Rosyth Zeebrugge Route....

I live up on the Moray coast and I really don't mind the solid 300 mile schlep to Newcastle via Lecht / Glenshee / Jedburgh etc..all part of the trip...bit different on the way home though !
Although, last 2 years I've used either Chunnel or Bilbao to Portsmouth and then have had to endure a 700 mile plus trudge home.

As for the A96 duelling...so glad it hasn't gone ahead as I'd have had the new road about 200 metres away from my house :mad:

And anyway, it would only save around 45 minutes on a journey from Aberdeen to Inverness..people are just too impatient now!

Dual the sections that are more easily duallable...and prohibit tractors and any other slow moving cnuts from using it between the hours of 07.00 and 18.00 = fixed !

Rant over, I'd definitely use a ferry from Rosyth if the Gerarddwatts coffee & bacon butty stop was available :beerjug:

Always a stop here Mike!

Hear what you say Mike, but the number of fatals on the A9 this year would suggest that this main arterial route should be dualled urgently....especially as they promised to do it 15 years ago!

Thanks Gerard and Jazbee! I was thinking there was a more specific place for the info.
I do not think I would have found the travel tomorrow.com link.
Appreciate the sharing.:thumby:
Think it's been the ubiquitous 'press release' and picked up by the various outlets, no doubt there will be more as and if it progresses, hope it does but as someone mentioned above, it will be down to the freight interest if it is to make economic sense

That will be more of interest to freight customers who will be looking to get their drivers a 24hr break on the ship so they can go straight out onto their route upon reaching Zeebrugge. And it is the freight that will be the making of the route as it will keep the service viable in the months when the holiday makers are all at home.

yes, it will have to be run along the lines of the DFDS/Transmanche Newhaven-Dieppe route, or the old Brittany Ferries Economie routes. Primarily freight to keep it going in the off peak season, with containers of low priority stuff on bogies to fill up spare space. With the congestion at places like Immingham and Felixstowe, this might become attractive for some people in the north.

Always a stop here Mike!

Hear what you say Mike, but the number of fatals on the A9 this year would suggest that this main arterial route should be dualled urgently....especially as they promised to do it 15 years ago!

A9 or A96 Gerry ?
The Fatals on the A96 are focussed on certain sections so it would make sense to use any available budget on these specific areas, other parts seem to flow reasonably well...providing Farmer Palmer ( old Vis ) stay the fuck away at certain times of the day !
All along the A96 route there is a network of 'U' and 'B' roads , both North and South, so there really is no excuse for say, a tractor or JCB, to travel for more than one mile on the trunk road....this is what causes the impatience and the risk overtakes.

Sorry, rambling on again.

See you for a bacon butty / coffee / lunch somewhere , let me know if you are oop North and I'll do the same :thumb2

Ferry , yes please :D

Rosyth ferry is still on course to start sailing to Zeebrugge early next year, insists MP

Is the headline in todays Dunfermline Press.......

Daily Record(!) Today 8.11.22

A new ferry link between Scotland and mainland Europe is set to launch in spring 2023, and while it will initially be for freight only, passenger transportation could soon follow

Daily Record(!) Today 8.11.22

A new ferry link between Scotland and mainland Europe is set to launch in spring 2023, and while it will initially be for freight only, passenger transportation could soon follow

I believe every word written in that newspaper :blast

Rosyth ferry

I used the old Rosyth ferry loads of times with the bike and 3 or4 times with the car, I thought it was a good service and enjoyed riding 10 minutes from my door to the ferry 😎. I then started to travel down to Newcastle only 3 hours ish from here.
Anyway if the new boat was similar to the old one I’d be happy enough to use it.

I see the latest plot is to overcome the apparent lack of berthing spots in Zeebrugge by using Dunkirk instead...welcome news if so....far better for France. But we'll see...

Can't link off the phone but its from the Dunfermline Press....

I see the latest plot is to overcome the apparent lack of berthing spots in Zeebrugge by using Dunkirk instead...welcome news if so....far better for France. But we'll see...

That could be re-phrased to say, “we’re working hard on getting a better port deal at Dunkirk than Zeebrugge are offering“ otherwise the financials don’t stack up.

In the end, the route is simply unprofitable unless it’s supported by large subsidy.

I’m also puzzled by the claim in the press that it will lessen the impact due to the shortage of HGV drivers? This only works if the freight is unaccompanied shirley?

Good luck to them, tho.

Sailing under the bridge in my profile pic, what's not to like :)

More options the better, we are cut off from many places, such as Norway... why isn't this a thing, profits probably.
why cant a ferry operator run say 3 different routes/countries on different days, nobody is saying they have to run 3 times a day to the same place if the demand isn't there.

Hull is 2hrs from home for me which is acceptable.
Rosyth is 5 hours
Chunnel is about 6 hrs

*cough* SNP MP. The day before a crucial by election. Just sayin' like!

Enjoy your day Gerry!

I'm only 100 miles from Hull, but would happily use Rosyth, it's always a much nicer run from North West Englandshire to Scotland, if the other option was heading to Dover, or Portsmouth.

I'm only 100 miles from Hull, but would happily use Rosyth, it's always a much nicer run from North West Englandshire to Scotland, if the other option was heading to Dover, or Portsmouth.
Agree completely. The only times I venture south is to the tunnel. The tunnel is a great way to cross but it’s a bloody awful journey to get to it.

Back
Top Bottom