The road less travelled

Wapping

Reaction score
Late’ish yesterday afternoon I was in St Neots, wanting to go to roughly Sawbridgeworth. Going direct is not the most stimulating of journeys, so I went ‘cross-country’ instead. I wasn’t disappointed.

Here is a copy of the route. Note, I made it from the track, created by the BMW Connected app, which I was also experimenting with. As such it might have a couple of glitches in it but it’s probably not too bad.

The route takes some very small roads, not much more than a car wide in some places, with broken surfaces. I rode it after Friday heavy overnight rain, the roads were sometimes still wet, with autumn leaves and gravel, washed from the fields. But, as I was riding a 1600, you could definitely ride it all on a GS. In fact, it is near enough made for it.

Stretches of the route are almost like the Ardennes, with open stretches, then small sunken lanes. So much so it is sometimes hard to remember that you are within spitting distance of London and riding in one of the most crowded areas of the UK. In short, it is ‘very rural’.

https://www.myrouteapp.com/en/social/route/6756489?mode=share

78fa54e8e43e0f323640ce7cdf54bf95.jpg

f22df3a8661ee38873a7b1d586437822.png

f0ad6ea515dc8f58df8b08e1f9a9a5a9.png

Bar the pictures of the geese, I lifted the screen shots from MyRoute’s excellent ability to display Google Street View but they should give you a pretty good idea of what it’s was like.

6d7837105819525ba8f96edcc4e182af.png

9842cddc8f6eacb9ad0dcd79846871b3.png

3f3b6d106ed0324aa19ffb057eecbdd8.png

3ee62f39131eacc7975ec3d34df62b18.png

73fc0c95e337f7c30422c545e86b2798.png

cae1b03d3ce6d16f8b3cb0c08834be3c.png

PS People moan about Google but their Street View mapping of much of the world is, I believe, on of the great ‘free gifts’ of the 21st century. These are sometimes very small roads. To be able to see them and share the pictures, laid upon a GPX track is quite incredible.

Thanks, JB.

46 miles, of almost zero traffic. It passes through some strange little villages, not much more than hamlets sometimes. Less hilly than the Ardennes of course but not dissimilar, with some surprising steep bits sometimes. Some of the roads were quite ‘technical’ (if that’s not too grand a word) especially as it was getting dark towards the end, with enough to keep you on your toes if you are not to drop a 1600 on its side. It was fun riding the big bike along.

Thanks, JB.

46 miles, of almost zero traffic. It passes through some strange little villages, not much more than hamlets sometimes. Less hilly than the Ardennes of course but not dissimilar, with some surprising steep bits sometimes. Some of the roads were quite ‘technical’ (if that’s not too grand a word) especially as it was getting dark towards the end, with enough to keep you on your toes if you are not to drop a 1600 on its side. It was fun riding the big bike along.

Sounds a top ride

We do a lot of that up here, too and find all the smallest roads, some of views are stunning

2gses is a master at finding good routes

In parts of Lincolnshire around Louth you could swear you are in rural Picardy, on a summer’s day

I did something similar, riding ‘cross-country’ from London to Chelmsford. Once I was out of north east London, I saw places which I never knew existed, taking un-adopted but public roads through farmland. That was last November, again after heavy rain, with some flooding. The only weather I’d hesitate doing it on, on my own, would be a deep freeze or snow. I think you could hurt yourself, should you tumble off. Whilst you are really not that far from the M25 and the main trunk roads, there is no passing traffic to speak of and it’s no fun pushing with a broken arm or leg….. and we are not getting any younger!

I’m thinking that I might do a few more of these sort of rides, through what remains of the autumn, into the winter months (excluding snow and ice) and on to next spring. Ride ‘cross-country’ say 80 or 100 miles out from the M25. Then return on a more direct route to central London. There is bound to be something of interest to see and probably a nice pub or two, which is always a bonus.

The trick, as I did yesterday, is to make the ‘cross-country’ bit different to just hitting the B roads, most of which (particularly those to the north and east of London) I have ridden 100’s of times. In other words, fill in the bits between the B roads. My Himalayan is all but made for it.

Whilst Essex and Hertfordshire haven’t gone quite so mad as Oxford and Warwickshire with the 50 mile limits, I think it’s only a matter of time, so you have to find alternatives and make it interesting. In a way, it’s like ‘doing’ the Black Forest, whilst avoiding the B500….. and it’s closer!

Richard your stumbled upon my MO.

Kurviger produces some excellent routes like this, and I’ve travelled tiny lanes in Oxfordshire, Wiltshire and Hampshire(green grass up the middle usually) that I would never have found after 30 years of living in the SE.

