Gaels in Mozambique.

Thanks Rich!

I came across this photos of the UKGSers at Leenane last September (), and it’s good to know that such a fine group is following our travelsIMG_6351.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

And that's the young feisty ones, wait till the grumpy old lads pitch in :beerjug:

:eek: What an amazing picture....

You'd get quite a bit of Guinness in some of those beards :beer:

I see I left the suggestion it would be more interesting on the road, now why did I say that. Well the flights were fine. I try and get a window seat to see where I'm flying over and as we flew down the Nile valley in Egypt it was notable the development close to the river, but darkness beyond.
62caba364248826d109bfeded7896074.jpg

Sent from my SM-G991B using Tapatalk

The arrival in Addis at 3 AM UK time, is not great, as you have to go through security again, not great in the middle of the night. I had time to buy some coffee before the connecting flight, but not much more. Arrival in Windhoek was to blue skies and a modest heat.
7ff651c8087804efdde27868dce9d8aa.jpg

Immigration was pretty easy, as I'd already filled out the A3 form, shrunk from A4 I suspect, and got through quickly. Those in the queue behind were trying to fill in the form with the tiny spaces, while standing. Not an easy task when you have to refer to info on other documents. Of course no request for proof of travel insurance. Feeling unduly pleased with myself, I moved to the baggage hall. This where the fun started. There were 3 carousels, one showing a Frankfurt flight and the other the Addis flight, both running. Some cases came out on the Addis carousel, then it stopped. Soon afterwards the Frankfurt carousel stopped. Then a guy appeared at the Addis carousel and started dragging cases out through the hole in the wall. He seemed to realise how slow and fruitless this was and stopped.
df56ee58edaa058c602cdcdeda233d3f.jpg

The 3rd carousel then started showing both flights and we all rushed to this one. The phrase, This is Africa, came to mind. My case came eventually and I left the baggage hall, full of bemused passengers.

Uwe, who runs the farm where my bike was stored, was waiting for me and looked after my luggage while I got a SIM card for my second phone, to create a hotspot. This done we left for the farm and I noticed the 6km track to the farm was sandler than ever, oh joy. In fact I'd seen the sandy track from the air as we approached. The bike was fully prepped and I loaded up.

b7940584b37030ee5f5da8360ddb9b35.jpg

Quickly the contents of the case were on and in the bike. It's always tricky to come to a stored bike and bring what's required, this time it was a waterproof jacket, which I seemed to have taken back to England in February. So with a loaded bike I headed off to the dreaded track.

3f240d9025f9459fbd26f1b55f9936ba.jpg

There was one minor moment, changing to the other side of the track, but bike and I remained upright and reached the road. I noticed that my heart rate monitor app thought I was cycling, I assume based on the fact I was travelling at cycling pace. At the B&B in town I did a few changes to the bike adding a better, if fluffy, seat cover. Its been referred to as my "dead cat cover" by friends in UK. After this activity I was running on empty and just had enough adrenaline to pop out for a meal at my favourite Italian. Great to be greeted like a returning prodigal son and this buzz and the pasta kept me going till fell into bed.

Today started with a visit to the Yamaha dealer and do some deliveries while swapping stories. Good to catch up with these helpful guys. Its customary for visitors to go to the lady on the corner and buy drinks for the team from her blue coolbox. This done I moved on to the search for a waterproof.
9be916105634a24839a58c93374d6c68.jpg

During the search I visited an adventure biker shop and admired his xChallenge, but that's for another time. Still no waterproof jackets and I gave up and contacted Simon to see if he could get one in Joburg while hiring the bike. I had one other place to try and they blew dust of a rain suit, a few sizes too big, but I bought it and am now ready for the rain.

Heading out of town south is quite familiar to me. The bike was running well, helped by a flattering tail wind. The only wildlife early on were troops of baboons crossing the road. I stopped quite frequently, conscious of my exhausting day yesterday. Early on, there are towns conveniently about 90km apart. It did get quite hot though and I kept drinking regularly from my Camelback in my tank bag. I have learned the lesson about keeping hydrated but this time I'm trying to apply the lesson. We'll see.

The landscape doesn't change much, just as you go further south there seem to be less trees. The trees that are there, are frequently decorated by weaver bird nests, mostly on the west side of the tree, as the prevailing wind is from the east.

