G650GS Electrical Issue

austieman

Reaction score
Hi All,

First time poster, I'm hoping someone on here my be able to shed some light on an issue with my bike.
I have a 2011 BMW G650GS, with an electrical issue that I'm struggling to resolve. Fuse #6 keeps blowing but only if I try and start the bike, but is completely unaffected by turning the ignition.
From what I can discern, fuse 6 covers the following: Instrument Panel, Turn Indicators, Hazard Warning Flashers, Brake Light, Optional Accessories. From trying to resolve the issue I can tell that the optional accessories include the immobiliser, which is linked to the fuel pump.
I have tried swapping out the fuse, then turning on the ignition and the dash comes on. Then I disable the immobiliser and the fuel pump primes the engine, and I hit the starter. The engine turns over but the bike doesn't start and when I release the starter button the dash goes blank and the fuse is blown.
What I suspect is happening is that the immobiliser is faulty, and that on starting the engine it is re-arming, turning off the fuel pump and at the same time blowing the fuse. The assumption I am making of course are that the fuel pump is connected to fuse 1 which covers engine electronics.

Does anyone have any knowledge on this bike that they are able to share? information on the internet is scarce and I can't seem to find a wiring diagram anywhere.

Thanks in advance!

Check you subframe bolts . Where it bolts to mainframe. Mine came loose and the moving rearframe chaffed the feed to rear brakelight from front hand lever.

Hthy

I'm curious about this immobiliser, make/fitment detail & why it doesn't get disabled first when starting the bike. Is it powered from fuse 6? Can you point me in the right direction?

These bikes are known for wire chaffing faults & decompressor problems, but here I am also wondering about the load relief relay as well as battery condition.

Have you got access to a GS911 or similar?

I dont have a 911
Mine blew when I pulled the brake on
Read up on the immobiliser in manual and disarm it to get that out of the problem solving

Back
Top Bottom