Michelin Road 6 - never again

bosnjo

Reaction score
2 months ago I took off my Michelin Anakee's that came with the bike (new). I liked those tyres but just couldn't stand the noise from the front. So, decided to go with model I liked a lot. On my previous bikes I always used Michelin Road (Pilot) 2, 3, 4 and 5. So, as I was always happy with them, I've chosen Michelin Road 6.
The first impession was great. On the way out of the garage that installed them, the front was dead quiet. It felt so good. Few days later, on the highway, I went over 150 km/h (93mph) and the rear started to "dance". It was swerving left-right-left. I lowered the speed and it was OK. I went up again and the swerving started again. I've got even more speed and it was still there. So I went to different highway with newer surface. Still the same... Tried 3rd highway, different surface again, still the same. I was not happy. At that point I thought that tyres were new and needed some time, as previous models of that tyre were always great on my bikes.
2-3 days later, just out of fun, I let go my handlebars and bike violently swerved left. Tried few times on different speeds, it was still turning left... a lot. Went back to the dealer that installed those tyres and he did all the procedure of front fork alignment . It was just a bit better but not solved and still dangerous.
Now, 2 months later and 1500 miles more, nothing has changed. All the problems are still there.
I researched through the hundreds of forums for different bikes and many riders encountered the same problems with Road 6 on their bikes (non BMW). They say it's not bad batch. The tyre is wrong.
I am shocked. Those tyres were expensive and I could sware in the previous models quality.
What the hell is this??????
So, I'll keep them through the winter and look for new tyres in the spring. I will have to research for the best 100% pavement tyre for my bike. I want good grip and I don't care about durability as sticky tyres don't last long and those are that I want.
On the original tyres, I had none of the problems described above.
Hard earned money thrown away.

Hi mate.

Not sure what could have happened here but many of us in the UK swear by the 6, personally I had 4’s 5’s and now 6 great tyre in wet and dry on 2gs and now gsa are you sure there is not a problem with the bike or balancing on the 6 most strange

Conti Road Attacks. :thumb2 I have Road Attack 2’s on my 1150 GS and they are superb! :thumb2

I can’t vouch for other tyres as I’ve not tried them, but I do favour my Conti Trail attacks, been buying them for years and very happy.

There’s no bad tyres per-se as long as they are the right fitment for the bike. There’s a very small number of rogue tyres that slip through quality management and there’s badly fitted tyres or incorrectly balanced/re-fitted wheels. Finally wrong pressure, a badly loaded bike, or badly worn suspension components can cause the wobbles.

Which do you think it is OP. It’s not the brand and model of tyre.

That’s a weird phenomenon you have there.

I also swore by Michelin PR series tyres, my last were Road 5 Trails on my Hexhead.

I got a set of Conti Trail Attack 3’s fitted to my 1250GSA on purchase after a recommend on here and now hearing your tale, I’m glad I chose them over the Road 6 Tyres. I know tyres are a personal choice but I really rate the TA3 and will be sticking with them from now on.

I have run thru 2 sets of Conti TA3s and absolutely loved them. The fitter couldn’t get me a new rear so I fitted road 6s and whilst I thought the Contis are good the Road 6s feel even better.

Barry

I tried everything. Forgot to mention that shop refitted those tyres and it's all the same. Previous tyres, Anakee's, kept my bike perfectly stable. The bike (2021) is now with 9800 miles only, never ridden offroad. I don't know what to say. On other bike's forums (non BMW) I found hudreds of posts about the problem with Road 6 and they all say bike pulls to the left if you let go handlebars. One person at US GS forum has both symptoms with Road 6, bike one year older then mine, pulls left and rear swerving at higher speeds. He also say his bike was perfectly stable with old tyres.
Talked today with old guy (my age) who said he had Pirelly Scorpion Trail, 16 sets on his GS's (he always rode GS) and he can´t fault them. He said he used one set of Road 4 and liked them in the rain.
Well, in my region (south of Portugal) we have 300 sunny days a year and it almost never rains. I don't take my bike out if it rains outside. My experience with the rain is only from times I got cought by rain and then I take it very easy.
I don't know, I'm completely lost as I use Michelin Road series since 2012 and simply don't know anything about other tyres anymore.

Bosnjo

I think this is the first time I’ve heard Road 6s being knocked, though you say there’s a lot on the web about it. Have you tried contacting Michelin direct? Occasionally manufacturers do have issues.
Years ago I took my old 320 BMW car in for a new exhaust.
Fitter came to me and said, got some bad news fir you, you need all new tyres!
Good news is Goodyear are paying, turned out the tyres were faulty.

May be worth raising your experience.

Conti Road Attacks. :thumb2 I have Road Attack 2’s on my 1150 GS and they are superb! :thumb2

Had these on a few bikes, always been good. On the GS in the wet they’re particularly reassuring.

Are you running the correct weight rating for the GS? That rating must include you, passenger, luggage. I run Road 6 on my Multistrada. Previously Rd 5 and 4, both rated 75W on a lighter bike.

I run the Road 6's on my 2021 GSA and have had no issues at all, I'm not even sure what would cause the rear to sway like that as a result of the tyre. I'd have thought vibration or something would be more likely if the balance was off or whatever before 90+ mph.

As others have said, I think this is the first time I've heard the Road 6's actually getting a properly negative review as even if folks have other preferences they never say the Road 6 is a 'bad' tyre. It will be interesting to see what happens when you get a new tyre put on there.

I run the Road 6's on my 2021 GSA and have had no issues at all, I'm not even sure what would cause the rear to sway like that as a result of the tyre. I'd have thought vibration or something would be more likely if the balance was off or whatever before 90+ mph.

As others have said, I think this is the first time I've heard the Road 6's actually getting a properly negative review as even if folks have other preferences they never say the Road 6 is a 'bad' tyre. It will be interesting to see what happens when you get a new tyre put on there.

I'm also completely lost as in last 10 years I always used Michelin Road series and have never had a single issue. I have no ideia what causes swerving of the rear of the bike.
When you let go your handlebars, does your bike push left like mine or it goes straight? Can you please check that?

Just fitted road 6s to my s1000xr, just done a picos trip and thought that they were superb never moved slipped or slid.

Sent from my SM-A226B using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom