Michelin Road 6 - never again

I still have them on my bike and the problem is stil there. Can you tell me where is a dot number and how does it look? Is it the 4 digit number of production week/year?

Yes 4 digit number w/y. When I back home I will check my dot.

I also swapped the OEM Anakees for PR6’s in August this year when my bike had its 600 mile service for same reason. I then took it on a 2000mile euro trip across the Alps.
On most of the riding I felt the PR6 were as good as the PR5’s I’d had on my previous GS.
With one glaring exception when we found ourselves on an unrestricted Autobahn, I gave it the beans & at around 115mph the bike started weaving with enthusiasm, with some experimentation I established it was completely speed related.
One of my companions had recently changed his PR5’s for PR6’s, he said he had not experienced the weaving I had described to him, but had not exceeded 95mph or so.
I’ve decided that PR6’s are intended for twisty mountain roads not for racing.

To be honest i need confidence in my tyres otherwise i would be riding nervously all the time.

if that was me i would get another brand of tyre fitted but ask the garage to give you the RP6s as they remove them.
if with another tyre the bike is ok.... throw the RP6s away

If the bike still does it with another set of tyres, then you need to take your bike in and get it sorted
after which you have 2 sets of tyres to use.

edit... just realised i only read page 1 of the posts lol

looks like you have your answer above. (post #34)
its a strange thing, maybe still contact Michelin as they need to know really.
and to be honest should supply you with another tyre

I have informed Michelin too, in Portugal, and got no response from them. Today I've sent the message to "Customer Service" on Michelin site and understood it went to France. Let's see if they say anything. They've probably "never heard of that problem".

Good idea. I will send a message to France to. Probably many riders doesn't know about this problem becouse they never ridden without hands on the handlebar

Someone on one of the GS Facebook pages are complaining of the same problem.

I was probably going for PR6’s when I change but this has put me off slightly.

Not the pulling to the left per se but the ball ache to get them sorted if it does. Especially as I usually buy online and fit them myself so there’s no garage/dealer to complain in person to.

Although It does seem rare as there are many many satisfied users.

I've recently had PR6 fitted, and the bike does pull to the left a bit more than previously when riding with no hands. For all that, it's completely undetectable in normal use, so I don't care.

Someone on one of the GS Facebook pages are complaining of the same problem.

I was probably going for PR6’s when I change but this has put me off slightly.

Not the pulling to the left per se but the ball ache to get them sorted if it does. Especially as I usually buy online and fit them myself so there’s no garage/dealer to complain in person to.

Although It does seem rare as there are many many satisfied users.
Try Conti Tail Attack 3 tyres...(W speed rating have more depth of tread than V rating). Good mileage, good wet and dry grip, extremely fast warm up, good turn in, not prone to punctures, quieter than most other makes on the front of a GS/A, nothing negative about them at all, no pulling to left or right, no nasty weaving.
Grip on mud not as good as more off road focused brands apparently... but will manage ok on the bit of grass in front of your local Starbucks.
It's a 'no - brainer' ... as extensively tested and recommended by our recently departed to new pastures (Ducati) resident tyre expert STICK.
I won't use anything else, ticks all the boxes for me except maybe a sexy looking tread pattern.

Sent from my SM-G981B using Tapatalk

I was an advocate of Conti TA, thought they were great tyres, and they are, but the Road 6's are grippier in dry and wet, the only issue is they seem to take longer to wear out, looking at around 6k miles at the present rate!

Try Conti Tail Attack 3 tyres...(W speed rating have more depth of tread than V rating). Good mileage, good wet and dry grip, extremely fast warm up, good turn in, not prone to punctures, quieter than most other makes on the front of a GS/A, nothing negative about them at all, no pulling to left or right, no nasty weaving.
Grip on mud not as good as more off road focused brands apparently... but will manage ok on the bit of grass in front of your local Starbucks.
It's a 'no - brainer' ... as extensively tested and recommended by our recently departed to new pastures (Ducati) resident tyre expert STICK.
I won't use anything else, ticks all the boxes for me except maybe a sexy looking tread pattern.

What he says.......:thumb

Wrong way round. V has more tread than W.

Wrong way round. V has more tread than W.
Phew! Thanks for pointing that out - I have a pair of V rated TA3 in my Protyre 'shopping basket' and for a moment there thought I'd cocked it up!

I’ve had no tyre issues with everything from the original Tourances through to the latest rubber available today, if it’s black and round and behaves predictably when pushed hard it’s fine by me, but a tyre that pulls left or right and weaves at speed sounds dodgy and best avoided when others are available.

I also swapped the OEM Anakees for PR6’s in August this year when my bike had its 600 mile service for same reason. I then took it on a 2000mile euro trip across the Alps.
On most of the riding I felt the PR6 were as good as the PR5’s I’d had on my previous GS.
With one glaring exception when we found ourselves on an unrestricted Autobahn, I gave it the beans & at around 115mph the bike started weaving with enthusiasm, with some experimentation I established it was completely speed related.
One of my companions had recently changed his PR5’s for PR6’s, he said he had not experienced the weaving I had described to him, but had not exceeded 95mph or so.
I’ve decided that PR6’s are intended for twisty mountain roads not for racing.
I had a similar experience at similar speeds on my Twin Cam. Had the front and rear suspension serviced, problem vanished. But now I can't afford to sit at 3 figure speeds for hours on end

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

There’s no bad tyres per-se as long as they are the right fitment for the bike. There’s a very small number of rogue tyres that slip through quality management and there’s badly fitted tyres or incorrectly balanced/re-fitted wheels. Finally wrong pressure, a badly loaded bike, or badly worn suspension components can cause the wobbles.

Which do you think it is OP. It’s not the brand and model of tyre.
Like many others in here I've found the TA3s and stayed with them. Great tyre.

However, at the last change (both tyres) I discovered there was a balance issue on the front - vibrations coming it at that all important 130kmh. Aftera return trip to Italy (god it was annoying putting up with it!!) I took the front wheel to a nearby dealer who did their best to correct the imbalance. They fired a 10g weight at 9 o'clock between the valve and usual weights. This made big difference with the vibes sneaking in at around 145kmh, but then then only slightly.

My conclusion is that the tyre was a duffer. But I'm still riding on it and incredibly I think it's worth itself perfectly round because I can't feel any vibes at any speed now!

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

Hi
Michelin have answered. They need my motorcycle technical data and information about set of my tyres. Ok. We are waiting for their next step.

Back
Top Bottom