CB750 Hornet

The best Hornet review ever! I think you picked the best colour as well, congratulations. The wait is going to be awful though....

The best Hornet review ever! I think you picked the best colour as well, congratulations. The wait is going to be awful though....

Really interesting you mention the "wait" I asked what the lead time is and he told me 1 maybe 2 months...This is Portugal, so that would be a miracle! My expectations are not high...But as I was coming to the first roundabout from my mountain run I was saying to myself out loud in my helmet..."I want this and I want it now!"

The hot 80F mornings in the summer will be sublime...Most here do not wake too early, so it will be a so fucking good...The goat herders are not out in the summer, so more predictable roads and the main roads are free of all traffic, the Police are drinking coffee in the petrol stations and small bars...I see much fun to be had.

1-2 months isn't too long, but'll it'll seem so when awaiting a new motorcycle! Where do Honda make Hornets, Europe, Thailand, Japan? It sounds like an ideal motorcycle for how and where you ride.

I had one out today, obviously proper roads with no traffic to mention.
Now...My only recent experience of a new bike was the R9T Scrambler, I had this from 2017 until I fucked off in 2021, loved it, apart from the suspension, which I did eventually dial in to be satisfactory, the seat was always going to be a masochistic thing for me...It was fucking purgatory. So my experience of new bikes is obviously limited, I am an old duffer who likes boneshakers it seems. :D

Anyways my true passions are V Twins and V 8`s.

So got on the Hornet today in the town of Castelo Branco, nice day 20C, dry, blue skies...Headed out to the mountains from whence I came.

It was very good around the town as I left, slow 50KMH limits everywhere and it was a delight to ride, no surging, fluffing or anything like in sport mode, so left it where it was, in sport mode...I was impressed by the TFT thingy in direct sunlight, no difference to when I got on the bike in shade, so that is good, very good...The sound was glorious, V Twinish, no, pure V Twin! (weird!)

So out into open country and the thing was just fucking sublime, smooth, powerful, predictable...Now I am not used to these 200BHP bikes, but I have to question....200BHP, that must be like taking crack cocaine with heroin...I would be dead in a week or less!

This thing howls as you give it the berries, it fucking loves it and with traction control on, it still lifts the front wheel...I am no wheelie merchant, but turned it off and scared myself shitless...But I reckon because the power delivery is so linear and full on power through the rev range you could become a wheelie master, it really is that smooth and predictable...Powering out of corners was satisfying and braking going in was equally predictable and satisfying, very good. You can pre set the engine braking, so you could fine tune it for a familiar route and have an utterly brilliant ride...

Suspension was adequate for my 83Kg mass and the seat was comfortable for the duration...I have a one hour arse and it seemed to cope with this fine and being a shorty fucker at just over 5`7" there was plenty of room for me to move around and ample leg room for my stumpy little 29" legs :D...I can flat foot the fucker as well, not something I can do with any of my other bikes, especially the DR800! But I like a challenge.

How it looks...I think we can all agree that it looks like shit, it really does...But once on it, you can`t see it, mirrors were good as well and with minimal vibrations you can actually see what is behind you without having to grip the bars tightly to minimise vibrations, because there are not any!

In conclusion....I just fucking ordered it in Branco ( White) with a quickshifter, as it is worthy of one.

I will either be dead in the next 12 months, or looking forward to the accessories that will inevitably become available for such a brilliant bike to make it a little better.

Go ride one.

You could give Dan Walsh a run for his money with a report like that.:D

Oh yeah...I noticed the fuel consumption in the sales blurb as 4.35L per 100KM...The computer on my test ride stated 6L per 100KM...I have no idea what this equates to MPG, but 4.35 is clearly bollocks if you want to have fun!

I had to look up Dan Walsh...Still no real idea of who he is.

I think Att should start a video review channel along the line of The Missenden Flyer...... We need an honest reviewer to truly tell us about bikes. Not "it is a little heavy and soft on acceleration and there are a few blems in the paint..." rather "the fucking bike is a wallowing pig that looks like it was painted with roller and brush."

