem very responsive and have good (but few) reviews. Time will tell

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

It’s a small firm called Wild Hogs in Johannesburg…seem very responsive and have good (but few) reviews. Time will tell

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I've a mate that's just returned from SA having lived there for 35 years. He's big into offroad, I've messaged him asking about Wild Hogs for you.

Cheers Luke!

The suitcase is packed, with 4 sleeps to go
dbf261de4a6483554b4c34b39c1c7d92.jpg

Contents are many and varied, including a copy of the Moz traffic code and fines to help manage the expectations of any avaricious traffic cop (apparently only the ones wearing white can legally stop traffic, FWIW).
c609fc97e507aeb8b9c90c9b36907d62.jpg

Also included are, variously, a tank bag and a set of Magadan soft panniers (both from UKGSer), my Enduro motorcycle boots and Revit Air trousers, medicine of various sorts, a locking strap and various other straps for the Magadans, some charger cables and most importantly in Africa, this:
44f641bb954609b83202e5973d4c1584.jpg

And somehow it is just about at the 23kg limit:
7ad8804bbc151abb0c0e99eb3dc6b7d1.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Also a potential fuel container, and a small Kriega pack to strap on the crash bars, and of course a sheepskin for the bike saddle…I am told the 800GS has a rather plank like saddle
0d2440c0ae2bc88e3285c8cca0a2f0e3.jpg

The medicine cabinet…doubling up with what Jim is bringing, in case we get separated for some reason
d3e0dc8e76f0f88d4447fb74b6a4b0bd.jpg

Simon...

Marvellous.. not jealous at all.. :rolleyes:

When I were a lad and backpacking round Asia where you'd find sinks of different dimensions in the plug hole dept we used to carry a square of old innertube that worked well as a universal sink plug! Fits all sizes , weight of the water made it seal....

Talking of net tubes, I have also packed a new spare 21” inner tube (the GS has tubed tyres) and will locate a 17” rear in Johannesburg. Fortunately Jim’s Serow XT 250 and my rental 800GS have same wheel sizes so one set of spares should suffice. In reality, punctures are rare…I didn’t have a single one in my 40,000 kms around Africa (and in fact in my 150,000 kms on my GS only a couple of slow punctures in all that time)

Looking forward to this, as always, Simon and Jim.
Safe travels.

Thanks guys! Moz link looks interesting and Tofo is definitely on the ‘possible itinerary’….says the travellers(s) without an itinerary

Well the first part of my non itinerary was to catch the 20:15 flight to Addis Ababa and I'm now on board. The only fly in the ointment so far, was the checking guy said Namibian immigration will ask for travel insurance, but he believed me when I said I have some. I have travel insurance through my bank account but never been asked to prove it before.

When I got checked in I looked up the details on line and discovered the policy has changed from a 45 day cover to 30 days. A quick upgrade sorted that and my cover is now for the full journey. So now ready if the Namibians ask for proof.

This flight stops in Addis and I pick up another that arrives in Windhoek, early afternoon tomorrow. I'll be collected and taken to the bike which should be ready to ride. I'll load the bike and ride into central Windhoek for the night, about 45km. Then I'll visit the Yamaha team in the morning to deliver a few parts from Europe. Parts are hard to source there. I was amused to get another parts request from them on Wednesday, my birthday, but that proved impossible to get to me on time.

After the Yamaha visit I'll head south for about 500km to stay in Keetmanshoop. This is a road I've travelled along a few times already. I'm planning to stay at the same B&B I let down in February, when I got ill on the road. They were very understanding and didn't charge for the bookings. This is all a bit dry but there should be some updates from the road soon.

Sent from my SM-G991B using Tapatalk

Wow, enjoy that guys!!

Be a tad careful offroad - whilst driving a 4x4 off-piste through soft sand from the border at Ponta Do Ouro to my favourite dive lodge some years ago, it occurred to me that whilst the hotel's bullet holes had always been an interesting talking point (legacy of the bush war, it had been used by FRELIMO as a base), they indicated that there had been plenty of action in that area, and I did start to ponder the chances of a rogue mine still lying somewhere in the sand.

However.... what a great place to visit. The abundance of good locally caught seafood, blended with the county's Portuguese influences, means you should be in for some real gastronomic treats. Failing that, the piri piri chicken livers on Portuguese rolls are beyond description!

Have a fabulous trip, can't wait to follow the updates.

Back
Top Bottom