ANYONE USED THESE TYRES FOR TRAIL RIDING?

Lee Frost

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
I've just taken delivery of a 2002 DRZ400s and it has virtually new tyres on it - a Pirelli Scorpion mx mid-hard 554 on the front and a Metzler MC360 mid-soft on the back. I'm going to be using the bike for trail riding down here is Cornwall, which often involves mud (it rains a lot!), slippery rock, sometimes sand.
Anyone used this tyre combo for trail riding? Thoughts?
I already have a pair of Mitas tyres (C19 front, CO2 rear) waiting to be fitted as I've had them before on a DRZ, but if the current set-up gets the thumbs up I might live with it for a while.

I used the MC360 on both ends and it's cheap, wears well - but I found it too skittery/slippery on the rock we have in the Dales (you may find it rock hard like a CO2 rear)

It was ok, now run Maxxis IT Pro and find they work very well in mud and wet rock and grip ok on the road too

That said I have a new rear Mich Tracker to try next, mated to a new Maxxis IT Pro on the front (new wheels built)

I would talk to your local TRF group. My experience at the TRF events in Devon/Cornwall use trials tyre on the back. Don't ask me which ones as I haven't got a scooby doo.

I would talk to your local TRF group. My experience at the TRF events in Devon/Cornwall use trials tyre on the back. Don't ask me which ones as I haven't got a scooby doo.

Good point, well made
That’s a Pirelli MT43 Trials rear

Thanks chaps. No TRF in Cornwall, but I'm part of a local group who ride the trails so I'll ask them as well.
I'll give them a go before I switch to the Mitas.

Thanks chaps. No TRF in Cornwall, but I'm part of a local group who ride the trails so I'll ask them as well.
I'll give them a go before I switch to the Mitas.

I thought there was a TRF group in Cornwall
Has it folded ?
I would use a MT43 trials tyre on the rear, Lee

Maxxis IT Pro Intermediate and Metz 6 days up front (Med) works perfectly for Devon and Cornwall

I thought there was a TRF group in Cornwall
Has it folded ?
I would use a MT43 trials tyre on the rear, Lee

I think it folded some time ago John. In the past I've used Mitas CO2 rear and C19 front and been very happy with them. I bought a pair to fit on the DRZ, but as the current tyres have had so little use I'm going to stick with them for a while and see how I get on. It's not like I'm flying along muddy trails at 40mph - rarely get out of 3rd gear!

There is still some Cornwall TRF activity with horse trail marshalling but it's all offline, the forum is still there but little used. The Devon forum is more active and includes many who ride over the border.
There was a time when I'd say Pirelli MT43 rear and Mich Comp 4 front but tyres have moved on and almost any enduro tyre is now good on rock or at least a lot better than some that were available in the past. Tyre pressures and suspension are important though and it depends on whether you want to tackle the four or five harder Cornish lanes, as many people miss them out or ride around whilst those that can breeze up them do so.
Rider ability is also important and I've seen it all on Cornish rock from F650 Dakars on rally tyres to Serows on bald mx tyres make them all look easy.

Back
Top Bottom