New to Harley lark

Rev Chuck

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Evening people!

I am now the owner of 2009 Road King FLHR in a nice shade of blue. I am still trying to understand that whole HD way of doing things. I have a bunch of questions which I do hope you do not mind me asking.
My nearest HD dealership is in Glasgow or Edinburgh about 150 miles away, so cannot just pop down to ask any questions.

First, I have not become a HOG member yet. Should I? Or should I just leave it alone?
I do not ever remember becoming a member of the UKGSer Club (I'm sure BHT will be along in a moment to say "This is not a club!" I know!!!) So does being a member of HOG have any benefits?

Second, the bike came with only one fob. I got the bike from a dealership in Darlington, Co. Durham. Very pleasant chap and chapess - he rides a 1250GSA with a very lowered seat height - but it was a 21 plate I think and well out of my price range. They said that the bike only came with one fob. Is it relatively easy to get a new one?

Third, having come from the 1150GSA which is still in the garage, but will be sold - my short legs and my loss of weight mean I cannot safely put my feet down on the ground when I stopped, so need something lower in the seat height. 1150GSA tank capacity about 33l and giving 300 miles before refill. Coming home from Darlington on the HD, 160 miles. Does anyone know whether or not you can you get bigger tanks for Road Kings? Or would that just be prohibitively expensive?

I have questions about helmets, because my current flip front peaked helmet causes great vibrations above the screen, but that may come later.

Thanks for reading and any wisdom that may come my way - recognising that as always with this site, there may be an amount of piss taking along the way. Help yourself.

Cheers, guys!

So a 2009 RK, presumably from Billaus. They aren't cheap. but manage to source some very clean low mileage stock.

To answer you questions..........

HOG - very much a personal choice & largely depends on whether you have an active local chapter that suits you.

Key fob - I thought HD provided 2 button key fobs & barrel keys back then. Best get a security PIN back-up set now & maybe think about a second fob if it's absence worries you. C. £40 on eBay. Could it still be with a previous owner - what was the story from the selling dealer?

Tank - HD bikes are just about the most readily customised machines on the planet, but I think you will find the cost of a big tank or enlarging the existing prohibitive & frankly unnecessary TBH. I have seen iron butt riders with huge extra fuel cells on the back of touring models, but I wouldn't recommend it personally.

Helmet - from what you describe, I guess you have an up-draught issue. Some say a fork baffle helps, but it's probably mainly the peak that is to blame - is it removeable?

Anyway, enjoy the new ride. Why not keep the GSA - after all, everyone needs a spare bike or 2.

HOG….. it’s up to you if the “lifestyle” suits…… it’s not for me…

FOB, do you have the 4 digit security code, accessed via the indicators.. read up on this.. in the manual.. your MY should have had two fobs and keys… they stopped issuing two fobs about 2021..

Keys can be ordered to the four digit code under the black cover…(on the key) about £40 for two from HD.. some locksmiths can cut them circa £15 each…

160 is a bit light for a RK tank…. 180-200 should be achieved without stress… bigger tank .. nah.. yours should be a 6 gallon (US, so 5 gallon UK (22l) tank.. @ 40mpg… max range 200….I always filled at 180…

2009 was a model year change… new frame… do you have a 180 section rear tyre? Or the 150?

Ditch the peak, it conflicts with airflow..

Oh and be aware of twizzles law…..

“Do not spend money on farkles for 6 months…. As by then you will know if a Harley is for you……if it is you are in for life… if not you will be selling… “

I think the GSA has spoiled you in terms of range expectations, many bikes would do well to get as much as 160 miles before a refill.

Hi and welcome to the Harley lifestyle.

I got 12 months free membership when I bought my Roadglide earlier this year.

2,000 miles and I’m really pleased with it. This included Thunder in the Glens in August but not much use since as I toured on the GSA this year.

Not bothered personally with HOG but lots of folk are.

Tank range will be nothing like the bigger tanks on a GSA but I’m happy to stop after 150 miles for a brew.

I never really gelled with my previous Harleys but I’m very happy with the Roadglide.

HOG Rideout's following the road captain with all the Harley gear on.
Sounds good.;)

Ps You will need a get back whip. I happen to have one for sale. :D

Welcome!

To answer a few of your questions...

Regarding HOG, most chapters are based out of the local dealerships, so if you have 150 miles to go to your nearest dealership, then it's probably a non-starter anyway. But next time, you are at one of the dealerships, have a look at their HOG riding programme. You may see stuff that takes your fancy and makes it worth joining just so you do some of the rallies or overseas trips.

