North East Points of Interest.

barny

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Hello all next year I am going to follow some of Wappings routes and suggestions from the hook to Rugen and Islands back via Berlin and on to the Hartz area. What I am looking for are recommendations on the way to the islands. I've the Munster tank Museum, Peenemünde any other I would be Grateful for any other recommendations.

Thanks for reading

Barny

On the way to Rugen worth going via Laboe and Rostock , from Peenemunde worth travelling via Anklam then Neubrandenburg through the lakes area around Furstenburg Havel ( Ravensbruck ) and Oranienburg.

Lübeck, is worth a visit for a day. I enjoyed the boat trip on the river / canal and a marzipan ice cream.

This is not a bad little guide for simple ideas: https://www.placesandnotes.com/?p=24547

Then use a bit of imagination. I had never heard of the ‘Tauchgondel’ on Rugen, so I Googled it up.

65294e4a5fff4353a63032bfc6c8c35c.png

OK, the sites are in foreign but Google will translate them.

b5bb84741150ee95e8fe5af37be1c2a5.png

I’d have gone to see it, had I known it was there, when I spent a day on Rugen.

We stayed 2 nights in Saalstrund which was nice, allow a day for a liesurely tour of Rugen Island.

We did an overnighter at Sellin , nice hotels and restaurants , be interesting to see how much redevelopment they have completed at Prora as they were pushing on with luxury apartments at the east side of the complex when we visited

Thanks to everyone for your time I've plenty of food for thought now and lots of options on route each way.

Thanks all

Barny

It depends on how long you’ve got. If I was going to Berlin I’d stay slightly south and head through to Thuringia and on into Saxony. Spend a day or so in Dresden then go north to Berlin but staying close to the CZ border. It’s a more interesting ride than going further north towards Hannover once you’re off the ferry but as is ever the case, it’s all about time and what interests you most.

I liked the Baltic coast of Germany, with its Hanseatic towns, not least as it is ‘different’ to elsewhere in the huge country.

There is still miles of Germany I haven’t yet seen; something I hope to remedy at some point.

It was interesting when we spoke to the hotel owner where we stayed on Rugen, apparently well into the Communist era the area was relatively untouched and people kept on running family owned businesses , then at some stage the island was visited by the DDR leader and his wife who decided it was utterly delightful and needed to be preserved from the workers and kept for the Communist elite and their lackeys.

As a result all of the hotels and many of the businesses were seized and put under the care of loyal Communists for their entertainment and use.

Thankfully they got their properties back post reunification and from what we saw lots of money had been thrown at the area and economy.

Need to go back without the bike for a walking holiday

Back
Top Bottom