Gaels in Mozambique.

Drumacoon Lad.

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
The Gaels dream team will be riding in Africa again this year. The destination this is Mozambique. Many of you will realise Mozambique is on the other side of Africa from Namibia, where my XT250 is stored. In fact its 2,167km away, but I'm meeting Simon in Lesotho, so it'll be a bit further and of course I'll be riding the bike back to Namibia afterwards. We plan to visit Lesotho and Eswatini en route to Mozambique and then spend a couple of weeks in the ex Portuguese colony, mainly along the coast.

I hadn't planned to go back again this year but the prospect of riding again with Simon and to a new country for me, was too tempting and November fits both our diaries. I'll leave Simon to cover the various options he investigated, before choosing how and where he was going to find a bike to ride, but he has got one and that's all that matters

It was simpler for me, even if I was going to have a long ride across southern Africa. First I had to contact the gentleman who stores my bike and arrange for it to be made ready. He'll carry out an oil and filter change and give it a general check over. I believe the tyres should last the trip and hopefully nothing else major is needed. The bike is stored near the airport and I'll be picked up on arrival and hope to ride away that same day. This is the first time I've collected this bike from storage, so it will be interesting to see how it all works, both for the bike and for me.

I left my riding gear, tools and spares with the bike, so shouldn't have to take too much down with me. At least not the 2 x 25kg cases I took last time. When I left the bike into store in February, I also remembered to lay out the tools and equipment that were staying with the bike and took photos. I got caught out the first time I stored my little Suzuki, without noting what I'd left with it and 6 months later couldn't clearly remember what was with the bike. I think that's why I ended up with 3 swiss army knives on that trip, much to Simon's amusement. The Namibian climate is very dry, so I hope everything has survived well after the 8 months of storage.

My starting point is of course Windhoek and the outgoing route will be to ride directly south. I'm very familiar with this route so hope to make good time. I'll then enter South Africa and traverse east through Upington, Kimberly and Bloemfontein. This is a part of SA I'm not familiar with, so looking forward to breaking new ground. There won't be time for sightseeing though, as these will be long days in the saddle, because I aim to hook up with Simon in Lesotho, four days after leaving Windhoek. I'm delighted at the chance of visiting Lesotho again. Its a delightful place were horses and and donkeys are still widely used as transport.

In my earlier travels in southern Africa I considered visiting Mozambique but there were stories about problems at borders, corrupt police and of course terrorism in the North. That combination was enough to persuade me to travel via Zambia and Malawi on my way to Tanzania. Some of these issue are still true about Mozambique but there is a lot more information available to prepare in advance and I'm not travelling on my own.

One good source of information is the DriveMoz section on Facebook which is run by South Africans. Many South Africans visit Mozambique, particularly in their summer and the DriveMoz information is targeted at them. I don't think its unfair to say that some South Africans are nervous about venturing outside their borders and this is reflected in the concerns raised in DriveMoz. However DriveMoz is a good source of information and has been helpful to us in planning and preparing for this trip.

It seems clear that your documentation needs to be correct and comprehensive, both at the border and if stopped by the police on the road. For the vehicle this means registration papers, 3rd party insurance etc. For the visa, copies of our passports, proof of accommodation in Mozambique, a copy of our bank accounts and proof of your return flight etc. Vaccination papers are needed showing full covid jabs and also yellow fever certificates. This is not meant to be a comprehensive list but gives you a flavour of how thorough the police and customs can be. We'll see how the reality compares when we get there. What we'll also learned is that speed limits are closely policed. One useful facility DriveMoz offers, is to have Mozambique phone SIMs available to us in SA and these are ready for us to collect before going to the border.

Not long now before we leave and it's getting exciting. Looking forward to seeing how the little XT250 has faired during its time in storage.

bc016da088a0761cd65e0ef2ba7cb1b7.jpg

Sent from my SM-G991B using Tapatalk

Jim had tempted me with talk of bikes for sale in Namibia….here’s pictures of some that I looked at, and in some cases had checked by a trusted local mechanic
4fd0ac5d6485ff5569ed09dbfc8e0a74.jpg

The first, temptingly priced xt660, turned out to be a complete basket case and I ran a mile!

