Michelin Road 6 - never again

I have MICH 6 on my KTM 1290 sas there bloody terrible im part deaf but can hear them whining and the grip is now where on the slightest nuance in the road, For what its worth I think they perform far better in the wet and cold than they do in the dry. I will be going back to Conti Trail attack 3s ASAP.

+1 for conti road attack my gs you spark the pegs all day long, only starts to weave at 130 on the autobahn but so does everything else

I'm also completely lost as in last 10 years I always used Michelin Road series and have never had a single issue. I have no ideia what causes swerving of the rear of the bike.
When you let go your handlebars, does your bike push left like mine or it goes straight? Can you please check that?

I have and love Road 6s and yes, if I let go, my bike leans left. I think that is more to do with a torque reaction to the driveshaft rather than tyres.

I have and love Road 6s and yes, if I let go, my bike leans left. I think that is more to do with a torque reaction to the driveshaft rather than tyres.

My bike wasn't doing that with Anakee's that came on the bike from factory. It started the day I changed to Road 6.

Concur with Shakey, my old GS would turn left with the new road 6 with hands off the bars, had to lean to right to go straight. Never happened with the old A41's

Continental trail attack 3

Just fit the:, and forget your problems. I know it’ll cost, but how much it your life worth

I had that problem with conti trail atack III and Pirelli scorpions, both times was a problem with the front tire.
Have a friend that had that problem with conti trail atack, he changed tires 3 times and all 3 sets of tires come with the problem. He does not use continental tires because of that, he uses pirelli, but i also had that problem with pirelli.
So change the tires, if you feel that the problem is there, change them again. I think the problem is they were made wrong, for some reason, don't know...
All the times, i have had that problem its been the front tire that came bad, don´t know if it is factory problem, the way it was transported or stocked.
It should be the shop where we go and buy the tires that should change them if they come with a problem, i know that most of the time this is not the case. So it's a good way to go, and call michelin and complain.

2 months ago I took off my Michelin Anakee's that came with the bike (new). I liked those tyres but just couldn't stand the noise from the front. So, decided to go with model I liked a lot. On my previous bikes I always used Michelin Road (Pilot) 2, 3, 4 and 5. So, as I was always happy with them, I've chosen Michelin Road 6.
The first impession was great. On the way out of the garage that installed them, the front was dead quiet. It felt so good. Few days later, on the highway, I went over 150 km/h (93mph) and the rear started to "dance". It was swerving left-right-left. I lowered the speed and it was OK. I went up again and the swerving started again. I've got even more speed and it was still there. So I went to different highway with newer surface. Still the same... Tried 3rd highway, different surface again, still the same. I was not happy. At that point I thought that tyres were new and needed some time, as previous models of that tyre were always great on my bikes.
2-3 days later, just out of fun, I let go my handlebars and bike violently swerved left. Tried few times on different speeds, it was still turning left... a lot. Went back to the dealer that installed those tyres and he did all the procedure of front fork alignment . It was just a bit better but not solved and still dangerous.
Now, 2 months later and 1500 miles more, nothing has changed. All the problems are still there.
I researched through the hundreds of forums for different bikes and many riders encountered the same problems with Road 6 on their bikes (non BMW). They say it's not bad batch. The tyre is wrong.
I am shocked. Those tyres were expensive and I could sware in the previous models quality.
What the hell is this??????
So, I'll keep them through the winter and look for new tyres in the spring. I will have to research for the best 100% pavement tyre for my bike. I want good grip and I don't care about durability as sticky tyres don't last long and those are that I want.
On the original tyres, I had none of the problems described above.
Hard earned money thrown away.

The only time I’ve had problems like this it was due to the tyres being fitted the wrong way round.

