Rosyth Zeebrugge Route....

Jazbee

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Saw this earlier this morning.....Interesting if it comes to pass.

947730d90dd114ad5ab4ccc4f5a8d6e0.jpg

I saw that and live in hope. But I wonder what has changed since the last lot failed to make it pay despite subsidy?

Hmmm...interesting even if just a skim through..

We'll see, it would be great if it happens but I won't be surprised if it dies a death.

I don't really mind the journey to Newcastle via lunch in Eyemouth, but the journey to the south coast is dreadful on a bike...done it thousands of times in the car, but not keen on 2 wheels. And as for Hull....:D

Hmmm...interesting even if just a skim through..

We'll see, it would be great if it happens but I won't be surprised if it dies a death.

I don't really mind the journey to Newcastle via lunch in Eyemouth, but the journey to the south coast is dreadful on a bike...done it thousands of times in the car, but not keen on 2 wheels. And as for Hull....:D
Indeed, I'm about 2 hours from Rosyth but at least 8 from Hull and not an enjoyable journey, the only upside was that Micky got me a discount

I can trump you there...the lastt time I went from Hull I stayed at Mickys and drank the whisky he hadn't been able to hide in the cellar....:D:D:D

The 20 hours for the crossing seems at first glance for it not to be that helpful. For me to get it after work, in Aberdeen, it would need to leave at about 6pm, which means an arrival at 2pm the next day.

Balance against this, the Newcastle / Hull ferries mean I need to take a day to get there. Also, no need to battle with worst of the Central Belt's traffic.

Really hope it takes off without taking the proverbial regarding fares , Zeebrugge was desperate not to lose the Hull route and wanting to establish a UK passenger ferry route when it was cut

Certainly some local Scottish politicians are keen....how much their burbling translates into solid action remains to be seen. It pretty much depends, as with many things, on the view of the green blob, since they seem to be dictating transport policy, and the government can't do much without them on board. It may be too much to encourage a boat whose purpose is to facilitate leisure use of road vehicles, but the prospect of removing freight from roads to boats could outweigh their resistance
The distance between political desire and commercial outcomes may be too far.
Ultimately it will be a decision driven by profits/costs...a wholly commercial one, and I can't see much has changed.
Happy to be proved wrong though!

Certainly some local Scottish politicians are keen....how much their burbling translates into solid action remains to be seen. It pretty much depends, as with many things, on the view of the green blob, since they seem to be dictating transport policy, and the government can't do much without them on board. It may be too much to encourage a boat whose purpose is to facilitate leisure use of road vehicles, but the prospect of removing freight from roads to boats could outweigh their resistance
The distance between political desire and commercial outcomes may be too far.
Ultimately it will be a decision driven by profits/costs...a wholly commercial one, and I can't see much has changed.
Happy to be proved wrong though!

Also, what about the A9 duelling (or, rather, lack of)!

Also, what about the A9 duelling (or, rather, lack of)!

Exactly....they promised to do it, and the A96, but not enough fools voted for them so they rely on the green blob, who resist any new road building. Doubt they've got enough money anyway, unless they sell an airport or a ship building yard, or stop spending money on worthless pursuits....

^^^
That screwed-up CalMac ferry contract in Ferguson’s yard could have dualled most of Scotland.

Can I ask where it might be that you found this information at all.
I am interested and want to read a bit more if possible.
Thanks

Always good to have alternative ferry options - but, like Gerard, I don't really mind the run down to Newcastle - some decent routes are available:thumb - but maybe too far for those further north?
The problem for me is that I've never found Zeebrugge to be a convenient start point in Europe.
Also, the additional time at sea really screws up plans a bit and unless they use a huge cruise-ferry (unlikely?) it's likely to be a long and uncomfortable crossing in poor weather on a small-ish vessel.
I've used DFDS Newcastle - Amsterdam for two return trips this year and while it has it's faults I think it has gradually improved over many years.

Cheers..............Grizzly:beerjug:

Always good to have alternative ferry options - but, like Gerard, I don't really mind the run down to Newcastle - some decent routes are available:thumb - but maybe too far for those further north?
The problem for me is that I've never found Zeebrugge to be a convenient start point in Europe.
Also, the additional time at sea really screws up plans a bit and unless they use a huge cruise-ferry (unlikely?) it's likely to be a long and uncomfortable crossing in poor weather on a small-ish vessel.
I've used DFDS Newcastle - Amsterdam for two return trips this year and while it has it's faults I think it has gradually improved over many years.

Cheers..............Grizzly:beerjug:

I am 30 miles from Newcastle but drive down to Hull to use P and O , not because I want to give money to them but because the run down into Germany or Belgium from Ijmuiden is such a PITA, at least with Europoort you can be off the Dutch roads in just over 60 minutes

The 20 hours for the crossing seems at first glance for it not to be that helpful.

That will be more of interest to freight customers who will be looking to get their drivers a 24hr break on the ship so they can go straight out onto their route upon reaching Zeebrugge. And it is the freight that will be the making of the route as it will keep the service viable in the months when the holiday makers are all at home.

I live up on the Moray coast and I really don't mind the solid 300 mile schlep to Newcastle via Lecht / Glenshee / Jedburgh etc..all part of the trip...bit different on the way home though !
Although, last 2 years I've used either Chunnel or Bilbao to Portsmouth and then have had to endure a 700 mile plus trudge home.

As for the A96 duelling...so glad it hasn't gone ahead as I'd have had the new road about 200 metres away from my house :mad:

And anyway, it would only save around 45 minutes on a journey from Aberdeen to Inverness..people are just too impatient now!

Dual the sections that are more easily duallable...and prohibit tractors and any other slow moving cnuts from using it between the hours of 07.00 and 18.00 = fixed !

Rant over, I'd definitely use a ferry from Rosyth if the Gerarddwatts coffee & bacon butty stop was available :beerjug:

Back
Top Bottom