It’s nice but just TOO small

1190343a56ecbb1f12f3ca81ae8008d1.jpg

5b0d7eb7f5052e8befd9d2cccd5b1f62.jpg

ff2b8abde5c26580fb4866767b9ddcaf.jpg

Be fine for you ….as you are a lot shorter than er-minio

He wants to buy some longer jeans whilst there.;)
Or as the saying goes he wants some jam on his shoes.

I had one out today, obviously proper roads with no traffic to mention.
Now...My only recent experience of a new bike was the R9T Scrambler, I had this from 2017 until I fucked off in 2021, loved it, apart from the suspension, which I did eventually dial in to be satisfactory, the seat was always going to be a masochistic thing for me...It was fucking purgatory. So my experience of new bikes is obviously limited, I am an old duffer who likes boneshakers it seems. :D

Anyways my true passions are V Twins and V 8`s.

So got on the Hornet today in the town of Castelo Branco, nice day 20C, dry, blue skies...Headed out to the mountains from whence I came.

It was very good around the town as I left, slow 50KMH limits everywhere and it was a delight to ride, no surging, fluffing or anything like in sport mode, so left it where it was, in sport mode...I was impressed by the TFT thingy in direct sunlight, no difference to when I got on the bike in shade, so that is good, very good...The sound was glorious, V Twinish, no, pure V Twin! (weird!)

So out into open country and the thing was just fucking sublime, smooth, powerful, predictable...Now I am not used to these 200BHP bikes, but I have to question....200BHP, that must be like taking crack cocaine with heroin...I would be dead in a week or less!

This thing howls as you give it the berries, it fucking loves it and with traction control on, it still lifts the front wheel...I am no wheelie merchant, but turned it off and scared myself shitless...But I reckon because the power delivery is so linear and full on power through the rev range you could become a wheelie master, it really is that smooth and predictable...Powering out of corners was satisfying and braking going in was equally predictable and satisfying, very good. You can pre set the engine braking, so you could fine tune it for a familiar route and have an utterly brilliant ride...

Suspension was adequate for my 83Kg mass and the seat was comfortable for the duration...I have a one hour arse and it seemed to cope with this fine and being a shorty fucker at just over 5`7" there was plenty of room for me to move around and ample leg room for my stumpy little 29" legs :D...I can flat foot the fucker as well, not something I can do with any of my other bikes, especially the DR800! But I like a challenge.

How it looks...I think we can all agree that it looks like shit, it really does...But once on it, you can`t see it, mirrors were good as well and with minimal vibrations you can actually see what is behind you without having to grip the bars tightly to minimise vibrations, because there are not any!

In conclusion....I just fucking ordered it in Branco ( White) with a quickshifter, as it is worthy of one.

I will either be dead in the next 12 months, or looking forward to the accessories that will inevitably become available for such a brilliant bike to make it a little better.

Go ride one.
Well done Att, hopefully arrive for summer, great review

My g/f ordered one (black with red frame) towards the end of January and it was delivered on Monday. Build quality seems to be typically Honda (as in well put together), and she says it feels only slightly heavier than her CB500. Seat height is around the same as she can just about get both feet flat on the floor. Handlebars reported as comfortable and also of similar dimensions.

Haven't yet had the chance to go for a proper ride on it yet, but we're off on Friday to scratch that itch. Got to aim to rack up 600 miles before the end of April so that it can have the first oil change prior to a trip over to France.

She's gone for a few accessories including the panniers; although the racks they fit to are neat and unobtrusive when the panniers are off, they don't appear to quite have the capacity of the aftermarket ones on the CB500 and they're not fully waterproof so there may be some faffing around if we hit patches of rain.

First impressions generally really good....

Does anyone know if there are aftermarket screens available?

The one available from Honda as part of the purchase pack looks ok, but size-wise seems a waste of time and effort...

Back
Top Bottom