RT1200 Rear wheel balance

Roymundo

Reaction score
Just fitted new rubber on my R 1200RT LC. How do you balance a rear wheel ? Can a car tyre garage do it? Or do I have to purchase some equipment?

Any car balancer can dynamically balance rear wheel of any shaft drive BMW since they put a hole through the centre of the hub

I phoned up a few local car tyre garages today, Kwik-fit and National Tyres.....both said they don't do motorcycle wheels, explaining that its just balancing I need doing and the 62mm hole in the wheel centre should fit a dynamic machine......so back to the drawing board.

Stafford Protyres changed tyres in May on the R1200RT that I had, not all depots do them though.

I phoned up a few local car tyre garages today, Kwik-fit and National Tyres.....both said they don't do motorcycle wheels, explaining that its just balancing I need doing and the 62mm hole in the wheel centre should fit a dynamic machine......so back to the drawing board.

Just noticed your location!

I can do it for you but it would be a static balance not dynamic

Drop me a message

Just fitted new rubber on my R 1200RT LC. How do you balance a rear wheel ? Can a car tyre garage do it? Or do I have to purchase some equipment?

Put the wheel on the bike, ride to a motorcycle tyre fitter or your nearest BMW dealer and have them balance it.....what's the issue dude??

I bought the abba adaptor for a static balancer and it works great .. thanks to advice on here...

I have now purchased a static balancer and the Abba adaptor for a static balancer. I have balanced both wheels on the RT and the small amount of vibration felt on the handle bar grips has now gone.
Also I have balanced both wheels on my S1000XR which had a judder on the front at speeds over 80mph......all is now judder free....So pleased with result, thanks for your advice.

I have now purchased a static balancer and the Abba adaptor for a static balancer. I have balanced both wheels on the RT and the small amount of vibration felt on the handle bar grips has now gone.
Also I have balanced both wheels on my S1000XR which had a judder on the front at speeds over 80mph......all is now judder free....So pleased with result, thanks for your advice.

Hi, just incase you don’t see my other reply, when using the adaptor on the rear wheel does your wheel spin out of true ?, I have the Abba stand and the same adaptor. I was horrified when I spun it up today!.

Hi, just incase you don’t see my other reply, when using the adaptor on the rear wheel does your wheel spin out of true ?, I have the Abba stand and the same adaptor. I was horrified when I spun it up today!.

Does it spin out of true on the bike?

When the wheel has the abba adaptor fitted and sat in my static balancer, yes the wheel spins out of true. How ever I tried to adjust the adaptor it spun out of true. I balanced the wheel and refitted it to the bike, it spins true on the bike. So why can't abba make an adaptor that holds the wheel true? Does it make any diffference when balancing a wheel?

My abba adaptor spins true from my experience... I'm sure you can speak to them to ask questions if there's a problem...

Back
Top Bottom