Winter Undergarments?

Santa-2512

Omnipotent one
UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Not talking undies or knickers lol

what do you wear under your regular gear, now that the winter is approaching

I normally wear just a pair of jeans and the padded inner liner for my textiles, which generally suffice,

But is a bit bulky, and i find that the jeans bunch up and then start causing pressure problems behind the knees

I' looking at getting some heated base layers, but a quick try with outer, inner, Jeans and base layer, makes me look like

something on a moonshot , and is really bulky

I did consider, not wearing the jeans, but know sure if that will loose me a valuable heat layer

whats your preferred options ?

I wear merino base layers all year - wick sweat in heat, keep you warm in winter
I prefer to wear a fleece under my jacket rather than the jacket liner. Doubles as a casual jacket to wear at lunchtime if commuting.
If very cold, I have Keis heated gear - a waistcoat and heated insoles - see the other thread about heated gear for testimonials
Bar muffs go on once we start getting frosts. Ised with heated grips. I like to arrive at work with warm hands and dry gloves. Nothing worse than riding home with cold, damp gloves.

I've ridden down to about -5C with the above but not recently as I get more nesh as I get older and have largely given up with that commuting malarkey.

Never, ever jeans. Bulky uncomfortable seams and cotton isn't a good insulator, is cold when wet and dries very slowly.

In fact, never cotton at all on the bike, except in very hot climates when you can soak it in water before you ride.

Merino wool, silk or good synthetic base layers. I favour Patagonia for the synthetics.

I have merino base layers, i tend to wear the top more than the bottoms

so looks like the jeans are out.

was thinking of getting the muffs back on the bike for winter

I've just sent the heated socks back, in the size they quoted, i'd be bloody Barbie lol

Merino base layers.

Icebreaker are very good. I wear them underneath Rokker Revolution waterproof jeans most of the time - but under Rukka Nivala pants if the weather is going to be really bad. Interestingly, the Rukka Nivala pants came with down liners, but I have only ever worn them a few times - and then only to experiment. The merino leggings are pretty much good enough for any British weather.

Merino base layers are superb - love Icebreaker, not cheap but really last. If getting very cold or long trips in cold, consider heated gear - my go to is keis - I have a jacket and waste coat dependant onw hat I need and also have a pair of their heated trousers that also work a treat. Just a point - take care ordering - the sizing team at Keis regularly take drugs before deciding on sizing tables / charts.

As soon as I buy a new fabric riding suit, I take the separate liners out. They do not go back in.

Beneath the jacket and trousers of my riding suit, I use:

(A) In summer / any time of year that I think I’ll definitely be warm enough

A simple Merino T-shirt.

(B) In summer / any time of year that I’m not sure that I’ll definitely be warm enough

I substitute a long sleeved Merino top to for the T-shirt. I’ll also maybe have a thin fleece or EDZ thin top, so I can layer up, if necessary.

C. In winter / any time of year that I know I will not be warm enough

Long sleeved Merino top and Merino leggings, plus my electric heated clothing (see your parallel thread).

Possible variations include

I do have two choices of fabric riding suit. One, the traditional waterproof suit, the other a non-waterproof mesh suit. I also have a leather, two piece, riding suit. When wearing the non-waterproof and / or leather clothing, I will take a waterproof cover along with me, if I think it might rain at some point.

If I think it is going to be very hot, I might well wear a very thin Merino base layer, under my jacket and trousers. This is to act as a wicking layer. I definitely do this if I am wearing my leathers.

I do wear Merino underpants and socks, simply as they can be easily washed and then dried.

I also have a one piece fabric oversuit. This I use only when I take my bike to Battersea for servicing, putting it on over the top of my office suit, shirt and tie. I will also wear it, over the top of conventional casual clothes, if I am going to see someone socially to spend the day out. Or I’ll just go in the car.