Some great roads out there if you’re patient to explore.

Thank you.

Patience and a bit of imagination, holds the key.

Now that I think about it, I have done similar things in northern France. Why I had never really thought about it here at home is a mystery.

The idea behind this kind of ride is to never want to be anywhere in a hurry; i use my Gs for these kind of rides around the peaks; spending as much time looking sideways and around me as i do looking forewards; i've never used maps or google maps to do it tho; big respect fo using a 1600;:beerjug:

Unfortunatey many of these excellent routes are now being discovered by drivers using sat navs. Previously we had them to ourselves riding push bikes. The more popular ones have become rat runs and the domain of small vans in rush hour times.

A recent problem now is that those responsible are not keeping the hedges and verges in check and the sight lines have become more restricted.

I’m thinking that I might do a few more of these sort of rides, through what remains of the autumn, into the winter months (excluding snow and ice) and on to next spring. Ride ‘cross-country’ say 80 or 100 miles out from the M25. Then return on a more direct route to central London. There is bound to be something of interest to see and probably a nice pub or two, which is always a bonus.

The trick, as I did yesterday, is to make the ‘cross-country’ bit different to just hitting the B roads, most of which (particularly those to the north and east of London) I have ridden 100’s of times. In other words, fill in the bits between the B roads. My Himalayan is all but made for it.

Whilst Essex and Hertfordshire haven’t gone quite so mad as Oxford and Warwickshire with the 50 mile limits, I think it’s only a matter of time, so you have to find alternatives and make it interesting. In a way, it’s like ‘doing’ the Black Forest, whilst avoiding the B500….. and it’s closer!

Richard, I’d be up for tagging along on your next “C” road exploring, if you wouldn’t mind……..

All this blatting at high speeds on trunk roads is great, but soon does wear a bit thin… yesterdays jaunt averaging mere 39mph, has proven to me, that one does not need to break a sound barrier, to have a jolly good time.

A recent problem now is that those responsible are not keeping the hedges and verges in check and the sight lines have become more restricted.

That was my complaint, when wife an I returned from France in September and had to navigate country roads/lanes from Portsmouth. Hedges and the likes on the continent seem to be mandatory to be set back by at least 4’ from the road edge and guess wedges manicured as if a round of cricket was to be played in the next 20 minutes. Here it seem, nobody gives a toss. And then when they do, the mess they leave on the road/foot paths……

Good one and there are some excellent roads off the beaten track in the uk

Unfortunatey many of these excellent routes are now being discovered by drivers using sat navs. Previously we had them to ourselves riding push bikes.

Yes.
Since I got the 400, I starter traveling from/to London to the greenlanes starting points using the "avoid major roads" settings on my GPS. That, paired with a bike that does very low speed (and knobbly tires) makes for some very interesting and pleasant discoveries.
A new way (for me) to enjoy motorised 2 wheels.

Richard, I’d be up for tagging along on your next “C” road exploring, if you wouldn’t mind……..

All this blatting at high speeds on trunk roads is great, but soon does wear a bit thin… yesterdays jaunt averaging mere 39mph, has proven to me, that one does not need to break a sound barrier, to have a jolly good time.

That’d be good.

I am away quite a lot for a while but will drop you a PM in good time to see whether you can join me. Maybe we could start by riding the route I have done already, but in reverse, ending up in St Neots?

Richard

That’d be good.

I am away quite a lot for a while but will drop you a PM in good time to see whether you can join me. Maybe we could start by riding the route I have done already, but in reverse, ending up in St Neots?

Richard

Sounds awesome Richard, as young kids would say… you have my number…

Interesting Route Richard and very familiar living in Royston, there’s some nice roads around Ashwell too. I ride it in reverse until Potton and then cut across towards the north of Bedford onto the B660 towards Kimbolton then all the way to Ramsey St Mary. Beware the speed cameras though.

Interesting Route Richard and very familiar living in Royston, there’s some nice roads around Ashwell too. I ride it in reverse until Potton and then cut across towards the north of Bedford onto the B660 towards Kimbolton then all the way to Ramsey St Mary. Beware the speed cameras though.

B660 is a cracker, but is it me, or did 40-50mph limit, become a new thing? I was there, on a Bedford-Kimbolton section just a few weeks ago.

Yes annoying speed limits in some places and it’s a well Policed road. It’s also a favourite route of the reporters from ABR magazine amongst others.

Richard, if you guys go for a "slow day out", I might tag along as well if you'd have me around :D

Back
Top Bottom