UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Anyone else wash their tent pegs after a trip? :D

Attachments

• 49B274B3-EDB9-4325-9F1A-800768FDDEE0.jpg
    49B274B3-EDB9-4325-9F1A-800768FDDEE0.jpg
    262.3 KB · Views: 352
Kin ell, an OCD camper.:D

The best I do, is put my KFS, mess tin and cup in the dishwasher.:)

Talking of OCD whoever put those diagonal braces on the gate needs thrashing... they're the wrong way round.

Either that or the gate has been hung the wrong way up, I would suggest the latter.

I wouldn’t have know that re the gate braces, every day is a school day.
The diagonals are there to stop the un hinged side of the gate from dropping.

In this case they should be top left to bottom right, so when the unhinged side tries to drop it is prevented from doing so by the diagonals being forced against the hinged upright and horizontal timbers.

This knowledge seems to have been lost today. Look at any old gate or door and they will be in the correct orientation. Look at the stuff produced today and it's hit or miss as to whether they are right.

Reactions: SBD
Talking of OCD whoever put those diagonal braces on the gate needs thrashing... they're the wrong way round.

Well spotted. The gate was put in / up by the fencing company but I wanted it to open from the other side so it got upsidedowned. :D. Well not upside downed but swapped side to side.

Well spotted. The gate was put in / up by the fencing company but I wanted it to open from the other side so it got upsidedowned. :D. Well not upside downed but swapped side to side.

It could have been upside downed and then all would have been well with the world.

Back to tent pegs...save on the expense of washing them, and just have your pre homewards ride pee over them. :D

Nope, I clean them with an old toothbrush as I pull them out :) Probably just as sad!

Nope, I clean them with an old toothbrush as I pull them out :) Probably just as sad!

Nothing sad about it. It keeps your kit nice and clean and you can check there’s no damage / defects whilst cleaning. And check you’ve not lost any along the way.
A few years back me and the ex arrived at the campsite in Val D’Isere only for me to discover I’d left the tent pegs back in my workshop in the UK after I’d cleaned them! :blast :D
I had to use screwdrivers, Allen keys and other implements for the first night. The next day I went to a shop and bought a set of stainless steel BBQ skewers! They worked a treat. :thumb2

I scrape the worst of the mud off the pegs and leave it at that.

I thought you lived full time in your RV and didn't have a house as well.

The diagonals are there to stop the un hinged side of the gate from dropping.

In this case they should be top left to bottom right, so when the unhinged side tries to drop it is prevented from doing so by the diagonals being forced against the hinged upright and horizontal timbers.

This knowledge seems to have been lost today. Look at any old gate or door and they will be in the correct orientation. Look at the stuff produced today and it's hit or miss as to whether they are right.

So how can you fix this situation- additional braces going the other direction ?

I scrape the worst of the mud off the pegs and leave it at that.

I thought you lived full time in your RV and didn't have a house as well.

I did / do live in my van still but moved back to my house in Worcestershire to be closer to my elderly parents. It’s a long boring story. Hey ho, the Hilleberg pegs are strong and light but not very long and not big enough for soft soggy ground and high winds. As I found out. :blast
They’ve already been swapped for bigger ones and I’ve ordered more of the same for my other two Hillebergs. :thumb2

Scrape the mud off and bang them straight if they were bent knocking them in.

I must admit that I’ve got bags with different types of pegs for different times of the year and different surfaces but they all get treated the same. I’ve also got lengths of elastic shock cord to tie the tent between trees or tie to heavy rocks if pegging the tent out isn’t practical such as if there’s deep snow in which case you tie the rock on the cord and pile snow on it.

Back
Top Bottom