Michelin Road 6 - never again

Assuming the other makes of bike aren’t having the same problem that sort of points the finger at the production of the 19 inch front.

Anybody seen complaints in other forums about the same?

There are similar issues reported on the Yamaha Super Tenere Forum on both sides of the Atlantic. I loved the PR5 Trails that I had on mine, but just had a pair of Conti TA3s fitted today.

I tried everything. Forgot to mention that shop refitted those tyres and it's all the same. Previous tyres, Anakee's, kept my bike perfectly stable. The bike (2021) is now with 9800 miles only, never ridden offroad. I don't know what to say. On other bike's forums (non BMW) I found hudreds of posts about the problem with Road 6 and they all say bike pulls to the left if you let go handlebars. One person at US GS forum has both symptoms with Road 6, bike one year older then mine, pulls left and rear swerving at higher speeds. He also say his bike was perfectly stable with old tyres.
Talked today with old guy (my age) who said he had Pirelly Scorpion Trail, 16 sets on his GS's (he always rode GS) and he can´t fault them. He said he used one set of Road 4 and liked them in the rain.
Well, in my region (south of Portugal) we have 300 sunny days a year and it almost never rains. I don't take my bike out if it rains outside. My experience with the rain is only from times I got cought by rain and then I take it very easy.
I don't know, I'm completely lost as I use Michelin Road series since 2012 and simply don't know anything about other tyres anymore.

It sounds like old fashioned wobble and weave that you are experiencing. I gather it's pretty rare these days and can be triggered by bike loading etc. Honda Paneuropeans of about 15 years ago famously suffered from it at speed. This film explains it https://youtu.be/z3OQTU-kE2s

In the interest of fairness, had the Michelin PR6's fitted to GS this morning after the A41's
Have done 80+ miles today and they are excellent, no pulling or drifting. cruise on, hands off and the bike stayed true
I could move it by leaning

Reactions: KJB
They have probably corrected the manufacturing error at this point. However, I'm not their client anymore, after the experience I've had with Road 6. Sadly, PR5 was great tyre.

Running Road 6's on my 1290 SAS - bought them last year at a good price and only got round to fitting them recently - so far an excellent tyre and no issues at all :)

They have probably corrected the manufacturing error at this point. However, I'm not their client anymore, after the experience I've had with Road 6. Sadly, PR5 was great tyre.
I've not read the full thread, but this sounds to me like the type was facing in the worn direction and lost stability at speed?

I'm sure your fitted checked this?? But perhaps the arrows had been put on the wrong way at the factory?

I know it's academic now as it was a year ago 🤷‍♂️

Great tyres. Though I don't have a GS, yet, but will fit them when I buy one.
Been a Michelin man for years and will be hard for me to use another brand.

Great tyres. Though I don't have a GS, yet, but will fit them when I buy one.
Been a Michelin man for years and will be hard for me to use another brand.

Reckon you will be fine, I took ownership of my GSA in February, with a new pair of PR6 fitted. I have only done a 1000 miles on them. In that time I have found them to do all I need, allows for spirited riding, grips well when leant over and works well in wet conditions.

I'm going to chirp in here. As someone who fits a lot of tyres and deals with a lot of people who buy tyres.

99.9999999999 % of the time people blame tyres for something, it's NOT the tyres.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with PR6's. Nor is there anything wrong or lethal with ANY tyre you can legally buy in the U.K. It's just the first thing people blame. I've fitted hundreds of them to all sorts of bikes. They are an extremely popular tyre fitted to thousands of bikes.

Consider the other BILLION variables with what can happen on the road or your bike.

Suspension, pressures, road surfaces and usually more than anything else.... THE RIDER !!

I'd be checking that theyre correctly mounted. Checking for damage or that the wheel is correctly fitted etc etc.
Id be willing to bet money there is nothing wrong with the tyres.

Back
Top Bottom