GPS for HVGs

er-minio

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Asking for advice, on behalf of a good friend.

He's recently got his license and he is going to work for a big shipping company. He'll operate GB only.
He will have to buy his own GPS. He asked me if TomTom or Garmin.
I have near zero knowledge of GPS devices for trucks. I would have suggested to go for Garmin over TomTom, but given the situation with BaseCamp being discontinued (on normal consumer automotive devices) and being left without official software... I'm not sure if that is the same thing/problem on HGV units? I honestly don't know if much planning is involved before inputting the destination.

He prefers to have a dedicated GPS unit. He will also use a (paid) app as a backup on his iPhone/small laptop.

thanks

He's recently got his license and he is going to work for a big shipping company. He'll operate GB only.
I have near zero knowledge of GPS devices for trucks. I would have suggested to go for Garmin over TomTom, but given the situation with BaseCamp being discontinued (on normal consumer automotive devices) and being left without official software... I'm not sure if that is the same thing/problem on HGV units? I honestly don't know if much planning is involved before inputting the destination.

He prefers to have a dedicated GPS unit. He will also use a (paid) app as a backup on his iPhone/small laptop.

thanks

Google maps and a truckers map with all the low bridges on;; if in doubt; stick to the main trunk routes for the area it wont swallow that much more time;:okay

I use my Garmin Camper in my artic. You can put your vehicles height, width, length, and weight into it so shouldn’t have any problems. Obviously NEVER fully rely on a sat nav to not get you into trouble. Common sense and checking your possible route (s) BEFORE you turn a wheel is always the best thing. Google maps is also a great tool to double check bridge heights ( with street view ),width restrictions and weight restrictions. Regularly updating the sat navy’s software is always a good thing with the ever changing restrictions.

thanks

Tell him to buy a truckers atlas, I used one for years without any problems, I suppose things are different now, a gear lever in a Lorry is a rarity, and as for an Eaton twin splitter, that’d throw the cat amongst the pidgeons , its not something you get at a McDonalds��

I use the same GPS unit as Udders but in my 7.9m motorhome, not an HGV.

It is, as he says, excellent. I am confident that Udders will be correct when he says it works well in an HGV, too. Why? He owns a pretty big motorhome and drives an HGV, so he should know.

PS The rest of Udders’ advice is spot-on, too.

At work our vehicles had a mixture of TomTom and Garmin units, purely on longevity the Garmin units twice as long .

Back
Top Bottom