Another option is the Harley Davidson Rider's Club of Great Britain. (HDRCGB). They may have more activity close to where you are located.

Getting only 160 miles on a Road King is worrying. They are touring bikes and I know people who get way more than 200 miles on a tank even two up. If you can really only get 160 miles, then something is wrong and probably needs looked at. But first, check your mileage per tank again as Harley fuel gauges can be less than accurate at times.

Helmet buffeting - could be the peak of your lid. Try taking that off first if possible. If not, there are many, many screen options available for a Road King. Some people also swear by "Fang" type deflectors on the forks. People do seem to report good results from the screens with the built in air vent.

So a 2009 RK, presumably from Billaus.

HOG - very much a personal choice & largely depends on whether you have an active local chapter that suits you.

Key fob - I thought HD provided 2 button key fobs & barrel keys back then. Best get a security PIN back-up set now & maybe think about a second fob if it's absence worries you. C. £40 on eBay. Could it still be with a previous owner - what was the story from the selling dealer?

Tank - I think you will find the cost of a big tank or enlarging the existing prohibitive & frankly unnecessary TBH.

Helmet - from what you describe, I guess you have an up-draught issue.

Anyway, enjoy the new ride. Why not keep the GSA - after all, everyone needs a spare bike or 2.

Thanks squibb.
Yes to Billaus.
Yep, I understand personal choice re-HOG, just wondered if there were benefits.
I need to further investigate the fob situation, and try and find a manual for the thing. The pack that came with the bike was woefully short on information regarding the machine as it was originally, but had plenty of service info.
Tank - that was my worry. While I do not entirely take every YouTube video seriously, I have yet to find one where a RK is getting fitted with a bigger tank.
Helmet, even with peak off is not good.
Thanks for the response.

HOG….. it’s up to you if the “lifestyle” suits…… it’s not for me…

FOB, do you have the 4 digit security code, accessed via the indicators.. read up on this.. in the manual.. your MY should have had two fobs and keys… they stopped issuing two fobs about 2021..

Keys can be ordered to the four digit code under the black cover…(on the key) about £40 for two from HD.. some locksmiths can cut them circa £15 each…

160 is a bit light for a RK tank…. 180-200 should be achieved without stress… bigger tank .. nah.. yours should be a 6 gallon (US, so 5 gallon UK (22l) tank.. @ 40mpg… max range 200….I always filled at 180…

2009 was a model year change… new frame… do you have a 180 section rear tyre? Or the 150?

Ditch the peak, it conflicts with airflow..

Oh and be aware of twizzles law…..

“Do not spend money on farkles for 6 months…. As by then you will know if a Harley is for you……if it is you are in for life… if not you will be selling… “

Thanks Twizzle.
You say some of the same things as squibb, so I will refer you to my answer to him.
And where, may I ask, is the Twizzles Law kept?

Thanks Twizzle.
You say some of the same things as squibb, so I will refer you to my answer to him.
And where, may I ask, is the Twizzles Law kept?

On velum in the bilge of BHT’ yacht..

Many here have farkled early…..it always costs them

Ref a manual - factory manuals are best - watch eBay they come up for sale all the time - expensive new @£140 from Harley though - but they are great.

I bought my 2006 Fat Boy 2 years ago . its lovely . I has one new in 2001 and always regretted selling it . First year just rode it . After a year had the wheels and forks polished . No tat added . Just had a service and new brake pads . Still looks like new . Of my 3 bikes it is the keeper ...........................my wife however thinks it is pointless but then ............................... she can be a bit harsh :D

I bought my first Harley (an RKS) two years ago - there's a thread on it somewhere if you can be arsed to look (but I wouldn't bother)

Farkled it early on as hadn't been educated in the ways of Twizzle back then :D.

It is now my most used bike and I love it (and am still adding bits whenever the mood takes me!)

Welcome to the strange but rather charming world of Harley ownership. :)

Some owners manuals for older bikes are available online for free.

I managed to download one for my 1990 bike so maybe you could do that?

Are you a real Reverend? :D

Attachments

• 317BD6D4-6D32-4B50-B8E8-2C3EDA52FA82.jpg
    317BD6D4-6D32-4B50-B8E8-2C3EDA52FA82.jpg
    121.3 KB · Views: 154

Back
Top Bottom