I also have one pair of fabric waterproof ‘motorcycling’ jeans, that I might wear from time to time, if I feel like it. I don’t wear them under anything. I do not wear them touring, as they often get splattered by bugs and are difficult to wash / dry when away. By day 10, they are probably a bio-hazard.

In short, I have a varied combination of clothing. Mix-and-match and layering, is the way to go. It cost some cash to assemble the lot but, as it has all been looked after, it has served me well for many years. For example, if I notice that a Merino sock has a small hole in it, I’ll get it darned. This simple action extends its life. I would guess that my thin, very simple, Spidi waterproof jacket is over 30 years old. It still works very well. That I can, if I want to, also wear it over my mesh jacket on a cool spring or autumn’s morning or evening ride from home to the Chunnel, is of course a bonus.

In other words, don’t be prescriptive, be flexible. Find what combination (or combinations *) works for YOU and stick to it.

* Pun intended.

merion wool stuff from base layer.co.uk usually end of lines - who sees it

i try not to buy anything that has motorcycle in the product discription or is supplied with a motorcycle clothing brand label as it tends to be more £ for the same product

As others have said - Merino.
I wear the leggings all year round, adding liners to a Goretex suit in Winter, this for me is sufficient for the bottom half.
For the upper half, I tend to wear polo shirts all year round, adding a long sleeved Merino vest as the weather turns colder, adding layers such as a Rohan micro-fleece, and the jacket liner as it gets colder still. When really cold I use an old Widder heated jacket instead of the micro-fleece.

I agree with the comments on Icebreaker Merino base layers, excellent kit, they make them in various weights so you can use heavier ones in Winter. I tend to stick with a mid-weight that can be used all year round if required.

I have considered getting one of the duck down/feather jackets sold by Rukka and Klim to replace the jacket liner. They are expensive, but are reported to be very good, I believe you can reduce your layers with these, i.e. not only doing away with the jacket liner, but also, in my case, the micro-fleece and heated jacket, resulting in less bulk and weight.

EDZ base layers , superb will wash out and quick dry overnight as will their lightweight fleece . With the rukka suit hardly need the winter liner.Used for a couple of cross the USA two week trips kept the packing minimal . With only off the bike casual gear needed. They are wicking and work hot or cold.

do let us know how you get on as i saw the advert in a bike mag and just wasn't sure as i'd not seen the product elesewhere or any reviews

though just now its as warm as spring/summer

It is great quality and the company were brilliant when I had to return for a larger size. I did purchase the cool skin one as well and used in Europe this year when temps hit high 30*. Very impressed with it, as you pull it on the material feels cool immediately. Really worked so if the warm stuff is as good it should be brilliant. Just need temp to drop to try it

I just wear a basic TOG24 sports base layer all year round not motorcycle market specific so not costing a fortune, light soft and comfortable most of the time and wicks sweat away when its warm. I wear an additional thicker TOG24 thermal top layer for if it gets colder, never let me down.

I put a Sargent heated seat on the new GSA and now I'm smitten with it, I'm seriously thinking of adding a heater pad to the seat of my Tmax (my daily commuter) for added comfort this winter.

I wear Draggin' jeans with a pair of synthetic thermal 'Longjohns' beneath (and my Tucano Urbano Shytebag over the legs/torso) but I'm changing to my BMW textile trousers tomorrow with liners in as its meant to be shit weather from here on in.

Hands are kept warm and dry in summer gloves all year by Oxford heated grips and muffs.

5 x warmer than a standard base layer apparently. Bought one but not yet tried in anger.

https://zerofit.co.uk/pages/activity-guide

I tried mine out the other day under a Klim Marrakesh suit, temps were about 7c.

It was comfortable and warm from the moment you put it on, no problem at all riding the bike, however when I got home I mowed the lawn and ended up sweating like a stuck pig!

I washed it through the machine @ 20c as recommended, it retained its shape and dried quickly. Pretty impressive piece of kit, enough that I’ll buy the cool version for the Europe tour next year.

Back
Top Bottom