2 months ago I took off my Michelin Anakee's that came with the bike (new). I liked those tyres but just couldn't stand the noise from the front. So, decided to go with model I liked a lot. On my previous bikes I always used Michelin Road (Pilot) 2, 3, 4 and 5. So, as I was always happy with them, I've chosen Michelin Road 6.
The first impession was great. On the way out of the garage that installed them, the front was dead quiet. It felt so good. Few days later, on the highway, I went over 150 km/h (93mph) and the rear started to "dance". It was swerving left-right-left. I lowered the speed and it was OK. I went up again and the swerving started again. I've got even more speed and it was still there. So I went to different highway with newer surface. Still the same... Tried 3rd highway, different surface again, still the same. I was not happy. At that point I thought that tyres were new and needed some time, as previous models of that tyre were always great on my bikes.
2-3 days later, just out of fun, I let go my handlebars and bike violently swerved left. Tried few times on different speeds, it was still turning left... a lot. Went back to the dealer that installed those tyres and he did all the procedure of front fork alignment . It was just a bit better but not solved and still dangerous.
Now, 2 months later and 1500 miles more, nothing has changed. All the problems are still there.
I researched through the hundreds of forums for different bikes and many riders encountered the same problems with Road 6 on their bikes (non BMW). They say it's not bad batch. The tyre is wrong.
I am shocked. Those tyres were expensive and I could sware in the previous models quality.
What the hell is this??????
So, I'll keep them through the winter and look for new tyres in the spring. I will have to research for the best 100% pavement tyre for my bike. I want good grip and I don't care about durability as sticky tyres don't last long and those are that I want.
On the original tyres, I had none of the problems described above.
Hard earned money thrown away.

I had new Michelin Road 6 tyres fitted to my R1250GSA yesterday (replacing the excellent Dunlop Mutants that were fitted 6 months ago).
Today I've had a hoon around the Yorkshire Dales (about 200 miles) and the tyres performed excellently in wet, extremely wet, and dry conditions (had all weather today except snow and ice ;) ).
None of the issues you experienced were exhibited.

It is not unknown for the carcass of tyres to have faults during manufacture, I would suggest you do as others have suggested and contact the manufacturer.
However, before contacting them, and I'm sure you have probably already done this, but have you checked the tyres have been fitted correctly, i.e. the direction arrows match those on the wheel?

I had that problem with conti trail atack III and Pirelli scorpions, both times was a problem with the front tire.
Have a friend that had that problem with conti trail atack, he changed tires 3 times and all 3 sets of tires come with the problem. He does not use continental tires because of that, he uses pirelli, but i also had that problem with pirelli.
So change the tires, if you feel that the problem is there, change them again. I think the problem is they were made wrong, for some reason, don't know...
All the times, i have had that problem its been the front tire that came bad, don´t know if it is factory problem, the way it was transported or stocked.
It should be the shop where we go and buy the tires that should change them if they come with a problem, i know that most of the time this is not the case. So it's a good way to go, and call michelin and complain.

if it is always your front wheel - have you got it checked out?

is it buckled (if an alloy)? If spokes, are they tight and is the wheel true? is the bead seal in tact on the rim? To have multiple issues on multiple tyres would point to a wheel issue, vs a tyre issue for me.

if it is always your front wheel - have you got it checked out?

is it buckled (if an alloy)? If spokes, are they tight and is the wheel true? is the bead seal in tact on the rim? To have multiple issues on multiple tyres would point to a wheel issue, vs a tyre issue for me.

It was the tires, put new ones and the problem was gone, and on this bike i have had 8 or 9 sets of tires and this only happened on two times It was the front tire that had the problem, this is what the guy from the tire shop told me, as soon as he swapped the tire the problem was gone. The tire looked normal, but there was something wrong with it.

As slight aside if the Anakees are the Adventure or the wild and they are gathering dust I'd be interested

Sent from my SM-S908B using Tapatalk

Went back to the shop that installed my Road 6. They still had my old Anakee's. I explained I wanted to test my front tyre by installing back my old Anakee. As they were informed by me previously about the problem, they said they's do it free of charge and then put back Road 6, free of charge too. So they did, balanced it and I went for a test ride. The result is, the bike was perfect again. No pulling left at all. Then I went to one highway to see about the rear swerving, and that one was gone too. So everything was back to perfect. Went back to the shop, they put Road 6 again, balanced it and I went to the same roads for the test. Bike was pulling left again and the rear was swerving on the highway.
So, I have my conclusions now. It's the front tyre.

Just as an aside, although my anakee adventure tyres weren’t as confidence inspiring as the PRs, they lasted 7000 miles. My rear PR is almost shot at 3500.

Hello
Did you resolve your problems with pr6?
My 1200gsa also pulls left with no hands riding.
Colud you write your dot number?

I still have them on my bike and the problem is stil there. Can you tell me where is a dot number and how does it look? Is it the 4 digit number of production week/year?

Back
Top Bottom