The second 660 was in pretty good condition and the owner, Ian, and I had a videoconference to discuss it. It had been serviced by the same trusted mechanic and came with luggage. Will try to find a photo…Ian’s intro was promising
cb3f4c259f2e400383a72cc5a4170dea.jpeg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Here’s a picture of it…although the panniers are renowned to be crap, nonetheless it looked a great deal at around £3,250.
277601a06546b1c625e4e7f311e76e63.jpg

However the picture got complicated because Tommy the Yamaha guy also recommended an ‘as new’ 660 (2013) with a really low mileage (3,500!) which had been totally babied. However its owner, when I spoke to him, was equivocal about whether he really was ready to sell the bike (he had said was for sale).

So followed a week of to and fro, with the owner of the 2013 low mileage bike alternating between yes, maybe, no (although I offered him the 80,000 ZAR asking price).
e47a172c7c623fedde10ca24e56f5108.jpg

Not the best photo but an immaculate 2013 bike.

Finally I gave up on him selling and instead offered on the 2011, 30,000 mile bike and we agreed a deal!

A couple of days later, after a period of the seller not being contactable, I received an apologetic voice message that he could no longer sell the bike as ‘something had come up’.

So now I felt I was in ‘last chance saloon’ as far as a Namibia bike was concerned. Then the reluctant seller of the 2013 660 told me his neighbour was selling a bike.

Turned out to be a Suzuki DR650 with only 600 kms on the clock! A great old school carbed bike (NA in Europe for emissions reasons) which had belonged to his neighbours late brother.

Catalogue picture

98f25f9359ff36df4ca2139318472f69.jpg

Just run in
7c7666a7cd9719b629a7e94943670327.jpg

It was up for £2,750 and had been recently serviced by Yamaha Windhoek. Looked ideal for African travel as it was light and simple, albeit small (and a bit thirsty).

So Sandra and I had a pleasant videoconference where we agreed the deal, that the seat would be re stuffed to standard height (she was not tall) and a new battery fitted and that she would keep the bike in her garage and insured by her until I arrived to register it in my name and insure it, preparatory to Jim and me riding east to Moz.

This done, I idly went back to the Ethiopian Airways webpage to check flights to Windhoek and found the fares had gone up 30% in the last 10 days, to around the £800 mark!

This got me thinking about whether my initial strategy (to buy a bike in Nam rather than hire in S Africa) still made sense.

I will be following this thread, with interest Jim and it was good to meet you and Simon last month, in Ireland

Good choice on the DR650 Simon, I have two, owned for 19 and 2 years so far.

PM me if you want any info on maintenance and accessories.

Good choice on the DR650 Simon, I have two, owned for 19 and 2 years so far.

PM me if you want any info on maintenance and accessories.

Thanks Mike but wait for the next instalment

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Safe travels Gents look forward to the trip reports .
Sheep dodging Frank

The strategy had been to buy a bike in Nam for about twice the price of the rental so I would have a’go to’ bike in Southern Africa. But as the price of bikes drifted upwards, and the price of a flight to Namibia rose more dramatically, I began to question this - especially as the DR650 would be very difficult to re register in UK and perhaps not what I wanted for future 2 up African trips.

In the meantime I identified a well reviewed bike travel firm in Johannesburg (cheaper to fly to) who would provide a BMW 800 GS with top box and GPS, insurance (including Moz) and travel papers for 25 days for about half the purchase cost of a bike I’d need to check out, insure, find storage for etc etc.

And so pages of calculation were ripped up
17444f7ce9075d0313afcc5996283cb3.jpg

I decided that a fly in and fly out, with no fixed tie to remote Namibia, was the better course of action!

And so the plan v 2.0 was set

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I am in - before you even go anywhere

Excellent news Gentlemen.... A little something for those of us still chained to the desk to take our mind off the mind numbing drudgery of it all :)

It will however not be quite the same without the yellow peril... but we'll manage...

Looking forward to this :popcorn Have a safe journey the two of you. :beerjug:

Simon, you never fail to delight with your plans! As you know I have this 30+ year-old 'dream' of Cairo-CapeTown.....this plan of yours will have me chewing my arm off with envy!

Back
Top Bottom