Signal strength app for iPhone, MacBook or iPad.

steveC

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
I will be shortly be replacing my sky router/modem with a supposedly superior one.

I would like to test the signal strength in various locations around the house before I swop over. This would give me an indication as too wether the superior equipment is just that.

The app would be installed on an android phone, iPhone, iPad or a MacBook.

Any recommendations. I've got a speed test app but cannot seem to find a decent signal strength one in the App Store.

Steve

iStumbler used to be the weapon of choice back in the day.

The IStumbler web site I visited said an update of the OS caused the IStumbler app to crash. It was no longer available.

When I worked the IT guys had an app on their phone which showed signal strength. It was a free download and worked a treat. You could locate the nearest router and position yourself for the best signal.

But I am talking a few years ago. Yep probably 10 years.

Any more suggestions on a signal strength app most welcome.

Steve

On a MacBook, hold down the Option key and click on the wifi icon in the menu bar at top right. It will give you detailed statistics for the wifi node you are currently connected to, including RSSI, noise level and TX rate.

On a MacBook, hold down the Option key and click on the wifi icon in the menu bar at top right. It will give you detailed statistics for the wifi node you are currently connected to, including RSSI, noise level and TX rate.

Thanks. I take it you mean the alt key on a UK Mac? Now currently creating a diagnostic report on my ethernet connection that way.

Thanks, that works a treat. Just the data I was looking for. So much better than a third party app.

Found this link which explains the info you see https://eyenetworks.no/en/wifi-signal-strength/

Thanks. I take it you mean the alt key on a UK Mac? Now currently creating a diagnostic report on my ethernet connection that way.

Kind of. My UK MacBook key says "option" on it - along with the little squiggly line symbol thing. But yes, it did used to be labelled ALT on older Mac keyboards. I think they stopped doing that around 2017.

Kind of. My UK MacBook key says "option" on it - along with the little squiggly line symbol thing. But yes, it did used to be labelled ALT on older Mac keyboards. I think they stopped doing that around 2017.

Ahh, problem solved. I'm using full size USB keyboards with my two iMacs, rather than the skinny little Bluetooth ones they supply nowadays. The new USB ones do indeed say option.

While I'm here, I see I'm being offered a new OS in the form of Ventura 13.0 as well as the option to upgrade to Monterey 12.6.1. No information available, as yet, on any new content in Ventura.

But yes, it did used to be labelled ALT on older Mac keyboards. I think they stopped doing that around 2017.

Yep. Apple slowly started "standardising" their keyboards many years ago.
There was a revolt when the Apple symbol went too... :D

Ahh, problem solved. I'm using full size USB keyboards with my two iMacs, rather than the skinny little Bluetooth ones they supply nowadays. The new USB ones do indeed say option.

While I'm here, I see I'm being offered a new OS in the form of Ventura 13.0 as well as the option to upgrade to Monterey 12.6.1. No information available, as yet, on any new content in Ventura.

https://www.apple.com/uk/macos/ventura/features/

I updated to Ventura 13.0 the other day Mike .... it seems to have slowed everything down :blast

:beerjug:

Back
Top Bottom