I pulled over for a break at a petrol station and parked in the shade. A guy approached and explained he was responsible for this parking area, clearly looking for a tip. He wasted most of his pitch while I had earplugs fitted, and once removed he was cleared off quickly. At this point a young lad came and spoke quietly to me. He said the other man tells lies and he is not a security man. He sat on corner of the shelter and chatted a bit while I eat some food from breakfast. I offered him a bread roll and he ate it readily. I asked him if he goes to school and he explained he goes Monday, Wednesday and Friday. He said he was a goalkeeper, and illustrated saving a penalty, as the photo below. Edwardo was a delight to meet and I wish him well. He brightened up my tiring afternoon.
df30cb89f3c82a6260afa0e4d6ffc1e8.jpg
405fde805241aedef8979c4a4470e3b8.jpg

As I neared the halfway point I notice a buildup of clouds ahead and as I got further down the road there was a shower to the left. Then I spotted the lightning, interesting! The shower didn't seem to be getting any closer and ahead seemed clear but I came across a patch of drying road and it looked as if the shower had passed by recently. Good to have waterproofs I thought.

As I got 200km from Keetmanshoop I came to a sign blocking the road and stating there were roadworks for the next 90 km and apologies. To the left of the sign was an apparent detour and I plunged into it. It was more sandy than Uwe's track, I plowed on for a bit and asked the workman if I can rejoin the road and they pointed at a ramp. I rejoined the road and then concluded I didn't need to wade my way through the sand, just wait for the stop sign to be removed, on the stop go system they were running. The bike and I got a little dusty in the unnecessary diversion. We'll, I was tired.
f3ef32aed718b9b392e73004f66e649e.jpg
6225f6e3311d6dd9c4e2a6b856846e74.jpg

After the delays of roadworks I opened the bike up a bit, which had a hit on fuel consumption. One result was the fuel light coming on 40km short of Keetmanshoop. In theory the remaining 2 litres should be enough to get me there, if I moderated my pace. However, I chose to top up with a 1 litre can and keep the pace up. Thus worked and I'm now in Keetmanshoop and heading to the SA border tomorrow. These are long days with not much sightseeing. Tomorrow is a similar distance and with a border crossing, but with an earlier start.

One last photo from today of some beautiful clouds.
58bdf4323792c1738c39cbe97b925e67.jpg

So while Jim was braving the heat of S Namibia, I was headed for Heathrow and my BA flight to Johannesburg last night.

My overnight transport:
33af7c4407db2f5ac78ca3b08bd3b13d.jpg

Apart from non functioning BA computer systems leading to massive queues, an absence of security staff (so more queues!) and a passenger falling ill just before we taxied, thus a wait for a medical diagnosis and then, poor chap, a wait for paramedics to get him off the plane (and presumably his luggage?) - apart from that, nothing to report and by noon today I was inspecting my 2 wheeled companion for the next month:

44e474096b7c280dfee4465ae5ab71d9.jpg

This after I had put on my Magadan soft panniers and Kriega soft bag and Enduristan crash bar bag. As you can see I have more than enough storage capacity as the Magadan inner bags are cavernous…I’ve barely covered the bottom of them.

The bike itself has done 36k kms but looks in good order and has a new chain and just been serviced. I have been issues with chain cleaner and chain lube, which together fit neatly into one of the Magadan external pockets.

I should mention that I slept quite well on the plane, having splashed out on an economy plus ticket. I contented myself with a zero beer but I was pleased to see the lady in front of me was making good use of the facilities!
17813ef93a24362854cb2221c19bc5d5.jpg

So now back at my Boksburg (JHB) guest house after an early supper for an early night before collecting the bike and related cross border papers in the morning and heading to Lesotho. Just heard from Jim (as I am sure we all will soon) that he made it successfully to Upington, SA so we are ‘on track’ for our Lesotho reunion on Saturday.

Bike looks good, all you need is some biltong in the tankbag and you're good to go. And once you're out of Jhb traffic it should be a grand ride, enjoy.

Well I can't get away with my shortest update, which was, I made it to Upington, because Simon has already said this.

Doing these trips and writing one of these reports can be conflictual. I enjoy this writing, and having interesting things to say, but when interesting things happen, they eat into the time you have for writing. This is particularly so when your riding to a deadline. The last 2 days are good examples.

Today started well and I got away in reasonable time, so that the 2 hour ride to Rundu was done in much cooler temperatures than yesterday. I was at the filling station, about to leave when to riders rocked up. Jurgen and his female partner from Germany were doing a tour of Namibia. We swopped stories, and went our separate ways.
0b735e465518c5d85e7377405cdc0fd8.jpg

Back
Top Bottom